Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-20-2016, 10:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Am hoping for a forensic diagnosis on this one. Interested in cause on your engine.

Have my 455 in machine stage now. I thought low mile short block was in OK shape had built many years ago but only 2000 mile. Did some hard runs years ago though. Had one really bad spot on crank from bearing issue. Had block align bored years ago for 4 bolt cap add. Am told it was done poorly. It is being rebored and man I am kind of paranoid now. Got a new old crank that is nice so that is not my worry.

Old 05-20-2016, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Every time I read a thread like this I get paranoid and go down and check things over again ... at this rate I'll never get the nerve to seal this thing up and start it

Old 05-20-2016, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The 'break-in' is usually for the rings seating in the bores.

Bearings don't need 'break-in'?

No, they don't. I've never "broken-in" engine bearings...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 05-20-2016, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Being that the only thing contacting your bearings is oil, I would venture to say that they don't require a "break in". If anything other than oil contacts them, you get what the OP has.

69 Judge convertible........clone! Carousel red, parchment, hideaways, TH400, 10" Continental 3200 stall, 12 bolt with 3.42, 469 c.i. with ported #48's, ported cast iron intake, Cliff's Q-Jet and ported 2-1/2" Ram Air manifolds.
Old 05-21-2016, 04:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anyone else feel that there is a strange connection between worrying if an engine going to fail and it actually failing? I don't think I've ever built an engine that I didn't care about that had a problem, but ones that you do care about are way more likely to have a problem.

When I think about the engines I literally through together in a filthy garage as a kid that went thousands and thousand of miles .... I wonder why I worry so much about one where I take my time and do everything right.

The old saying .... "Think long, Think wrong"

Old 05-22-2016, 09:25 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Does anyone else feel that there is a strange connection between worrying if an engine going to fail and it actually failing? I don't think I've ever built an engine that I didn't care about that had a problem, but ones that you do care about are way more likely to have a problem.

When I think about the engines I literally through together in a filthy garage as a kid that went thousands and thousand of miles .... I wonder why I worry so much about one where I take my time and do everything right.

Well, like any other emotion; if one doesn't have it, they're probably not right. If it controls one to the point they don't start that motor, they're probably not right either.

And it seems that worry promotetes being mindful, so I'd go with maximum worry until it impedes performance. On the other hand, an emotion can sap energy from a person, and nothing makes a person careless like being tired.

Worry moderately I suppose.

Old 05-22-2016, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

That's why hillbillys can slap together a 350 to go muddin while slobbering drunk and it'll hold together. But when those engines do fail it's a magnificent failure

Old 06-09-2016, 07:43 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Contact Vic at Victory machine in San Jose. 408 266 7570

Old 06-09-2016, 08:37 PM
Suspended

I am working on a Chevy 350 TBI Engine for 1994 GMC K1500 Suburban now.
Just a daily driver & my tow rig machine.
I forgot how cheaply made they are compared to A Pontiac V8 & Olds V8.
Like a Dinky chuna toy.
Should not say that because I have an old Corvette..

Old 06-09-2016, 09:16 PM
Suspended

I read through all posts from the past on this thread.
Just Wow !

Ken Crocie helped with my 1st Pontiac engine I ever built put together myself.
A long time ago now.
He gave me exact Blueprint machine specs & Assembly Tips.
I forward the Info to my machinist.
He is about 52 now & I am 46.
I can watch him machine all for me side by side.
And I check parts , Measure together with him.
Steve don't mind.
CHECK THAT FOR ME BRIAN ! What does that crank journal measure ?

We are in Farmsville, IL.
Kinda glad.

Old 06-09-2016, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a thought. If crank has been turned are radis on rod journals correct?

ECM member.
2008 Outlaw Pontiac Drag Series Champion
MANDRA
Do it now fool! Life is short.

69 Grand Prix/3163lbs / IAII 535 w/ Tiger heads by Gaydosh....9.35@ 144 so far.. through mufflers. 1.26 60'.
Going back to track with pump gas engine....
My 60 Ventura retired to street/strip duty..
Old 06-10-2016, 02:15 AM
Senior Chief

JSPONT wrote
Now, when you have it balanced, the shop should have asked for your harmonic balancer, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. If you run a heavy flywheel and it is not balanced it will hurt bearings.
Was everything neutral balanced? The shop did not receive the balancer, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Not sure if the shop that did the R and R did a neutral balance. Will have engine pulled one week from today.

Old 06-10-2016, 06:01 AM
Senior Chief

You mentioned you had issues with the thrust bearing once and that it's a 4speed car.
There are some best practices to note.

If you start it up in gear with your foot on the clutch. Pressure plate spring pressure is pushing the crank forward against the thrust bearing while it's cranking and there isn't even any oil pressure to float the thrust face, so this will cause premature wear of the thrust bearing.

If you have a rather heavy clutch and sit at stop lights with your the clutch depressed this would likely also wear the thrust bearing early, but at least there will be oil on the bearing in these circumstances.

Old 06-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtobully View Post
JSPONT wrote
Now, when you have it balanced, the shop should have asked for your harmonic balancer, flywheel, clutch and pressure plate. If you run a heavy flywheel and it is not balanced it will hurt bearings.
Was everything neutral balanced? The shop did not receive the balancer, flywheel, clutch, and pressure plate. Not sure if the shop that did the R and R did a neutral balance. Will have engine pulled one week from today.
Check your flywheel 1st. Pontiac had many flywheels. Check to see if there is a weight on the back. Some had bolt on ballast. You have to check with the machine shop to see how he balanced the rotating assembly. Was there a vibration at all?

Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

LOL I'm actually responding promptly cuz I'm off of work today for Sons HS graduation. I don't recall there being a balancer on the flywheel but will have to check. There was not a vibration, but, there was almost a deep thumping sound that seemed like it was coming from the right front. Wondering if Driveshaft got hosed up somehow, but I was leaning toward a tire balance issue. Does have front discs, changed wheels, thought maybe the sound was due to not having disc brake clearance with wheel, but don't know if that makes ANY sense.

Old 06-10-2016, 01:20 PM
Senior Chief

Oops, I meant ballast on the flywheel.

Old 07-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Senior Chief

UPDATE...the motor was taken apart to find several bearings were quite heated, and the engine oil black. New rods and bearings were installed, and the motor put on the Dyno. The latest theory was that the carb (Roch Qjet) was dumping gas into the intake manifold and into the motor, breaking down the oil. So, they put it on the Dyno with their Holley and ran it thru their paces. The data looked good. They then put Rochester on it for a very very short time and did not like the readings so they took it off. They then opened up the motor, and, saw premature wear across the bearings evenly. So, it wasn't necesarily my carb, very unlikely as it was on for much too short a time. Now, they are studying oil flow, oil passage issues, if something about the block is at issue. Also, to follow another possibility, they sent the distributor out to be tested to see if something about it is forcing the engine to run lean. I'm fearing the worst with this block.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What was the bearing clearances and end play before they ran the motor? A lean engine or a rich engine will not wipe out bearings unless there is detonation. It could be a line bore issue, or crank issue. What crank are you running?

Old 07-25-2016, 08:51 AM
Senior Chief

Default crank is stock

....will have to check on clearances and end play. The detonation potential is the main reason they sent out the Distributor for analysis

Old 07-25-2016, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Checking to see if the distributor is making the engine run lean?