National Events Events that normally draw audiences from more than a 10 state range

Old 09-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Suspended

The two clubs need to merge and if they cannot do that they should go to a permanent co-vention format, acknowledging that Norwalk is the Super Bowl of Pontiac events and hold their combined conventions at minimum a month earlier. We went to both of the Dayton co-ventions and they were the best conventions ever held IMO. Norwalk year in and year out however is just as good or better since it is all right there in one spot drag racing/swap/show.

We will miss POCI next year because they are holding it too close in time to Norwalk and two 2600 mile round trips in three weeks is too much for us. We may go to the GTOAA convention also we will see. In any given year though if for us it becomes a choice between GTOAA or POCI, and Norwalk, Norwalk will win.

Old 11-29-2014, 01:01 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We have Norwalk so I don't think a co-vention is needed. The clubs are too far apart on their judging standards and causes people to sign up for one or the other that they think they can win which hurts the club. I went to Dayton for the co-vention and it was cool to see all Pontiacs but there sure wasn't the turn out that there should have been. The main problem with turn out seems to be the location and time it's held. Holding it over the 4th of July because the host club can get a good deal on the room rates is not a good reason. Most folks have family functions they have done for years so either you miss out on family tradition or you miss the Nationals. Planning a national show is tough when you have to factor in all the other shows that clash with potential dates. This GTOAA should be great and the turn out the best in years.

Old 11-29-2014, 09:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
2014 convention was co-hosted by a GTOAA Chapter with no local POCI chapter involved
?? no local POCI involvement? no help at all?

Old 12-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Senior Chief

Hey guys,
I am seriously thinking of entering my wagon for the 2015 Louisville meet since it is only a couple hours drive for me. It has a lousy paint job, unfinished interior and is a bit loud. Would I be a laughing stock, or would most people see it as being the fun ride that it is? I'm not trying to win any awards, just wanna hang out with fellow Pontiac enthusiasts.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You would be welcome at the GTOAA Convention in Columbus as well... The Thursday cruise-in downtown, the PV Show on Friday and the open show on Saturday have display only classes. Your car would qualify for the Road Warrior Show at the POCI Event, they are not judged. I think it is down the road from the hotel and across the street on Saturday.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 12-26-2014, 10:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up In my opinion...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansvertdude View Post
Hey guys,
I am seriously thinking of entering my wagon for the 2015 Louisville meet since it is only a couple hours drive for me. It has a lousy paint job, unfinished interior and is a bit loud. Would I be a laughing stock, or would most people see it as being the fun ride that it is? I'm not trying to win any awards, just wanna hang out with fellow Pontiac enthusiasts.
...you and your Safari would be VERY welcome. Shiny paint and handling with white cotton gloves are only part of the event. Definitely check out the Road Warriors endeavor.

National events are about bringing -preferably DRIVING- your Freedom Machine, meeting people of like interests, scoring the swap meet and locating the parts you can't find elsewhere, attending the seminars, and on and on.

Old 12-26-2014, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear View Post
...you and your Safari would be VERY welcome. Shiny paint and handling with white cotton gloves are only part of the event. Definitely check out the Road Warriors endeavor.

National events are about bringing -preferably DRIVING- your Freedom Machine, meeting people of like interests, scoring the swap meet and locating the parts you can't find elsewhere, attending the seminars, and on and on.
Well stated Matt.

Old 12-27-2014, 02:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only convention I've attended was the GTOAA, years ago, when it was held next to the St Louis airport. Lousy location! Had an OK time, but spent most of our time sightseeing St Louis, on our own.

Old 12-28-2014, 11:05 AM

I attended my first convention in Pittsburgh last year, although I have owned my '67 GTO since 1981. I live near Pittsburgh so I couldn't pass it up. I joined the GTOAA so that I could register my car. My experience was that it wasn't that easy for people new to the convention scene to figure out the classes, which events they could participate in, etc. so after the convention in a survey I suggested that they should come up with some type of "First Timer" Frequently Asked Questions document. I also joined the local chapter club following the convention, I thought they did a nice job putting the convention together. I didn't attend every day, just Wednesday and Friday, since I was commuting. I was one of the registered cars, though I just went in "too late to class", again partly based on my lack of knowledge of how the conventions work. For those who were attemtping to "count cars" on site, you could have easily not counted mine, based on the times I was there.

My car's a driver but it's very original - had a repaint before I bought it in 1981, but has original engine, interior, vinyl top, etc. That's one of the quandaries with the shows, it doesn't really fit in anywhere - I have aftermarket chrome wheels (Rocket Racing, like Cragar S/S) so I don't fit in a "stock" class even though my car's almost entirely stock. It's not "restored" nor is it truly a "survivor" since it had a repaint (original color).

I am considering attending the 2015 convention in Columbus, IN but that raises the question about trusting the car enough to make the likely 7 hour drive. At a minimum, I'd want to get the entire front suspension checked out, maybe get the A/C working too. I don't see trailering the car as very likely, and generally I don't see attending without bringing the car. My understanding is that some of our local club members will drive their cars, so I'd hope to caravan if nothing else. I'm hoping to sort this out pretty soon. I'd like to have the "being there" convention experience, rather than the commuting experience, and it sounds like the 2015 gathering is focused on driving the cars, which is one of the benefits of going!

Last edited by Longs; 12-28-2014 at 11:18 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulatFast View Post
You would be welcome at the GTOAA Convention in Columbus as well... The Thursday cruise-in downtown, the PV Show on Friday and the open show on Saturday have display only classes. Your car would qualify for the Road Warrior Show at the POCI Event, they are not judged. I think it is down the road from the hotel and across the street on Saturday.
Paul,

I'm trying to PM you about the Convention but your inbox is full.... I've reached out to Doug a few months ago as live about 15 miles from the site and am willing to help out since you are all the way down in Batesville. I'll try to make a POSI meeting in the near future to get involved.

Joe Erickson

Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 PM

Hello Joe,
I know we can use all the help you want to give in Columbus, IN. I will let Paul and Doug know that you are trying to get hold of them. Maybe we should move this or start posting to the 2015 GTOAA convention.

Thanks,
Chris Hooten (POSI)

Old 01-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
Hello Joe,
I know we can use all the help you want to give in Columbus, IN. I will let Paul and Doug know that you are trying to get hold of them. Maybe we should move this or start posting to the 2015 GTOAA convention.

Thanks,
Chris Hooten (POSI)
Agreed, thanks for the response Chris.

Old 01-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello Joe, I cleaned out my PM box and sent you a message but I just went back and checked... Can't find it? Posted from my phone so maybe no Internet connection? I don't know... Anyway, as Chris stated, we would welcome any and all help! We have a get together this Saturday at the Knights of Columbus in Batesville if you can make it... Free Fried Chicken and Beer! Our next Convention meeting is at the Clarion in Columbus on Jan 17th at 6:30 pm if you can make it! Keep in touch...

www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 01-16-2015, 12:24 PM
Suspended

Personally i thought Convention done 1 thing wrong, it should be open to any vendor who wanted to set-up. This was not the case. I was turned away simply because of not being a member of the club. For me being into Pontiac,s since 1970 hurt me alot. I was not going to spend a ton of money on a weekend evant & buying into books i hardly read. Show was great but again i stayed 1 day & left.Only hope someone reads this & understands other guys points of view.

Old 01-16-2015, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not the case this year at the GTOAA in Columbus. It was a miss communication last year at the local level.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 02-12-2015, 06:48 PM

Are the Host Hotel rooms sold out? Thanks

Old 02-12-2015, 07:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure about Louisville for the POCI, but the GTOAA host, the Clarion resort in Columbus Indiana, still has a few rooms available.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 02-12-2015, 07:13 PM

Paul, this is about the GTOAA convention. Friends of mine where told they could only get three days at the host hotel. Thanks Norm Warling

Old 02-12-2015, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will find out tomorrow, what days were available?I did not know they were sold out yet…there are plenty of rooms at the surrounding hotels I am sure of that.

www.fastrestorations.com

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If the Clarion is sold out, I would recommend the Hotel Indigo. It is about 5-7 minutes away and is downtown...