Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 04-06-2018, 10:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I used umi for my 69 cutlass convert., front/rear sway bar, rear upper/lower arms and braces. They are good to deal w and reasonable prices. Get on email list as they usually have specials around holidays.

Old 05-04-2018, 08:15 PM
Senior Chief

Just installed a UMI set. Fit well. No issues besides the longer bolt hitting the mufflers. So I will either flip the bolt and/or clearance the mufflers.

Comp Cams "Stump Puller" roller
Holley Ultra Street Avenger 770
Ram Air III exhaust manifolds
2.5" pipes Dynomax VT w/crossover
Edelbrock Performer RPM
TH350 2.78:1 10 bolt
Old 05-05-2018, 07:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
That new frame & parts looks great, not to be to nosey but how much for something like that. I'd love to have one of those & who did it come from???
Street Rod Garage in Alabama...... a "roller" was $15K.....a lot of money, but it included a lot of 'stuff'.......chassis, rear, all suspension..coilovers, r&p steering, 4 wheel wilwood discs.....fit like a glove too!

Old 05-08-2018, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I ordered a set of BMR Fabrication braces last night. It's nice to be fairly close to Summit Racing's Georgia distribution center...they are out for delivery today. BMR's show no bend....if they don't clear they'll go back and I'll get a set of the UMI's. Since the rest of my stuff was BMR I thought I'd stay with them. Reading their instructions, there was no mention of possible clearance issues so we'll see.
I learn something new here on PY every day.
I have BMR's rear suspension on my 65 with the braces(strait). I had no clearance issues. The guy I talked to at BMR was funny, he told me he would not sell me the control arms unless I bought the braces because my car is a 4 speed with more than factory power(engine).

Dave

Old 05-08-2018, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevoBuzz View Post
Just installed a UMI set. Fit well. No issues besides the longer bolt hitting the mufflers. So I will either flip the bolt and/or clearance the mufflers.
Yes ,even with my BMR's you have to pay attention to the direction of the bolts as to not hit the mufflers.

Old 05-09-2018, 05:37 PM

I got the QA1 braces from Summit for my 66, come with new only slightly longer than original bolts, and have a fairly wide mount pad for each end to spread the load, and they look nice too, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-5212/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10-05-2018 7-30-46 AM.png
Views:	80
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	482647  

--> 1966 Pontiac Le Mans Convertible, Martinique Bronze, black top, Parchment interior, alloy Rallye 2's, M/T Sportsman ST's 235f/255r with redlines, 464 (455 .040 over), Performer RPM 87cc round port heads, Butler roller cam, Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4, Ram Air 2.5" manifolds, 67 GTO Ram Air pan, 2.5" Magnaflow, Muncie M22, 3.55 Eaton Posi. <--
Old 05-10-2018, 06:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tempest, those for the Chevelle are as close to the original Pontiac braces as you can get.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 09-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Very interesting thread. Proof that the advice I got from 64speed on this forum and from Duane at UMI was spot on.
I have a concern about installing the horizontal rear shock tower brace. Seems like some had a problem with not being able to install it?
To be clear, the open diff stock 8.2 is coming out and a 2" narrowed Quick Performance Ford 9" based rear axle assembly is going in. I ordered the UMI adjustable upper control arms, lower lift bars (QP is welding accommodating multi location bracket including stock location onto the 9" for the lift bars, and roto joints instead of bushings) I also ordered the control arm reinforcement/frame braces. I would have had no idea that that was a requirement if not for this forum and Duane at UMI.
This should work well with the go fast parts that were added when we rebuilt the already tweaked 421 Tripower a year ago.
Since the rear axle assembly is being replaced, should I anticipate any problems installing the horizontal rear shock tower brace?

Old 09-09-2018, 12:48 PM
Senior Chief

I plan on doing the EXACT rear end swap also , but will install the diff while body is on the rotisserie, the brace will go on easy, with the body on the car, I doubt you'll be able to get the piece up top and get to the hardware

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 09-09-2018, 01:14 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassman_67 View Post
with the body on the car, I doubt you'll be able to get the piece up top and get to the hardware
I have a full service 4wd and custom car shop doing the work. UMI didn't say anything about problems installing the horizontal rear shock tower brace, and they know the body and frame are together. I will email Duane at UMI and see what feedback I get and post here. It would suck not to be able to install that part.
How hard/much time does it take to separate the body from the frame just enough to provide clearance to install the horizontal rear shock tower brace? Can it be done without doing that??
Thanks for the reply.

Old 09-09-2018, 01:34 PM
Senior Chief

there are 10 body mount bolts, you could leave the core support alone, loosen the 4 under the firewall, 2 under the seat belt retractors, remove the 4 at the rear, then lift the rear, that should get you 4-6 inches .maybe more to work with

KRE 461,310 CFM 85cc, KB pistons, Eagle rods, Ohio crank KRE custom HR236,Dougs ceramic,Edelbrock Pro Flo 4. Quick Performance 9".
552HP 594 TQ
Old 09-09-2018, 02:38 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks a lot gassman_67
With Crusin the Coast being about 3 weeks away, and the week of the event being my wife and my MAJOR vacation that the rest of the year's work revolves around, it is CRITICAL that I know as much as possible to prepare the shop for what to expect.
At this point, cost is not as big an issue as the work being done, on time, properly, and I can't see replacing the rear axle assembly and not doing all of the other things I have laid out!
Am I right? I think so, and other than making adjustments, I don't ever want to have to repair or replace or say "If only I had ____ then this would be done right."
So can you confirm my intuition and research and say that I am correct?

Old 09-09-2018, 02:55 PM
Senior Chief

you are correct….I'm in the same boat, I don't want to do this again. Best to do it right the first time!

552HP 594 TQ
Old 09-09-2018, 06:30 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks to all who replied here and in other threads!
I'll post updates as they develop.

Old 09-09-2018, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You don't need to separate the body from the frame to install the rear shock tower brace, it just uses the shock bolts to mount. It will slip up there with everything together, then drop the bolts from the top down through the holes.

I'm not sure if they will interfere with a 9" housing, but imagine it wouldn't.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-09-2018, 09:05 PM
Senior Chief

Talking

Whew!! HWYSTR455 thanks for the info, knowing THAT at a time like this, where we are spending money like water, I have SO MUCH to do in the next 3 weeks to get ready, and time vs what has to be done is going to come down to the wire-again....

Anyone have a different perspective on this? Anyone in agreement?
This is a 65 GTO.
I will follow up with what UMI says tomorrow.
I am really looking forward to the 421GOAT getting up and rolling out with both drag radials getting traction AND that 3.80 ring and pinion vs the old 3.3.
It's going to be a thrill ride, and the 4 wheel disc brakes vs 4 wheel drums should bring it back down from Ludicrous Speed nicely!

Old 09-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Senior Chief

Ok. So here is what UMI says about installing the horizontal rear shock tower brace in my 65 GTO as it sits, body and frame together:
"I can tell you when installing the #4059 brace it is a tight area to work in, but customers install them every day, we sell tons of them, and no complaints of install issues. Most guys are doing a off frame restoration so thats why they are making that comment about it being a requirement to do at that time, it definitely is easier at that time but doing it anytime is not a problem."
So that and what HWYSTR455 says makes sense or the application and viability of using the horizontal brace would be VERY situationally limited.
Thanks again. "Highway Star" by Deep Purple is one of the BEST driving songs of all time!

Old 09-12-2018, 01:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I can tell you from experience the rear shock tower brace will not go on with the rear in the car. That is the only missing piece of the puzzle I have because I did non do it while the rear was out and it was a no go once the car was back on the frame and the rear was bolted in. You cannot wedge it between the trunk floor and the frame and still have enough room to get the bolts in. At least on mine you couldn’t your mileage may vary. I was really disappointed because I have all UMI suspension in the rear and I wanted to have ever piece but I tried, my nephew tried, my buddy tried, it just wasn’t gonna happen

Old 09-12-2018, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I can tell you from experience the rear shock tower brace will not go on with the rear in the car. That is the only missing piece of the puzzle I have because I did non do it while the rear was out and it was a no go once the car was back on the frame and the rear was bolted in. You cannot wedge it between the trunk floor and the frame and still have enough room to get the bolts in. At least on mine you couldn’t your mileage may vary. I was really disappointed because I have all UMI suspension in the rear and I wanted to have ever piece but I tried, my nephew tried, my buddy tried, it just wasn’t gonna happen
Can you just run the bolts up from the bottom? What kind of body bushings are you using?

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-12-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
I had no issues installing the brace in my 69 with the rear in place, but I admit the bolts can be a challenge.