Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-01-2021, 08:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
The drive shaft is still turning when the car is in neutral so that proves othing. It's a good test for a throw-out bearing noise but that's about all. Could be tail shaft bushing, could be pinion bearing, could be drive shaft out of phase from a twist. A balance issue is usually more pronounced within a given speed range. It starts off unnoticeable, comes out of nowhere and then goes away at higher speed. It is usually accompanied by a buzz in the rear package tray in response to the vibration.
After speaking with two transmission gurus, they do not believe it's the bushing. They are leaning towards the drive shaft out of balance or the yoke worn.

One guy is willing to go for a ride to help diagnose the problem.

BUT

I was going to take a trip with it next week but my son tested positive for covid this week so it looks like me and the car will be staying home this week and next. He seems to be doing ok, mostly a cough and slight fever. He is on meds and Vitamins and responding well.

All the car repair shops are slammed right now, not sure if it the holiday coming up or everyone has need for some kind of repair.

Old 09-01-2021, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I had it in the beginning of this year I found that using a Saline nose flush twice a day was a great help!

Even if you get it you should get thru it fine and then have the better natural antibodies in your system that last longer and without complications from pathogenic priming !

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 09-01-2021, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
The drive shaft is still turning when the car is in neutral so that proves othing. It's a good test for a throw-out bearing noise but that's about all. Could be tail shaft bushing, could be pinion bearing, could be drive shaft out of phase from a twist. A balance issue is usually more pronounced within a given speed range. It starts off unnoticeable, comes out of nowhere and then goes away at higher speed. It is usually accompanied by a buzz in the rear package tray in response to the vibration.
That is exactly what I said putting it in neutral would do, isolate anything out before it. It also shows if it’s load induced or not. So I wouldn’t say it shows Nothing. It actually shows quite a bit of you know what your looking for…. There could be slop in the bearings but they still. Work and when there’s no load it gets worse or goes away compared to under load. This would tell you something about your issue. If it’s simply balance then loaded or Unloaded shouldn’t matter , if
It’s an issue of movement bad bearings or bushings load should change it.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 09-01-2021, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well problem solved, I called the tire shop that put the tires on and I all I wanted was to check the balance, he was so booked up he couldn't get me in until next Thursday.

So I decided to rotate the tires just to waste some time. I noticed that some lugnuts we're damn hard to get off. Rotated the tires and made I tightened them up using the star pattern. Took it out up to 80 no vibration, threw it neutral no vibration. I think the lugnuts we're in various degrees of torque even though I made sure they were tight before I started trouble shooting this.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I at least went through a few things that I might have not checked.

Old 09-01-2021, 02:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Food for thought for others:

If you have a similar vibration, don't trust the guy with the Impact Gun, Remove the lug nuts, swap the tires around if all the same or side to side if different sizes, and road test the car/vehicle again, AFTER using the mentioned "Star Pattern" on the Lug Nuts as you mount the tires and torque the nuts to spec.

Easy enough to do with a simple Hydraulic Jack and GOOD Safety Stands.

Glad it worked out for you.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-01-2021, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Tom, that's exactly what I was thinking when removing the lugnuts. That a couple were impacted too tight and when they used the torque wrench to finish, those were already way too tight.

Glad it just took some sweat and a new set of u joints, I don't feel bad about those though.

If my son is better and I don't have any issues I still might be able to make that trip.

Old 09-01-2021, 04:21 PM
Boost Engineer

HAVE A SAFE TRIP IF YOU ARE ABLE TO MAKE IT.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 09-01-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you sir, I certainly hope so!

Old 09-03-2021, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
That is exactly what I said putting it in neutral would do, isolate anything out before it. It also shows if it’s load induced or not. So I wouldn’t say it shows Nothing. It actually shows quite a bit of you know what your looking for…. There could be slop in the bearings but they still. Work and when there’s no load it gets worse or goes away compared to under load. This would tell you something about your issue. If it’s simply balance then loaded or Unloaded shouldn’t matter , if
It’s an issue of movement bad bearings or bushings load should change it.
Agreed. It does take the load off the pinion bearing when you coast.

Old 09-03-2021, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great point. The steel wheel mounting flange is like a spring when a lug nut is over-tightened, it can distort.