THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-18-2024, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Prayers sent Greg, speedy recovery!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonsie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2024, 10:33 PM
Senior Chief

Greg,
Praying for you and your successful surgery and full recovery.

68 GTO convertible
YS M40, A/C, PS, PB-disc, Posi-T, PW, P-seat, AM-FM stereo 8-track,
P-ant, P-trunk lid, Tilt-S, Rally gauges, Hideaways
C1 224 Triple white
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kk68 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Fellows, I had no idea that this thread was here. You don't know how much I appreciate all the support that you're showing me right now. I mean I really, sincerely appreciate it.
It's been a long hard struggle starting in January of '23. After 6 months of chemo I had my entire stomach removed exactly a year ago to the day of my surgery yesterday. 6 months later, the cancer was back. I suspected it because I was having issues through that entire time. After my initial surgery although they said that all of the cancer was in my stomach and I was all clear after the removal of that. I never felt quite as certain as everybody else though. This time it came back at the stage 4 and had progressed into the lining of my torso above the intestines. I made a mistake of looking that up and found that it's a pretty low survival rate. Typically 5 to 7 months after diagnosis. That was scary so I immediately stopped thinking about that and just started thinking about being one of the people that survived. I'm not a quitter and I'm fighting with everything I have.
In the last week I started having some severe shooting pains across my abdomen and one of the biggest problems I've had over the last year is trying to put my weight back on. I've lost ninety to a hundred pounds in the last year and a half. My oncologist has threatened to kick me out of the program three times because she says that I won't be able to survive these chemo treatments if I can't maintain weight but she did not understand why I could not eat. The reason I wound up in the hospital this time was because of intestinal blockage was causing those shooting pains and if you don't have a stomach and your intestines are blocked how can you eat? I wound up in the emergency room this week because of the intestinal cramps. Second time really, but this time it did not clear up on its own so they decided that they would have to do surgery. That is, they x-rayed and saw that it wasn't just food.
My original surgeon had a look at it and told me that this was a very bad situation. He said that it was obviously one of two possibilities. Either it was scar tissue from my initial stomach removal or it was a tumor indicating the cancer being back. He then told me that the perfect scenario would be that it was scar tissue and he could snip it out put it back together and have me home in a couple of days. Worst case scenario and very possible, was that it was a tumor and maybe it could be more than one and the cancer could be spreading through my entire test. He told me that if that was the case, that he would have to just sold me back up, send me to hospice and he predicted that I would live for 4 to 6 weeks after that because of my absolutely atrocious physical condition. He wouldn't know until he actually got in there and started surgery. Obviously, that cost me a long weekend of worry.
Here's the part where I tell you that I've never been a very religious person but I was raised with a religious foundation and have been a believer but not in any way devoted to religion or spiritualism whatever. Today, I want to testify that I believe. When the word got out about what was going on with me I believe that I probably have thousands, literally thousands of people were praying for me at 2:00 yesterday which was my surgery time. I didn't even know about you guys or did I know that you all knew what was going on with me. People that I have never met were praying for me. My wife tells me everyday about people who have sent prayers, text, you name it to her about me.
When they rolled me into surgery yesterday I felt so uplifted spiritually and my confidence was so high (I have an excellent medical team behind me as well) that I wasn't nearly as nervous as you might think be....and my family have been just great throughout this last year.
To shorten the story just a little bit, this time the coin fell in my favor. It wasn't the perfect scenario that he outlined but it wasn't the death sentence either. He was able to cut the tumor out he said there's still cancer present but but that he saw obvious signs that the chemo is working and that if the effects of the treatment continue on this path it raises my chances tremendously.
The main thing being that I should now be able to take in nutrition and get my weight back. I was actually scheduled for a chemo treatment this week and the stomach cramp started the day before. He told my wife that if I had gotten chemo this week I would have died because of my terrible physical condition at the present.
You guys just don't know but I have been so weak for the last month or two that I haven't even been able to drive. My legs were too weak to climb a step alone or have any confidence that I can raise my foot from the gas pedal to the brake pedal if there was an emergency. Both of my cars are manual shift, other than gto, and I know I could not raise my leg enough to get the clutch.
I'm also missing my favorite fishing month!!
Anyway, there's a lot more to the story but I am generally a rather private person which is why I never put this out here publicly. I haven't been keeping it a secret because I believe that other people should know the warning signs and so forth. At some point I'm going to write something about what's led up to my initial illness and the warning signs that I missed. It has occurred to me that if I survive this, and I still have a ways to go, that I owe something to people who might be helped by my experience. If I had known before I was diagnosed what I know now I might have been able to avoid the entire diagnosis. I had worn in size 6 months before I was diagnosed but never, ever would have guessed it it was cancer or anything serious. I've read that that's one of the reasons that gastric cancer is so difficult because the early symptoms don't really seem like anything that might not just pass on their own. Just some discomfort here and there and some other symptoms.
Again, this form group is almost like family to me because I've been here so long I feel like I know you all even though I've only personally met a few. I'll never forget to support, prayers and well wishes that I've gotten here recently. Thank you all so much and God bless you all!

Old 05-19-2024, 12:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Apologies for a lot of the typos in that post but I'm doing this on my phone from the hospital bed, it's very difficult to edit on the screen but I think you all can figure it out....and Steve, I'll give you a call sometime tomorrow. I had been planning to talk to you anyway.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg,

We don’t know one another, but we do sharing the same hobby - GTO’s.

I’ve seen many of your posts over the years on this site.

I’m wishing you all the strength in the world and we all support you.

Be strong, Chris Terry,

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 60sstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 12:57 AM

Greg,
Prayers for you and your family .

The Following User Says Thank You to pontsd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 05:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, so glad to hear you got past this setback.

I don't have to meet you to to know you have a positive impact on all you interact with.

Your courage and commitment are inspiring.

Get rest and get better.

Mike

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for the update. We never know. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers. 2 mos ago they were ckg me for prostate cancer. Seemingly negative after a positive. Did bone marrow biopsy negative. Last week a groin lymph node biopsy. Dr that did test saying ckg for lymphoma. Waiting for results. Tomorrow another blood test.Then see oncologist Wed.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Take it easy Greg and recoup. Prayers sent.

Old 05-19-2024, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, thanks so much for your reply last night. I'm available any time, any day, so please get some needed rest and call when it's the best time for you.
Your message to everyone is another example of what type of person you are. Of the thousands of members to come, stay or go, in my opinion you've always been the most decent, likeable and respectable member here. I'm sure others will agree.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:28 AM
Senior Chief

Prayers to you, yours and the medical team and wishes for a speedy recovery, Greg!

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim Moshier For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg

Glad to hear that you're results were (relatively speaking) positive. I've been where you are (3 cancer surgeries - 2006, 2015 and 2017) and there is a lot of stress and worry every time.

Stay strong, and enjoy every day.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, from one stomach cancer patient to another I'm wishing you luck and praying for recovery as best as can be for you.

You may not have been very religious, and with church as it is who can really blame you, but I'm very glad to hear that you are feeling uplifted and supported by people here and those around you. During my diagnosis and treatment and the disasters that followed just knowing people cared and were on my side made a huge difference in my mental health and I attribute a lot of that to my continued being here. I hope and pray it works out for you as well, even if the doctor is giving you "well this isn't the best news but it isn't the worst!" messages. Sometimes not being the worst news is all we can ask for in these situations.

Glad you're still with us and hope you continue to be! Know that we're here continuing to root for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Ben M. For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 11:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Champ, I recall reading recently that you were a three-time survivor. Believe it or not, it was encouraging to me when I read that because you're still here. Cancer survivors are inspiration to me because they're where I want to be. Since I've started this journey I've met so many people who had cancer and it's amazing how many there are.
Ben, sounds like you are another example of that fact. I know that there have to be quite a few more just on this forum alone.
Your stories are all inspirational and spiritually uplifting to me! Sometimes I lose my courage and will for a short period but then I will read something about somebody like you guys and some of my own relatives and realize that it is survivable and if they did it I can do it as well. There are no guarantees of course, for any of us, but as long as there is hope then I'm going to remain in that camp, the one of hope and determination.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 05-19-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 03:02 PM

The Prayer Warriors are out in force, Greg. Stay strong in your faith and the body will follow! Keep the updates coming.
If anyone is in Greg's 'neighborhood', I'm sure a ride would do him good, when he is able.

The Following User Says Thank You to GtoFM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2024, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, I am here if you need anything. The cooking your wife does should put weight back on you in no time. I still hope to get back up there one day and try it myself. Continued prayers sent for a complete recovery.

Old 05-19-2024, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Prayers Lifted Up for you, Greg!

God is Good...

Old 05-19-2024, 11:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lots of love and prayers here on this forum for you. Hope you have a good recovery and get back to your GTO soon.

Old 05-20-2024, 01:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
Greg, I am here if you need anything. The cooking your wife does should put weight back on you in no time. I still hope to get back up there one day and try it myself. Continued prayers sent for a complete recovery.

Phil, you hit on something there that I forgot to mention. If it wasn't for my wife I would be dead already. She has been like a drill sergeant pushing me when I just feel like giving up sometimes.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2024, 02:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just caught the news about Greg .
Stay strong and stay long , you have a lot of friends here .
We might be invisible but we are out here.

I had a big drop in health last year about this time.
Lost a lot of weight and strength and stamina and breath and appetite.
Was predicted to be either cancer or tuberculosis - Quarantined for 3 weeks etc ....
Somehow it was neither one

Have made a good recovery but it was slow going at first.
Can work on my vehicles again now.
Praying that you will too .

I'm 60
Don't think you are much older than me