Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-27-2004, 08:54 PM

Nice Job Paul, hopefully my Trans Am will see that some day!

yep

Old 01-27-2004, 11:46 PM

Paul, that's beautiful work! I built my 455 last year with TPI/FI in mind as a "stage-II" upgrade. Nice to see my design decisions confirmed.

What can you tell us about the new A/C compressor and brackets? You certainly solved the thorny problem of the factory A6 compressor mounting interfering with the TPI rail and tall valve cover.

-Phil

Old 01-28-2004, 07:14 AM
Senior Chief

very nice Paul

Old 01-28-2004, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Vaught:
Quote:

"Tom V - how is this for embracing the modern tech to a 455 HO (crower rod/SRP piston)with ported heads 9 to 1 comp hyd roller(236/242 .527/.547) with P/S, A/C, and a Tremec 5 speed OD trans?"

Very nice work!

The owner can be very proud. And the list goes on!

Pontiac Engines with EFI:

Marty Palbykin 735 HP EFI injected with a Haltech
EFI

Marty Palbykin 1600 HP+ EFI/ Twin Turbo with a
Fel-Pro system.

Mary L. Palbykin Grand Prix with a 455 and a SDS
EFI system

Jack Blum EFI system (please provide specs).

Stan's 61 Catalina Tube Chassis Twin Turbo EFI
with a Fel-Pro system on alcohol HP TBD

Tom Wilhite's 59 Catalina with a IA Block and a FEL-PRO EFI system.

Bruce Lopes 70 GTO Clone with a Wilson Intake,
FEL-PRO EFI system.

Paul Spotts built 455 EFI with Torquer II and DFI
EFI system.

Larry Davis EFI (Throttle Body Injection) Holley

Skip Fix, you are working on something Right?

I know there are a couple more of these EFI projects out there besides mine, Who Else?

Tom V.

http://kurtsplates.homestead.com/files/UR2SLO.jpg <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Mine probably wont see any strip action.
But I should have my E.F.I. done shortly.
just need to paint the torker intake Pontiac Blue.
Polish the fuel rails, and repolish the water crossovers.
Mine's being based on the Holley pro Jection set up.
36lb injectors.
Edelbrock Nitrous system.
Can't wait to see how it works with the 428

"Bye Bye Rice Boy"

Old 01-28-2004, 11:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Paul, thats looking great.
Bill Bauer (PMDRACER) built mine back in 1996. He built it after an argument over which carb to use. Bill said 'screw it, fuel inject the damn thing'. Well after that comment, Bill saw the spark in my eye, and knew he was in trouble. He finished the manifold just 2 days before the GTOAA nationals. We fired it up for the first time at 2am and drove it onto the trailer and headed out.
The motor has just been freshed-up after several 160mph+ runs at the Silver State Classic. After our last run I could tell the car was going to loose the battle over air resistance and speed. So of course it needs MORE POWER. It now has a Comp solid roller cam 264/270@50 110 deg lobe sep w/.695 lift using Yella-Terra 1.65 ratio shaft roller rockers, the 300cfm ehead from Jim Butler, Edelbrock 58mm throttle body, FAST EFI control, eagle rods, Jims new stroked crank, 30 over 455, T56 6 speed dual overdrive, aluminum drive shaft and a 3.55 rear gear with Auburn posi (Somebody stop me, please).
Just upgraded from the Accel batch fire to the FAST sequential EFI. Easier to use, but still the same basic settings. Upgrade the injectors from 36lb/hr to 44lb/hr to support the new engine combination.
Also rotated the manifold 180 deg and built a 'ram air' inlet box. Air comes in through a hole in the core support just behind the high-beam light.

TigerEFI.com (Classic Pontiac Fuel Injection)
Classic Pontiac EFI Forum
Jack@TigerEFI.com
68 GTO, 455 JBP EFI, 6 Speed Dual Overdrive
Motto: Build it for NASA and drive it like you stole it!

2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 01-29-2004, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks beautiful Jack. Some excellent work there.

http://home.earthlink.net/~uptons1/ <~~some pics of my 65 GTO

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 01-29-2004, 07:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd like to add a name to the list of EFI'd cars-- The ex-Car Craft staffer Tony Nauseida (sp?? sorry dude, I'm doing this on the fly and can't remember the spelling). Remember? He had a multi-issue article on EFI conversions for a Pontiac.
Pretty cool seeing all this hardware starting to (finally) appear!!

John

Old 01-29-2004, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's very smooth, Paul!

Tom, I had to switch from that Pro-jection 4 system to a DaVinci carb. As the flow wasn't going to be enough at higher RPMs. Still plan on doing some back to back testing of that unit.
Problem is that it's controller is analog.
I will be swaping to EFI for good at sometime.
Waiting to see what happens w/ this Edelbrock based system. Meantime I'm back to fixing the oil leak.

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!

SECOND AMENDMENT: AMERICA'S ORIGINAL HOMELAND SECURITY!
Old 01-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jack Blum,
Why did you use a intake of that design when building for EFI? I only ask because I want to use the same style throttle body on my street engine and wanted to just use a torker2 intake. If there is a advantage ie- better air flow I wouldnt have a problem fabbing one of those up. Always looking for ideas. Thanks,Jeff

The sun's gotta shine on a blind dog's a$$ once in a while, but all I see is clouds.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

JDW -

To be brief, we went this route because we wanted straight (slightly tapered) runners, and a large plenum. Our 'version 1' used a modded Torker manifold that obviously didn't have the plenum area. We also didn't like the upward-facing throttle body, but that's more of a personal preference thing.

To be perfectly honest, we also did it for the WOW factor at the Nationals, and figured if you're gonna do it, go all the way.

What the heck. Here's a pic of the new lower manifold runners we're having made. There's been some small design changes since the pic, but you get the idea.

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

The point to life isn't necessarilly the decimal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFIRunner.gif
Views:	921
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	10448  

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 01-29-2004, 03:34 PM
Senior Chief

Tom, you can add me to your list.

PMDRACER, is your manifold going to be available any time soon? One way or another I will have better manifold in the spring. I'd rather not have to build one from scratch.

Paul S, that's one sweet looking engine!

Paul
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TA_Engine_Small.JPG
Views:	912
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	21434  

Old 01-29-2004, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got a Holley TBI for my son's 81 TA but haven't gotten around to putting it on, too many other bugs with motor,tranny and @#$* leaking T tops(can find a decent driver's side gasket even new GM boxes).Might have to sell it and get him a newer car to go to college in next year.

I also have a M/T cross ram I REALLY want to see if I can get injectors underneath(saw a cool early Hemi one dome that way in Hot Rod), or maybe the old Hilborn unit I have. But its definitely on my project list.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 01-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Jack - was it your 68 GTO that was in Whichita, KS? - the indoor GTOAA? if so I was there and helped a little - you guys were still assembling (thrashing) before the show.

If you guys get a chance - get a Kinsler catalog. They show some wild EFI conversions - they even have available the cast 2 piece injector type intake that was developed for Pontiac in the 60's. They show it with EFI and Eheads that one of the employees owns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.spottsperformance.com
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kinslersmall.jpg
Views:	872
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	8480  

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 01-30-2004, 12:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yea Paul that was us in Whichita, and thanks for the help. Sorry if I don't remember but I was walking around in a daze from that whirl-wind tour. That car was a frame in my shop and the body on saw horses at the body shop 13 days before that show! We had people come up to us and say 'you know there's no project class'

We are working on our manifold, but in our spare time, and there dosen't seem to be much of that left these days. I really could not put a time to finish, but you can be sure I will let everyone know when we get close.

Classic Pontiac EFI Forum
Jack@TigerEFI.com
68 GTO, 455 JBP EFI, 6 Speed Dual Overdrive
Motto: Build it for NASA and drive it like you stole it!

2004 GTO Company car, 1994 TA 25th Anv, 1971 Grand Safari Wagon, 1968 GTO EFI, 1968 GTO Stock, 1968 GTO Convertible in desperate need of restoration.

Old 01-30-2004, 03:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> the indoor GTOAA? if so I was there and helped a little - you guys were still assembling (thrashing) before the show.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paul - thank you for the help.

And, thank GOD somebody had the idea to put that show indoors!

TIGER EFI - Electronic Fuel Injection for the Traditional Pontiac Engine. bill@tigerefi.com

462 cid/ 6x-4/ TH400/ 3.36:1/ 28x10.5/ 3880#/ 12.35 @ 109.36/ 1.69 60 ft/ 4 wheel disc brakes/ 15 mpg
Old 01-31-2004, 08:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I thought that was you guys - I stared at that engine for a long time - first EFI motor I saw. You guys impressed me with getting the car there and getting a lot done at the show.

I liked that show - had fun at that one restraunt that had a jail cell in it - there is a picture of that floating around somewhere.

That was also the furthest I ever drove - I think it took 26 hours from here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
www.spottsperformance.com

East Coast Pontiac engine builder - still going strong
4 month waiting list
email spotfam@verizon.net

1981 Trans Am 455 w/6X heads 4 speed 4 wheel disc (for sale)
1969 Trans Am clone 9.79 at 139 so far
1964 Banshee clone project - Opel GT platform
Old 02-01-2004, 11:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, my wife and I trailered the GTO 20 hours non-stop to catch up with the rest of the group we were supposed to be with. Met up with them in Dalhart, Texas. Talk about the armpit of America!

Funny thing was, on the way back home we were all low on gas and had to pull into Dalhart again. On a Sunday afternoon no less. All the gas stations were closed. One of the guys in our group said over the CB "You all forgot you ain't in California no more. People around here go to Church on Sundays and go home." Luckilly we found the one place in town that was open and got enough gas to get to the next larger town. Really thought we'd get stuck there for the night.

Old 02-10-2004, 11:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to lugnutt

It sure would be nice if someone put together a complete system for the pontiac. I know holley has the projection, but that is TBI.
What kind of a figure ($$$) do you think it would be to have a production TPI.
Maybe if we have enough people interested, someone would step up and put it together.
Just a thought, and a dream I guess.
Some of us do not have the time or the $$$$ to spend on R&D, but if someone had a kit!
I guarantee a few sales!!! I know I have more than one pontiac.

OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!
OH YEAH, Kids are cool!

Old 02-10-2004, 11:48 AM
On Vacation

That was asked on this BB and on the other Pontiac BB and very, very few people were interested and those that were wanted to spend less than the throttle body would cost.

To be a Pontiac guy and want new technology is a very odd thing. Most things you'll have to be the guinee pig on. Sad but true.

PY's first and ONLY real, live celebrity. If you don't know, you better ask somebody!

Old 02-10-2004, 11:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to lugnutt

I understand. What up with the tiger efi. Do they actually sale parts or what. I went to the web site did see any price lists. ???
Is the projection from holley even worth fussing with?

OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST, I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!
OH YEAH, Kids are cool!