THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-31-2014, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn e. View Post
We just found out that my son will be stationed in Naples for 3 years. Mid February. He is in the Navy.
Shawn
Shawn -

See from your avatar that you're a Cavalry fan. Were you in the cav? When/where? I spent 2 years in 1st Cavalry Division, 15 months of it deplolyed to Camp Taji, Iraq.

Scott

Old 12-31-2014, 09:14 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

8thID Lee Barracks in Mainz Germany and 61st Ft. Polk. 1985 through 89. Peace time so to speak. Thanks for your service!

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 12-31-2014, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
We just found out that my son will be stationed in Naples for 3 years. Mid February. He is in the Navy.
Shawn
My son is in the Navy too...Where is your son stationed now? Mine is in San Diego on the USS Ronald Reagan.

Old 01-01-2015, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
8thID Lee Barracks in Mainz Germany and 61st Ft. Polk. 1985 through 89. Peace time so to speak. Thanks for your service!

Shawn
I know Ft Polk well. We may have crossed paths there sometime in the late 1980's.

Thanks for your service as well.

Scott

Old 01-01-2015, 11:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
My son is in the Navy too...Where is your son stationed now? Mine is in San Diego on the USS Ronald Reagan.
He is still training in San Antonio to be M.A. (MP). He was in an 800 division for basic to be a diver. He made it to pool week in diver prep and had trouble with a multiple choice test missed it by one point re took it missed by one and was involved in a group reprimand. 3 strikes he was bummed. He leaves for Italy in mid February and we are saving for air fare plan on visiting him at the halfway point.

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 01-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Italian car.

Scott,
See if you can find an older Countach or a 512 boxer. You can bring it back here when you return home and clean up on it. Brian.

Old 01-01-2015, 01:19 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb Viva La Frogs!

While you're still stateside, grab an old London Fog, and prep to get your Peugeot 403 like Colombo did

Old 01-01-2015, 01:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
He is still training in San Antonio to be M.A. (MP). He was in an 800 division for basic to be a diver. He made it to pool week in diver prep and had trouble with a multiple choice test missed it by one point re took it missed by one and was involved in a group reprimand. 3 strikes he was bummed. He leaves for Italy in mid February and we are saving for air fare plan on visiting him at the halfway point.

Shawn
Bummer about the reprimand but when one door closes, another opens. Best of luck to him.

Old 01-01-2015, 02:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ive owned a few Quattro's including a GT when i was a kid...im 6'1" and 225...well i was...and i really enjoyed the cars...tons of room..4 big adults fit easy....i really liked them, but went thru a time when i refused to drive anything but a traditional US car...so i quit buying them..

they have to be cheap over there....and are well driving, fuel efficient and easy to maintain..i would at least look at them a little before id count one out...some are pretty sexy..some are mundane...but a turbo stick car can be very fun

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 01-02-2015, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guilty View Post
Scott,
See if you can find an older Countach or a 512 boxer. You can bring it back here when you return home and clean up on it. Brian.
Seems like the cheapest Lambo's start at $50k. Out of my price range. Thinking the 512 boxer will be the same, but I'll check.

Thanks

Scott

Old 01-02-2015, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
Ive owned a few Quattro's including a GT when i was a kid...im 6'1" and 225...well i was...and i really enjoyed the cars...tons of room..4 big adults fit easy....i really liked them, but went thru a time when i refused to drive anything but a traditional US car...so i quit buying them..

they have to be cheap over there....and are well driving, fuel efficient and easy to maintain..i would at least look at them a little before id count one out...some are pretty sexy..some are mundane...but a turbo stick car can be very fun
The RS4's and RS6's are sweet cars; that's what I'd be looking for if I was going AWD Audi. However, the wife has had 3 Audi's and they got expensive after a few years. She might get her panties in a bunch if I brought one home. You know what they say, "Happy wife, happy life!" Plus, I don't want to hear, "I told you so," every time I have to fix something.

She seems to think an Italian car would be preferable; I think I can accommodate that -- Fiat Dino Coupe, Alfa Romeo GTV 1750/2000, Lancia Fluvia, etc. If I end up with something modern, the Lancia Delta Integrales are pretty sweet AWD turbo cars with a great racing pedigree.

Also looking like I'm bringing the 68 GTO convt over, too. Just a weekend driver.

Thanks

Scott

Old 01-03-2015, 08:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

a pair of Fiat X1/9 Bertones his & hers

Old 01-03-2015, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
a pair of Fiat X1/9 Bertones his & hers
Ummm...I just threw up in my mouth...never been a fan of these.

Scott

Old 01-04-2015, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do not take a pontiac. Bring something you can use daily, is marketable and sell it there when you leave. New Dodge hemi pickups are popular there. You probably get detax fuel so fuel economy doesn't matter but I recently rented a new hemi crew 8speed and got 21mpg on a 800 mile trip, driving 70mph. Way more fun than any euro POS grocery getter and you don't need to deal with any local mechanics!

Old 01-04-2015, 08:19 AM

Cool stick with Pontiac

Sorry for beeing a 'party pooper' but , I would advice you to keep your Pontiac and stay away from old Italian exotic cars .
They will turn your car dreams into nightmares and clean out your bank account etc.

Have a save tour .

Bob.

Old 01-04-2015, 07:06 PM

What does a DeTomaso Pantera go for over there these days?

I always liked the Fiat Spiders (pre Pininfarina), like the early 70s 124s. Carb and ignition issues are fixed easily and then you have a great little Italian roadster.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
Do not take a pontiac. Bring something you can use daily, is marketable and sell it there when you leave. New Dodge hemi pickups are popular there. You probably get detax fuel so fuel economy doesn't matter but I recently rented a new hemi crew 8speed and got 21mpg on a 800 mile trip, driving 70mph. Way more fun than any euro POS grocery getter and you don't need to deal with any local mechanics!
Dodge hemi pickups really aren't on my radar. We're already bringing over one car (wife's SUV) that the Army will ship for free. Any others are on my own nickel.

A Dodge Ram 1500 would be a real b*tch to maneuver in Naples on a daily basis. Roads are tight, parking spots tiny, traffic is chaotic, etc. Really need something smaller as a daily driver.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Timmermans View Post
Sorry for beeing a 'party pooper' but , I would advice you to keep your Pontiac and stay away from old Italian exotic cars .
They will turn your car dreams into nightmares and clean out your bank account etc.

Have a save tour .

Bob.
Bob -

Appreciate the input. If I bring over my 68 GTO, I'm probably going to end up with something more modern (Lancia Delta Ingegrale?). If I don't bring over the GTO, I'll likely end up with a beater and a nice older Italian car (Alfa Romeo GTV, Dino coupe, etc). Could still be expensive, but I won't be using it for everyday transportation.

Thanks

Old 01-05-2015, 09:30 AM

The Lancia Delta Integrale is a cool car no doubt. A road going version of a very successful rally car with plenty of power. I seen a few about these parts years ago but they were as rare as hens teeth. The basic Delta was sold here too and there used to be plenty of them. None left now though. All rotted away and scrapped. They were sold as a small family hatchback but aside from the usual rust problems of the time they were known for being unreliable with very dodgy electrics. Honestly, I would be wary of eighties Fiat based cars.

Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever you get, buy some extra side view mirrors.......by the case.
Streets are narrow, and no one cares.
Plus the swarms of scooters are thicker than the mosquitoes (which are bad as well).