Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-29-2014, 09:39 PM

Paris I do have another question related to your exhaust port size and flow that you stated on the 4.185 bore. What size I.D. would be a good recommended Primary header tube diameter for that exhaust port given that cfm that you are currently seeing??

Old 05-30-2014, 01:19 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

1.68" exhaust valve; 325 CFM; Wow! That's extremely "blower friendly"...

Old 05-30-2014, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMAIR RICK View Post
Paris I do have another question related to your exhaust port size and flow that you stated on the 4.185 bore. What size I.D. would be a good recommended Primary header tube diameter for that exhaust port given that cfm that you are currently seeing??
The as cast exhaust port flange I.d is 1.875 after porting it was 1.89-1.90 for that I would not run any thing smaller that a 2.0 header which has a 1.875 I.d .

Old 05-30-2014, 05:29 PM

For dons 480 ci pump gas engine I think we have a set of 2 1/8 to 2 1/4 headers Coming.

Old 05-31-2014, 05:32 PM

Paris, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the proper Header primary tube diameter.
Do you think you and Don will be flowing your Current ported intake and exhaust ports on a much larger bore? IF so, what do you think/expect that increased bore size may do to the velocity and CFM air flow? Once again, thanks for sharing..

Old 06-03-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Paris, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the proper Header primary tube diameter.
Do you think you and Don will be flowing your Current ported intake and exhaust ports on a much larger bore? IF so, what do you think/expect that increased bore size may do to the velocity and CFM air flow? Once again, thanks for sharing..
I hope I explain this right. The chamber Is 4.185 and flowing it on a 4.35 bore will show some improvement . But not what it could do with bigger valve and the chamber matched for the bigger bore . With a 2.34 Intake valve and 4.35 bore the valve is .062 further away from the bore . With out going any bigger with the exhaust valve it would be .082 further away from the bore so that being said the bigger bore will really help . Most app would not warrant a 2.300 valve on a relatively small bore and bc of that the port is acting pretty sensitive that is why I'm reluctant to give a number on what I think it will pick up on this particular combination

Old 06-03-2014, 09:57 PM

Paris, thanks for your insight, if I am understanding it correctly if you have a larger bore, example 4.35 or larger, then increasing your intake valve size will help someone take advantage of the larger bore more so then just the larger bore helping out with the intake valve sized for a much smaller 4.185?

Old 06-03-2014, 10:03 PM

Don, do you have any updates on the intake manifold? or are we getting closer to seeing some heads? Do you know by Norwalk 2014, do you think we will see any intakes? I am just trying to size up the packing on the engine I am building. Thanks in advance. We all know quality takes time, and you are all about designing and manufacturing high quality components that will look and work great for all of you upcoming customers.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I should have intakes and heads at Norwalk this year. I will not be racing, but I am going to set up a spot on the racers side of the track with the heads and intakes. Stop by and see me.

Rick, bring your money because I have a set of heads and intake with your name on them.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell
Designer of the DCI Tiger Heads and the NEW DCI Ram Air 5 Heads !!!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dci View Post
Rick, bring your money because I have a set of heads and intake with your name on them.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell
You are a good man, Don!

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:32 PM

Don, I just read your Post updating everyone that you will be at NORWALK this year! I Don't know if I am Dreaming or not but, I think you are saying that you will have YOUR NEW RAM AIR V HEADS and INTAKES available for customers to not only DREAM about HAVING some day but ACTUALLY be able to purchase them from you!! Mark me down for (2) sets of heads and intake manifolds, the other set is for a friend of mine, Don from Saginaw. Jim Robertson will be receiving BOTH sets of heads and intakes, so he can do HIS magic on them, porting and assembling etc. This is a GREAT TIME TO BE A TRUE PONTIAC DIEHARD FAN!!! I have dreamed of having a RAM AIR V engine since back in high school in the late 1970's!!!! NOW my personal dream will be coming through. I bet there are many people from the car show BaretteJackson types to the Woodward Ave. cruiser to the ALL OUT RACERS that can't wait to get there hands on making their own dream engine BECOME a reality!! THANKS A MILLION Don DCI!!!

Old 07-19-2014, 07:35 PM

Don, between now and NORWALK, if you have any updated photos of the NEW RAM V HEADS and INTAKE, Please Share!!

Old 07-20-2014, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Don, I just read your Post updating everyone that you will be at NORWALK this year! I Don't know if I am Dreaming or not but, I think you are saying that you will have YOUR NEW RAM AIR V HEADS and INTAKES available for customers to not only DREAM about HAVING some day but ACTUALLY be able to purchase them from you!! Mark me down for (2) sets of heads and intake manifolds, the other set is for a friend of mine, Don from Saginaw. Jim Robertson will be receiving BOTH sets of heads and intakes, so he can do HIS magic on them, porting and assembling etc. This is a GREAT TIME TO BE A TRUE PONTIAC DIEHARD FAN!!! I have dreamed of having a RAM AIR V engine since back in high school in the late 1970's!!!! NOW my personal dream will be coming through. I bet there are many people from the car show BaretteJackson types to the Woodward Ave. cruiser to the ALL OUT RACERS that can't wait to get there hands on making their own dream engine BECOME a reality!! THANKS A MILLION Don DCI!!!
Rick I feel the same way! I cant wait either. Don is an incredible person and is doing everything possible to make not only our dreams come true but his too.

Old 07-20-2014, 11:34 AM

Does anybody know if there any OEM Ram Air V exhaust Manifolds that fit 'A' Body and or 'F' Body Pontiacs?? If we can find a set or two of them, RAM AIR RESTORATIONS might see a market of remaking them with a spacer/adaptor to line up with Don's NEW RAM AIR V Heads and still have a very stock like look. Food for thought........

Old 07-20-2014, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to hear theres some excited customers here.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rick,have you talked to Paul or are you just thinking out laud?There are a handfull of sets around but not sure if anyone would let them out of their hands to be digitized.Tom

Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sarge has the only known set of GTO / 2nd Gen Bird Manifolds that are not on a car - loose in hand. He has said before that he would allow them to be copied.
I don't think anyone is prepared to take the financial leap ... yet.
Only 2 sets known.

We only know of 1 set of 1st Gen Bird 400 Manifolds - they are currently on a car.

Don't know of ANY of the BIG BIRD 1st Gen 400 Manifolds - only 1 or 2 pictures are floating around.

Numerous sets of 303 1st Gen Manifolds out there.
They only seem to be useable with short deck blocks.
Raised Casting heads would only compound their lack of application possibilities.

We made a go of it not long ago in a thread in the Judge section.
Looking for sets samples and possibilities etc

Old 07-20-2014, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Richard has said he would allowed his to be digitized by someone local to him,just does not want to let them out of his hands and I dont blame him.tom

Old 07-20-2014, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can understand that too.
Lloyd's of London would probably need to be in on the plan if they ever go outside the vault. And the handling done in a rubber room or heavily padded cell.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No intake pictures yet!!! As soon as I get some I will post them though.

I was kicking around the idea of making exhaust manifolds in iron, but it seems like everyone I talk to wants headers. I think that the audience is so small that they would be to cost prohibitive. We talked about this awhile ago in another thread and that's why I dropped it. I would love to make the tooling for them though if we can get enough people with money in hand.

Don Johnston
DCI MOTORSPORTS INC.
330-850-5050 shop
330-628-3354 cell