Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 12-29-2007, 05:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2
Use of a simple halo girdle that connects all 5 caps and ties into the pan rail area, would seem to me at least, to be a way of stopping cap flex or 'waving in the wind' syndrome. 3 pieces of 1/4" T6 ali plate is all it would take to stop fore/aft movement, and this should stop the caps loading against the studs/bolts and dowels.
Making a more substantial girdle out of maybe 1/2" steel plate would triangulate and pull the bottom of the block together which 'may' help with block flexing/cracking?
That method helps keep the weak mains on 403 Olds together; and Ive seen some pretty fast ones hold together.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 12-30-2007, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

pk: I believe those are steel scissors with a very thin layer of titanium plated onto the cutting edges.""""""

That would make sense. I did not pick them up for weight becaues they were in laser-sealed plastic-molded shrink-fit wrap. The kind that needs steel scizzors to open.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a conversation with Dam Whittmore yesterday and asked him about A. Beswick.It turns out Dan did some RAIV head work for Beswick back when he was match racing with a real Pontiac.
Those special PMD blocks that were built for Beswick,the ones that turned out to be the insperation for the IA1 had splayed ductile iron caps.Dan told me they were better than billet steel.So Pontiac was on to ductile iron caps way back when.
What would it take to get some made today?
I got some good A. Beswick stories out of the conversation.He has been through a lot,very nice guy,does not big time people.
It would be great if some one could sponsor him with a real Pontiac engine so he could run it before he retires from racing.You would think with all the new Pontiac stuff available today someone could build enough reliable HP to make him happy.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wish there was a way to strength test one of my fat 59 iron caps against a steel cap without ruining it. I do feel the 1/4" extra height compared to a typical 400 cap should be substantial.

Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 PM
Boost Engineer

I had a conversation with Dam Whittmore yesterday and asked him about A. Beswick.It turns out Dan did some RAIV head work for Beswick back when he was match racing with a real Pontiac.
Those special PMD blocks that were built for Beswick,the ones that turned out to be the insperation for the IA1 had splayed ductile iron caps.Dan told me they were better than billet steel.So Pontiac was on to ductile iron caps way back when.

I said that in my very early post about this subject.

What would it take to get some made today?

All Pontiac is looking at using them vs the steel caps on their blocks.

I got some good A. Beswick stories out of the conversation.He has been through a lot,very nice guy,does not big time people.
It would be great if some one could sponsor him with a real Pontiac engine so he could run it before he retires from racing.You would think with all the new Pontiac stuff available today someone could build enough reliable HP to make him happy.

David Butler of Butler Performance had a complete Pontiac 500+ cid engine at his shop for several years now WAITING to go into any of beswicks cars. It is not the engine that is the hold-up for using a pontiac engine.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:56 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
... beswicks cars. It is not the engine that is the hold-up for using a pontiac engine...
Umm... what then?...

Old 01-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmmmm......interesting. Here's what I know:

1) every Beswick car has a traditional Pontiac engine in it except the '64 Tiger

2) Butler assembled the 455 that currently resides in Arnie's '63 Little B's Runabout.

3) I've never known Arnie to pass up free stuff.

I'll call Arnie later and ask him about this.

Eric

Old 01-30-2008, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spoke to Arnie....always interesting.

He has had parts of his own in Butler's shop over the years....blocks, cranks, etc.

He is not aware of any donated/sponsored engines waiting for him. But he's always hoping.

Eric