Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-14-2007, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why are the biggest *****-stirrers the ones that don't even have a car to race?

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 08-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As reported last year, the early blocks were cast at:

http://www.Tri-Cast.com

They can be identified by a Triangle logo cast into the block near the distributor hole. Within that triangle are the initials "TC".

Rich's block at Norwalk this weekend did not have a "TC" logo.

But as noted it DID NOT have splayed caps. And the oil leak in fact was coming from the seal around the valley pan.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An aquantence who gets all his stuff from RRE and never even done business with KRE constantly trashes KRE. Amazing resemblance to Brian and Knucklehead. Makes one wonder whats up with that. I dont know you Brian or Knucklehead but if they've done you guys wrong personally then I could understand. But beyond that whats the point? Personally I dont want this to be "National Enquirer" for Pontiacs, Though a seperate forum for RUMORS and WAR of WORDS might be an alternative solution to banning you guys. Brian I know you have offered credible/useful info more than once but sometimes .....? Knucklehead ....? Who are you that wont post by your real name anyway? You one of B.F.'s friends? Calm down and enjoy JUNIOR member with 8 posts!

Last edited by BruceWilkie; 08-14-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R
The block has a "shiney" appearance, I remember some very early blocks that I saw at KRE having a much darker color.Cliff

I noticed the MR-1 I have is considerably darker in color than my IA-2. I don't think they would have sold you an old block but I do find it interesting that the new blocks have a different appearance. Could it be a better material and possible the old blocks were of a lessor grade of iron. If thats the case, Im sure everyone would leave them alone a feel confident about the new blocks if they came clean. But then again maybe they feel there was nothing wrong with the material in the old blocks.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron H
I vote for Nucklehead to be banned as his postings serve no purpose but to be a d*ck. He is probably someone who was banned from this site before? I hope you are not Lou?
Maybe a person who is only allowed to post in the clubhouse????

Old 08-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
Hey azbirds weren't you the guy that posted he could do all of the tests on the MR1 block but never reported the results?? What happoened to you. Where are the results of your extensive testing?
Yeah, Ron, That's me. I never said anything about extensive testing. Talking to the engineerswas enlightening, it seems the best way to test for ultimate strenght is to do a yield test. I was not about to cut up my block to make a test bar to pull apart. If anyone has a part they can send I'll gladley do it.

Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 PM
Boost Engineer

You could talk to Brad Spidel as he had some broken main web parts but I bet they were confiscated by the block manufacturer for discussions with the foundry.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If in doubt Brinnell test a block, it's at least a starting point. No extensive testing nessessary, very simple, almost drive-up service... load it in a truck, drive to the nearest certified heat treating facility and have it Brinnell tested on the back of the truck bed. My cost was $50, plus $15.50 for certification.

Put your mind at ease, you might have a lot invested. And you might throw in an extra $100 bucks for sonic testing as well. That should be standard stuff anyway !

Old 08-15-2007, 07:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We didn't test the block for two reasons, first, we simply figured that since we waited this long, any problems associated with them would have been corrected. We also were under very tight time constraints, having to assembly the engine in 2 days and get it in the car in time for the Norwalk race.

Everything went fine as we previously mentioned, however, some of the folks we talked to thought that the old blocks had straight 4 bolt caps, and the new blocks were supposed to be splayed caps. Since ours were straight caps, this may be where the contraversy about the block has came from? In any case, the best testing ground is the dragstrip. Making over 700hp will find any problems with the block and/or associated parts.

To be real honest, the crankshaft scares me more than the block, as they haven't been in production long enough to see if there are going to be any problems with them?

We are dropping the oil filter and cutting it open at regular intervals, to keep an eye on things. It will quickly tell us if internal problems are developing, so far, it's clean every time.....Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-15-2007, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool Just a question?

How many passes were on Spidels MR-1 block (and pics posted) before it was dis-assembled and serious problems were found before serious issues coulda developed ?

Time will tell......... I don't see a company selling a block, taking a chance on another castastophy and telling that person........ Oh well, too.
There were issues before. A lot of people got screwed,
Don't see how a company would take the same chance again.

While we are on Product development, issues and durability. Did Brad ever find out why his High Port heads wouldn't hold a gasket?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE
While we are on Product development, issues and durability. Did Brad ever find out why his High Port heads wouldn't hold a gasket?
Word has it that his heads did not receive the proper heat treatment (or any heat treatment at all), therefore they're soft too (just like his block was). You won't hear this publicly from Brad, however, as he has a gag order as per his agreement with KRE over his block deal. First I've heard of anyone having this problem with a KRE head...I know many racers personally running KRE heads and they've never encountered such a problem. Ken, remember this issue with the old Wenzlers?

Old 08-15-2007, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thought Brad's sealing issue turned out to be the studs pulling the treads out of the block.
Someone from here called and told him to check the mains asap.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior
Thought Brad's sealing issue turned out to be the studs pulling the treads out of the block.
Someone from here called and told him to check the mains asap.
That was the original premise when he had the MR1 block. He disassembled it and found the main webbing was busted out of it (see Keefer's post here for pic). After replacing it with an IA2 block he was still having head sealing issues, but at least this time he was able to get some passes in before his leakdown tests went into the crapper. So it appears now he had two problems before...soft block AND soft heads. Now he just heas one.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ken, no i don't know why my high ports won't hold a seal, neither my d-ports either. all i can say is that the d-ports failed worse than the high ports at the same boost level. i am working on the the situation and i think i have found the differences between my previous combos and the current. as far as the high ports being soft, i have not tested them other than on a running conbo and the gasket seal was better than with the steal heads after 2 passes on each. with the high ports i ran a .080 copper gasket and with the d-ports i ran a .043 copper gasket, 63cc verses 74cc, both ended up with almost the same base compression ratio. the one thing that remains constant from last year and this year is a 48cc dish piston with a .000 deck hieght. this is the one thing that is different from all of my previous combos with the f-2. in the past i have always ran the pistons down in the hole at least .105. the only other difference is the amount of block material that is left between the cylinders with the 4.35 bore. what i can say is that the high port heads are worth 155 horsepower over my d-ports, this with the same boost boost level-119.53mph@3580# versus 112.12mph@3620# in the 1/8 mile.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchospidel
ken, no i don't know why my high ports won't hold a seal, neither my d-ports either. all i can say is that the d-ports failed worse than the high ports at the same boost level. i am working on the the situation and i think i have found the differences between my previous combos and the current. as far as the high ports being soft, i have not tested them other than on a running conbo and the gasket seal was better than with the steal heads after 2 passes on each. with the high ports i ran a .080 copper gasket and with the d-ports i ran a .043 copper gasket, 63cc verses 74cc, both ended up with almost the same base compression ratio. the one thing that remains constant from last year and this year is a 48cc dish piston with a .000 deck hieght. this is the one thing that is different from all of my previous combos with the f-2. in the past i have always ran the pistons down in the hole at least .105. the only other difference is the amount of block material that is left between the cylinders with the 4.35 bore. what i can say is that the high port heads are worth 155 horsepower over my d-ports, this with the same boost boost level-119.53mph@3580# versus 112.12mph@3620# in the 1/8 mile.
Did you mean .015"?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So did Brian just shove one foot in his mouth and then open wider and shove the other in as well? I just can't figure out why the Kauffman bashing without any fact verification. Seems kind of irresponsible...I don't get the tactic of making a wild assertation and then asking people to prove you wrong when they question it, either. Oh well, I'm interested to see how the forged crank (and block for that matter) holds up, sounds like it's making good power.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Brad. So your past combo sealed better with the piston down in the hole? I have a theory about that.

I have always run my pistons down in the hole and have less issues with seal and power adders. Might be wrong and I know others will interject. But I like the flame front hitting the block rather the a weaker head gasket edge. I would give up a few hp #'s for durability.

Ok let the discussion begin.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

P-Dude, I have nowhere near the experience you do, but I agree completely with that reasoning.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 08-15-2007, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

brian i said .105". ken i aggree, i think this is the "root of my evil". i belive the gaskets and clamping force can't handle what i have thrown at them. for next season i will run the same compression ratio, but with less ccdish in the pistons and with them down in the hole. all i can say is i hope someone other than me benefits from my trial and error.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ken, what you say!!!