Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-27-2019, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Didn't drive them near enough this year due to working a lot. Still sounds like I drove them more than quite a few here, though. I use them to run errands or go out to dinner or just up to the lake. If I didn't need a truck for work, I'd drive them to work too. The roads are pretty crappy with salt now, but if we get enough rain to clean them off, I'll still drive through the winter... until they salt again.
Hey Goatless....my son just moved to Newtown....was just down to see the new house ,couple weeks ago.

Old 12-27-2019, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
Hey Goatless....my son just moved to Newtown....was just down to see the new house ,couple weeks ago.
Really?? That's pretty cool. There are quite a few of us Pontiac guys here. You'll have to let me know next time you're down- I'll take you out to lunch if I've got time.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 12-27-2019, 11:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I try to take the 67 out every weekend...usually on 300 plus mile trips to...somewhere. I think the longest ride this year was over 400 miles in a day. Overdrive is awesome(5 speed Legend).

Old 12-28-2019, 12:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
I was in the same boat as you. 3/4 mile of dusty gravel road dampened my enthusiasm to take my cars out, much more so than I anticipated before we built our house. After two years the city paved the first 1/2 mile, and to appease neighbors who were totally against paving, they used a polymer emulsion on the rest--tilled it into the soil, graded and compacted it, and then applied a couple top coats. Dust control is a big priority here, so we lucked out. I take the cars out much more now.
We've been here for over 20 years and they've applied dust abatement TWICE. I also have a few neighbors who love dust and resist any changes to the road. It stays in pretty bad shape too now that there are many more people driving on it.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
We've been here for over 20 years and they've applied dust abatement TWICE. I also have a few neighbors who love dust and resist any changes to the road. It stays in pretty bad shape too now that there are many more people driving on it.
You guys worried about dust need to visit the desert South West Dust here in Arizona is pretty much a way of life. You can't even drive on a paved road without getting dust on the cars. Always wind or light breezes blowing dust around, so sitting still outside for any length of time gets pretty dusty too.

You just learn to deal with it. It washes off and is pretty easy to maintain if you stay on top of it. I'll take dust any day over rain and snow.
We drive our classic stuff daily, don't even own a new car. Newest thing I own is an 05 duramax and I don't daily it. Sits most of the time, sometimes for months, and only used if I need to tow or haul something.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been to Arizona and New Mexico a few times but never lived there.. l can imagine though.
The dust I'm dealing with is super fine like talcum powder and penetrates everything. In the dry summer, a car can go down the road and 2 or 3 minutes later it looks like a fog is rolling through the woods towards my house. Road is nearly 100 yards away.
Really, as far as the car goes, it bugs me to have to wet my car twice every time I drive it. That's where you have an advantage in a super dry climate.
Lately l've kept it covered and just dust it off instead of washing it.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Old 12-28-2019, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drive mine almost every day but its not an everyday driver. Plus I bring it to the North Carolina mountains four times a year. Its a blast through the mountains!!!

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 12-29-2019, 03:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When my car is finished it will be my daily transportation. Rain sleet or snow. We don’t salt the roads down here just sand. Every collector car I have ever had(a lot) has been a daily driver. To me a car is a tool, a Classic is just a much cooler tool. My wife’s new charger is nice but it looks like every other car on the road

Old 12-29-2019, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Been to Arizona and New Mexico a few times but never lived there.. l can imagine though.
The dust I'm dealing with is super fine like talcum powder and penetrates everything. In the dry summer, a car can go down the road and 2 or 3 minutes later it looks like a fog is rolling through the woods towards my house. Road is nearly 100 yards away.
Really, as far as the car goes, it bugs me to have to wet my car twice every time I drive it. That's where you have an advantage in a super dry climate.
Lately l've kept it covered and just dust it off instead of washing it.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
I just stay on top of it daily with a dust mop to get the majority off, then touch up with a damp micro fiber towel. Usually only washing the wheels. Rarely do I need to wash the whole car, as long as I stay on top of it daily. Let it go more than a couple days and that's a different story.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:59 AM

Default Something I need to respond to

I don't post much on here but this thread strikes a nerve. I drive my 72 Pontiac Grandville Convertible and 87 Grand National everyday they are running and it's not raining. I drive them more than my daily driver, a 2018 Ram.

I don't understand why people don't drive their classic cars more. I don't get it. I drive my cars so much every where I go people tell me about seeing me on the road. Kids teacher, doctor, auto parts store, etc etc. you'd think I'm a celebrity but the fact is you rarely see classic cars on the road so people notice. I see more exotics in Houston than classic cars. I don't understand how you can be into classic cars, spend all that money on fixing them up and then rarely drive them. I don't get it.

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 01-01-2020, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGACY_GN View Post
I don't post much on here but this thread strikes a nerve. I drive my 72 Pontiac Grandville Convertible and 87 Grand National everyday they are running and it's not raining. I drive them more than my daily driver, a 2018 Ram.

I don't understand why people don't drive their classic cars more. I don't get it. I drive my cars so much every where I go people tell me about seeing me on the road. Kids teacher, doctor, auto parts store, etc etc. you'd think I'm a celebrity but the fact is you rarely see classic cars on the road so people notice. I see more exotics in Houston than classic cars. I don't understand how you can be into classic cars, spend all that money on fixing them up and then rarely drive them. I don't get it.
Two answers - kids and winter.

Kids - I might take my kid for a jaunt every now and again, but day in, day out, we are taking my new truck with antilock brakes, side curtain airbags, stability control, crumple zones, all that jazz, not my 65 GTO or even worse my 72 Chevy pickup with a gas tank behind the driver’s seat and two more saddle tanks outside the frame rails.

Winter - from what I gather, road salt is an issue even when the roads are clear. I have not fully made up my mind about this and may decide to drive my classics on clear roads in the winter.

I can live with the potential consequences of driving my old stuff by myself in the winter. I cannot live with the potential consequences of driving my kids in the old stuff on a daily basis.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

I drive mine when I can, and if the Bird isn't getting upgraded or fixed. Hopefully today is one of those days.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have six collectible cars, one I'm building at the moment. Three of which are Pontiac's. Where I live every Friday we have a lunch cruise to various locations that can be as close as 8 miles away or 50 miles away. There are about 120 guys on the lunch list and usually we get between 40 and 70 guys to show up with their cars. Also Every Saturday we have a early morning donut shop cruise in which is 8 miles away after donuts we break off into different groups of 10 or so and go to breakfast. We do this all year long. If for some reason we get rain or occasional snow in winter ( like we did over Thanksgiving ) we drive our daily driver instead. It's not only the cars, but the people as well.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Like most I don’t drive it near enough. I try to get it out once a month for a local drive but the last couple of years sick parents have ate up my free time. Eventually I still would like to take it on a Route 66 cruise. I have only put a little over 800 miles on it since I completed the restoration, the clutch isn’t even broke in yet. Then there is the winter. It used to be OK around here as long as winter weather wasn’t forecast the roads were fine. Now our State road crews put down a salt slurry mixed with beat juice when the temps are forecast to go below freezing even if there is no precipitation forecast. So our roads, mainly the bridges, constantly have this sticky salt residue on them. That really limits driving it in the winter months now. I guess we need to keep the snowflakes safe because the bridges might get frost on them.

Retired Helicopter Pilot
Old 01-01-2020, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We went the other direction. We don't like air bags, my wife especially. ABS brakes are, well, sometimes more trouble than they are worth, for us anyway. I've always had wheels speed sensor problems with those things.

My son grew up in the back of our 70 Formula, car seat and all. Actually he grew up in nothing but classic cars 95% of the time. Today, as an adult now, he prefers to ride in the 69 Camaro more than anything else since it has a more friendly back seat than the Firebird. He also likes the 72 chevelle, a little more roomy.

We just don't really worry about safety features much. Drive defensively and most of the time I'm on back roads that are less traveled anyway. It's just the way we prefer to live and get to enjoy our classics as a result.

Luckily living in Arizona gives us year round driving weather. I do understand the winter and salt thing coming from Ohio. When we lived there I actually had a classic beater that we used during the winter months. I had several V8 Vegas and Monzas we drove for years until they rusted into the ground, then I'd go out West and buy another one, lol.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
We went the other direction. We don't like air bags, my wife especially. ABS brakes are, well, sometimes more trouble than they are worth, for us anyway. I've always had wheels speed sensor problems with those things.

My son grew up in the back of our 70 Formula, car seat and all. Actually he grew up in nothing but classic cars 95% of the time. Today, as an adult now, he prefers to ride in the 69 Camaro more than anything else since it has a more friendly back seat than the Firebird. He also likes the 72 chevelle, a little more roomy.

We just don't really worry about safety features much. Drive defensively and most of the time I'm on back roads that are less traveled anyway. It's just the way we prefer to live and get to enjoy our classics as a result.

Luckily living in Arizona gives us year round driving weather. I do understand the winter and salt thing coming from Ohio. When we lived there I actually had a classic beater that we used during the winter months. I had several V8 Vegas and Monzas we drove for years until they rusted into the ground, then I'd go out West and buy another one, lol.
I live in Arizona and we had snow on Thanksgiving and Christmas

Old 01-01-2020, 12:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
I live in Arizona and we had snow on Thanksgiving and Christmas
We didn't have much of anything at our house in PV. Nice thing though that if it does they only toss a little sand on the roads and let it go, no need for salt. Generally because once the sun comes out the snow we do get doesn't hang around much past noon. So it's never really posed an issue for us.

Old 01-01-2020, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEGACY_GN View Post

Easy answer:

- Weather - when 1/2 of the USA is covered in rain, sleet and snow 7 months a year it makes time (below) more important
- Physical location- living on a dirt road or other locations simply not conducive to driving and ENJOYING your classic car
- Time - wives, kids, age, health etc

Add these up and you have loss of interest ......

I envision a huge glut of cars and parts becoming available as the boomers age. Cars and parts hoarded for many years will become available. Problem is, there will not be near as many who will want them or care....all those widowed granny’s be selling grandpas “junk” for pennies on the dollar...

Add In the new era of electric cars and this hobby may die sooner than later....

Why I’m getting some drive time now! I’m going to burn fuel and tires till I can’t anymore!

71 GTO, 463, KRE 295 cfm heads ported by SD Performance, RPM intake, Qjet, Dougs Headers, Comp cams HR 246/252 ...11 to 1 , 3.55 cogs, 3985lbs.....day three- 11.04 at 120mph ....1.53 60', 6.98 1/8 mile
Old 01-01-2020, 02:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
We didn't have much of anything at our house in PV. Nice thing though that if it does they only toss a little sand on the roads and let it go, no need for salt. Generally because once the sun comes out the snow we do get doesn't hang around much past noon. So it's never really posed an issue for us.
PV as in Prescott valley?

Old 01-01-2020, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by U47 View Post
PV as in Prescott valley?
Yes sir