THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-24-2017, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Your contention was that an invasion of the North would have won the war - as stated before the administration knew this would bring China into the war and said as much, so it was off the table. If you believe China would not you are just fooling yourself.

You noted the human wave attacks by the Chinese in Korea - do you not think they would have done the same in NVN where they would have been that much more effective? And note the quality of fight the VC/NVA put up in the South - imagine the ferocity they would put up on their home turf; they would have NEVER given up.
NO, I've never stated that an invasion of North Vietnam would have won the war: that is a debatable subject. What I have concluded is both the NVA and VC were defeated after the Tet Offensive, but the U.S. media declared they were not. Have you ever seen a human wave attack? My dad was a Korean War Marine combat vet. He saw several of them. The difference between Vietnam and Korea is topography and triple canopy jungle. HOW could a human wave be effective in triple canopy jungle in MOUNTAINS? You need to explain that....You have based your opinion on ONE article. I've read close to 100 books on the war from all side of the debate along with many conversations I've had with Vietnam War combat vets I've known.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-24-2017, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I spent last two years of high school convinced I would be sent to Viet Nam. I graduated 73 and missed by a few months I guess. I would have went if called, but was against the war. Never against anyone who went there, I could not understand that at all. No Nixon fan however, and it was just rough times in this country all the way around. I thank all who went and everyone I knew was impacted somehow.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nixon wasn't who got us into Vietnam, but he did get us out.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-25-2017, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
Nixon wasn't who got us into Vietnam, but he did get us out.
Yes, anyone who was around knows the presidential and war chronology.

Old 09-29-2017, 11:06 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
What I have concluded is both the NVA and VC were defeated after the Tet Offensive, but the U.S. media declared they were not.
Defeated, demoralized, crippled, you could probably find a number of words to discribe thier losses and state at that moment. But while it looks like a missed opportunity of some kind, and certainly was not well reported in the US media.

I don't think there was opportunity to win and end the war, because the political cost to do it was always more than any US president could pay. China and Russia were going to guarantee that.

They may not have used the phrase "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend" but it most certainly applied. And they all agreed that the US and democracy was the enemy.

Old 09-29-2017, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the few things I remember vividly from my childhood was the Huntley/Brinkley news and their reporting of the weekly deaths in Vietnam.
My dad, with boys born in 1957 and 1958, said that had the war run on much longer he was taking us to Canada.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-29-2017, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's something I read about in my home town newspaper this week, the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial Fund is trying to find photographs of every person who is on The Wall in Washington:

In an effort to further preserve the legacy of those who sacrificed all in Vietnam, VVMF is committed to finding a photo to go with each of the more than 58,000 names on The Wall. The Wall of Faces allows family and friends to share memories, post pictures and connect with each other.

If you have a picture of a loved one or fellow veteran whose name is on The Wall, please help the Memorial Fund honor these individuals by putting a face with a name. Regardless of whether or not the Memorial Fund has a photo of the individual already, we encourage you to submit it anyway. We are trying to collect as many photos of each individual as possible.

http://www.vvmf.org/about-the-wall-of-faces

Old 09-29-2017, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Defeated, demoralized, crippled, you could probably find a number of words to discribe thier losses and state at that moment. But while it looks like a missed opportunity of some kind, and certainly was not well reported in the US media.

I don't think there was opportunity to win and end the war, because the political cost to do it was always more than any US president could pay. China and Russia were going to guarantee that.

They may not have used the phrase "The Enemy of my Enemy is my Friend" but it most certainly applied. And they all agreed that the US and democracy was the enemy.
Agreed! The Johnson Administration squandered an opportunity to ensure some kind of survivability for South Vietnam as a nation. Supporting the assassination of Diem was probably what cost the U.S. the war politically. Thieu and Ky simply lacked the ability to unite the different factions into a cohesive nation. South Korea was easier because we had a strong ally In Rhee.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-29-2017, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
One of the few things I remember vividly from my childhood was the Huntley/Brinkley news and their reporting of the weekly deaths in Vietnam.
My dad, with boys born in 1957 and 1958, said that had the war run on much longer he was taking us to Canada.
My youngest uncle (Navy Vietnam vet....two tours in- country on PBRs) once told me maybe the draft dodgers were smarter than he was. He hated that war...

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 09-29-2017, 09:10 PM

Default Technically I was a draft dodger.

I joined the Air Force and was stationed at warm and cheerful Bien Hoa AB. I was there for TET.

1966 GTO - 11.31@119 (3478 lbs) in 1979

1967 Firebird - 9.73@138 (2940 lbs) in 1986
400 cu in / 295-298 cfm RAIV / Lunati Cam 278/283 - .704 lift/5.13 gears
Old 10-01-2017, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eiler View Post
I joined the Air Force and was stationed at warm and cheerful Bien Hoa AB. I was there for TET.
Doesn't count if you enlisted to avoid being drafted. My dad did the same thing during the Korean War. His draft lottery number was up, so he, my Uncle Bud, Lewis Harbin and Gilbert Reynolds(two of Dad's friends)all went to the Marine Corps recruiting office in downtown Louisville to enlist. Bud was rejected(back problems) but Dad, Lew and Buster(Gilbert's nickname) all served in Korea.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 10-01-2017, 05:38 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Eiler View Post
I got my draft notice when I was in Navy boot camp.

We enjoyed Tet at the same time.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 10-01-2017, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I got my pre-induction physical notices in November of 65. Downtown LA and it scare the hell out of me. I watch as draftees were in a large room and the Marines just pick half the room and said welcome to the corp��

Old 10-02-2017, 01:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I got my draft notice when I was in Navy boot camp.
I never registered for the draft. Does that make me a "draft dodger"?

Perhaps I'm the only draft dodger to see combat in VN.

Ogre

Old 10-02-2017, 01:54 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogre View Post
I never registered for the draft. Does that make me a "draft dodger"?

Perhaps I'm the only draft dodger to see combat in VN.

Ogre
I don't think you had to if you were enrolled at Zoomie High School.

Old 10-02-2017, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusjay View Post
I got my pre-induction physical notices in November of 65. Downtown LA and it scare the hell out of me. I watch as draftees were in a large room and the Marines just pick half the room and said welcome to the corp��
This is what we veterans generally refer to as an "OH SH!T!" moment.

Old 10-03-2017, 12:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
I don't think you had to if you were enrolled at Zoomie High School.
Actually Bob, the easy explanation is that I was 17 yo when I got there. I turned 18 (should have registered with selective service), in the middle of the first semester w/ full time academics, full time military, and full time athletics.

I think that's 3 full time activities, so the last thing on my mind was registering with selective service. LOL

Ogre

Old 10-03-2017, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Minneapolis PBS station is running some additional shows about the covert operations in Laos during the war. I believe they were produced here because we have a large Hmong population (including a lot of Hmong who participated in those operations) so there's a lot of local interest. I don't know if these shows are being aired in other parts of the country, check your local listings.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
The Minneapolis PBS station is running some additional shows about the covert operations in Laos during the war. I believe they were produced here because we have a large Hmong population (including a lot of Hmong who participated in those operations) so there's a lot of local interest. I don't know if these shows are being aired in other parts of the country, check your local listings.
What happened to the Hmong and Monties after the war ended was truly shocking. We owed these people, but left them to the NVA.

Dr. Thomas Sowell