Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-20-2012, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking Try it, you will like it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceta View Post
Love those Pics. That looks like a blast!
Thanks man . SoCal is now down to one 1/8 mile drag strip (Barona, located in San Diego County) so I had to fine another legal way to enjoy my Pontiacs. Way more seat time and enuf speed for this man ,

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 03-20-2012, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

About 20 years ago I purchased a complete suspension kit from Rancho. It contained front and rear springs and both sway bars. When I took off the old springs both fronts were broken and the rears had the Firebird sag. From what the advertisment brochour said it would corner like Corvettes of the day. I also put on the poly body mounts and I think the kit came with front bushings. I have never raced it but the ride didn't suffer. I Googled Rancho and I think they only do trucks now.

Last edited by track73; 03-20-2012 at 01:06 PM. Reason: last sentence
Old 03-21-2012, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula8 View Post
Sooo what did PTFB set you up with for brakes? Are you running an e-brake?
I got everything, 4-wdb conversion and the e-brake kit. It's a pain not having an e-brake with a manual when your working on the car or parked for a second and just want to jump out and jump back in, etc.

Also got...

Comp. Suspension kit
New bars
Front end stiffening kit

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”
― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

Last edited by uneasyrider; 03-21-2012 at 06:11 AM.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
One other thing besides fan/shroud issues with thinner lowering subframe bushings is the Shaker is tighter against the hood.
Good point! I will have to check it out when I get them on there. At least with electric fans I don't have to worry about the shroud. These bushings are adjustable too so I might be able to leave them at the highest position. Oh well... just one more of the little pains in the ass when you start playing with your car. lol

― Socrates
“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dry weather tire for the above combo

I'm going to have to get new tires. Anyone have any recommendations on a good dry weather tire for the combo I'm putting together here?

Thanks,

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wheel size?

Old 03-25-2012, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
Wheel size?
17" as seen in signature picture. I found these and they are a dry weather replacement for the ones I have, sizes are the same since they are Ecsta's also. I think these are what I will go with: Kumho Ecsta XS.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 01s for me....

Nitto 01, like I use on my 72 TA. See pic on my post #38 on page 2 of this thread.

'65 Buick Sport Wagon Custom, 340, T350, 3:23
'66 GTO Post/468, 700R4, 3.31 (Mike's as of 9-16)
'68 Grand Prix/455, dual AFBs, T400, 2:93 posi (sold)
'72 TA tribute/461, T400, 3.08, (Russ's as of 9-16)
'97 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder Turbo, Konis, 5 speed
'09 Torrent GXP, nav, Sun & Sound pkg., Bilsteins
Old 03-25-2012, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin View Post
Nitto 01, like I use on my 72 TA. See pic on my post #38 on page 2 of this thread.
I don't know if I want to go that aggressive. I want a little more siping for rain and a little better wear.

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-25-2012, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default OH MY...!

What have I done! I know the engine runs GREAT and SD Performance built it. I just bought the hot suspension and good breaks from Pro-Touring F-Body... LOOK AT THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEGgMSwk9E

Will this be me at the next Maryhill Loops Road hill climb event!???? COOL!!! I'm sick to my stomach now with anticipation of my new parts! I feel like a kid! This is great! lol

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-28-2012, 07:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone know Dave at PTFB or have contact directly with PTFB?

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-28-2012, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone... ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NP0mQeLWCCo

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelspin View Post
I got to thinking about it and if I'm getting all these goodies why not put the hot chit tires on too. I think I'll get the Nitto's after I get my goodies installed. It should be a blast to take up to Pacific Raceway for a track day!

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-29-2012, 05:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by uneasyrider View Post
Anyone know Dave at PTFB or have contact directly with PTFB?
ive talked to Dave a few times, wealth of info and loves to share. Did he move to florida? IIRC he was about to close up shop up by chicago. granted this has been 2(?)years ago

something to remember: if you use the body mounts in the either of the drop positions the bumper will have to be adjusted accordingly. i raised mine from the 1/2" drop to factory height and have been fighting that dang bumper for the last several hours

Old 03-29-2012, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
What have I done! I know the engine runs GREAT and SD Performance built it. I just bought the hot suspension and good breaks from Pro-Touring F-Body... LOOK AT THIS!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdEGgMSwk9E

Will this be me at the next Maryhill Loops Road hill climb event!???? COOL!!! I'm sick to my stomach now with anticipation of my new parts! I feel like a kid! This is great! lol
he goes by 'bigger is better455'on transamcountry.com. its been awhile since ive been on there. he was gettin ready to retire that car as he bought it new and before he did he rolled it. he was fine, dont remember what he did with the car.

if you listen to the video you'll notice a 'beeep' at times, thats when the suspension grabs so well that it forces the oil away from the pickup. when oil pressure drops the 'beeep' goes off

Old 03-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
he goes by 'bigger is better455'on transamcountry.com. its been awhile since ive been on there. he was gettin ready to retire that car as he bought it new and before he did he rolled it. he was fine, dont remember what he did with the car.

if you listen to the video you'll notice a 'beeep' at times, thats when the suspension grabs so well that it forces the oil away from the pickup. when oil pressure drops the 'beeep' goes off
That's what I figured! That's cool! Now, when my stuff arrives I figure I will have one of the hottest canyon carvers in the area, when my stuff arrives... I wish Dave would just respond so I could get a small warm fuzzy about this whole thing. I'm not in some major hurry. The lack of response is making me NERVOUS!

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-29-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
That's what I figured! That's cool! Now, when my stuff arrives I figure I will have one of the hottest canyon carvers in the area, when my stuff arrives... I wish Dave would just respond so I could get a small warm fuzzy about this whole thing. I'm not in some major hurry. The lack of response is making me NERVOUS!

Don't be in a major hurry. This is typical of PTFB. Dave has never ripped anyone off so no worries there but being told one thing and then actually waiting for months for parts to arrive is common.

Old 03-30-2012, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try calling Dave on Saturday. I've had pretty good luck getting him at odd times.
I've ordered from him plenty of times- always got my stuff... sometimes it took longer than others.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC455 View Post
Try calling Dave on Saturday. I've had pretty good luck getting him at odd times.
I've ordered from him plenty of times- always got my stuff... sometimes it took longer than others.
I'll do that... Considering he got my money on 03/12/12 and HE should be the one responding to me I WILL be giving him a call. A little common courtesy and simple customer service isn't a lot to ask for in this "era" of electron speed response is it?

― Socrates
― Plato
Old 03-31-2012, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Well I think we are pretty much in the same area

Sorry I have been taking a year off after I rolled my car and just started to get back at looking at it (or whats left). I think you will be happy with Dave's stuff and I like the spring rates he runs. He has been real busy lately but more so challenged with some of his suppliers (leaf springs in particular), its best to call him but as many have mentioned you will need to be patient. Maybe ask him what he has in stock vs what he is waiting on and go from there.

My car has custom Wilwood front brakes we pieced together and the rear is the off the sheld wilwood 12 inch kit with e brake. Dave's brakes look good and the other supplier I really like is Kore 3 in Oregon so close to you. They do great C5kits if you want to keep it GM. I actually use their front hubs for my brakes.

Hey man a bunch of the guys I race with from Vancouver went to Mary Hill Climb last year, I had rolled my car by then so I missed out. It looks real cool but some were worried about the long drop offs and distance from corner workers (I can tell you its nice when they come to save your bacon after a crash).

For tires you might want to look at tires that are 285/17 vs the 275/17, they look better in the wheel wells. I have some 275s on my YO snowflakes but think I will move the 285s, Nitto and Contental has that size.

Good luck with the new parts, they are pretty much what I have on my car (or my new car).