The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-01-2009, 02:17 PM

Paul those are the same techniques I've had to use in the past to get things to line up.

I need help for the 400# treatment but not much.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-01-2009, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I propped my endura on some 4x4s, jacked my truck up and let it down on the endura to get a bow out of the lower rail....It didn't budge it.
400-4spd finally gave me a suggestion that actually worked.

Paul, I need to contact you by pm for some of those techniques on the rear quarter to deck lid adjustment. I've had that problem for a long time and used three different deck lids and a 4x4. Still wrong.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ok, all of this caveman talk on the endura got me thinking. My hood is slightly high in the front center but even on both of the sides. So tonight, I put a jack under the center of my bumper and then put a bottle jack inside the bumper against the metal inner structure and applied pressure raising the center up a bit past the level of the hood. It returned down but not as low as before. So, I did the same proceedure from the headlights working my way back to the center and it is now just about right. It didn't involve a big stick but was it close enough for me to join the caveman club??

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're in ! Congratulations!

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 09-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula,
UGH!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Greg is a brave and determined man!

Greg, does this bring back memories? I got slammed in this one, too.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hlight=Hot+Rod

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 09-02-2009 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Formula8, I'm glad you liked my photo. I figured this thread could use some humor.
And yes, you can now become a Junior member of the Caveman "Club". To become a Senior member takes more time. Using a 2 lb. sledge hammer, you must first totally obliterate a minimum total of 20 board feet of white pine 2X4, cut to various lengths. After that time you can occasionally use oak and other hardwoods.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Formula,
UGH!

A similar method can be used for pulling major damage in a pinch. Chain bolted to plates where the hinges go and run thru a Reciever on a heavy truck will move an A pillar back into place or pull frame horns out if the injured vehicle is braced against a concrete wall.

Been there done that when there was no other timely option.

Greg, you've done a helluva job on that car.

Mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
That Greg is a brave and determined man!

Greg, does this bring back memories? I got slammed in this one, too.
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...hlight=Hot+Rod

Boy...Yes I do remember and I had forgotten about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon
A similar method can be used for pulling major damage in a pinch. Chain bolted to plates where the hinges go and run thru a Reciever on a heavy truck will move an A pillar back into place or pull frame horns out if the injured vehicle is braced against a concrete wall.

Been there done that when there was no other timely option.

Greg, you've done a helluva job on that car.

Mike
Thanks Mike...I'll wait to see how it looks with shiney paint on it before I feel too good about it though. It's been a good learning experience, I'll say that much. Some things I would do differently but at this point, I'm riding with it.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you kidding me??? To keep up with you guys I need a jack, multiple 2X4's and a truck!!! The bar is set pretty high in this club.

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Something else that will work is a tree and a short piece of 4x4. This works good when you need to pull a radiator support out. I've done this a lot of times, just have your sheet metal on hand so you can test fit as you go. Pull car up to tree, insert 4x4 between frame and tree, get a good come-a-long , wrap around tree,and start pulling .You will have to pull past where it needs to be, as it will try to return when you release pressure. Not proud of this caveman method, but it works when you don't have a frame machine.

Old 09-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
Are you kidding me??? To keep up with you guys I need a jack, multiple 2X4's and a truck!!! The bar is set pretty high in this club.
I've seen damage pulled out with a D7 Cat so the crew could get home. Bad things happen when a truck is ran over with a large peice of construction equipt!

Mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 09-03-2009, 02:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

"So easy, a caveman can do it." (Can't believe I am the first to get that in!)

-J

Old 09-03-2009, 02:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

At my dad's shop they used a big oak tree for some bent frames in the 60's, 70's Grandfather might even have used it back in the forties.

Of course a GFH helped too.

69 400 Block, .030 over, KRE eagle stroker kt, KRE,CNC ported e-heads 310 cfm, port match RPM , comp roller 236/245@.05 586/600 lift 110 LS. 1.5 HS roller rockers, 350 Transmission, Red Neck tight 3500 stall converter, Ford 9” with 3.75’s, Strange center section, Moser 31spline axels, 29”Mt slicks, HRPARTSNSTUff anti roll system, Doug’s Headers 3.5” collectors, 22”Dynomax mufflers w/ H-pipe, Cliffs Q-jet, Fuel cell with sumps, Mallory 140 fuel pump and filter. Denny’s 3.5” drive shaft.