Ultimate Warrior

6.98 @ 199mph
4.53 @ 164mph
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wreckmastr For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 09:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Yes tom, but better/best is such a subjective term for some. If its really liked its the same as better. Or so it seems.
Whatever you say Mike, You have the guys figured out a lot better vs me.

Tom Vaught.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Whatever you say Mike, You have the guys figured out a lot better vs me.

Tom Vaught.
didn't mean it towards you in a negative way...you actually posted more info data on belts and such than I had previously known or researched. If that belt breaks or slips....the fun comes to a screeching stop. Like immediately RIP. My money would be on known commodities when it comes to the ol valve train.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
Old 02-10-2014, 09:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
1st off... Its NOT a 1" belt! Its a wider stronger belt used on certain non Pontiac applications... It may be different length than a BOP spec'd belt.

It may or may not be available for production or for those needing a replacement for their tall deck.

Dont know if their are production plans for standard deck with similar width belt.

This one is for the IA tall deck Bill is putting together.
i inquired about getting one and was basically told its a one off deal. guess my money is no good

Old 02-10-2014, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
......he said sarcastically.

Jim
WOW! You picked up on the sarcasm part, very perceptive! What about the truth part in the second half?

Old 02-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barton View Post
WOW! You picked up on the sarcasm part, very perceptive! What about the truth part in the second half?
Truth Dan? This is where it always takes a "LEFT" turn. Most of the koolaide drinkers prefer the emotional defense rather than the logical truth based version.....

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Truth Dan? This is where it always takes a "LEFT" turn. Most of the koolaide drinkers prefer the emotional defense rather than the logical truth based version.....
Yeah, it happens! Here is what I think... I hope Bill can get his deal together, I hope that their drive system is trouble free and doesn't violate any copyrights and he can get out there and get running. I am pretty sure I am not the only one that feels this way, I would postulate that this would be the general consensus from most of us, You know, all of us that that camp thinks we hate them and wish them to fail.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL
Some of you guys sound like a bunch of coffee drinking hens at the local mcdonalds.

Old 02-10-2014, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barton View Post
Yeah, it happens! Here is what I think... I hope Bill can get his deal together, I hope that their drive system is trouble free and doesn't violate any copyrights and he can get out there and get running. I am pretty sure I am not the only one that feels this way, I would postulate that this would be the general consensus from most of us, You know, all of us that that camp thinks we hate them and wish them to fail.
Agreed!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Wade's belt isnt proven? How many failures have there been?
Slowbird... the BOP tall deck belt wasnt available at the time Bill needed it. AND wasnt forecast to be available in the time frame he wanted one!

You are correct there is nothing wrong with a BOP belt drive. Its been a fine setup along with their other products. I never said there was anything wrong with it or it wasnt up to the job.

However, if you have an IA tall deck and you need a belt drive for it, do you abandon your project or come up with an alternative???

If you are then forced into an alternative, do you just make a piece of crap and wait for Wade??? (apparently others with IA tall decks are looking for a belt too. Spare or need a new one? I dont know) Wade may not have enough demand, or cant obtain it, I dont know.

Or... Do you make a duplicate???(Not illegal if you arent selling it. And if you cant get a duplicate belt whats the point?)

Or... do you go ahead and see if you can improve on it???
Due to unavailability of the BOP tall deck size belt when Bill wanted it, the alternative belt created an opportunity to make an improved piece.

You do realize a mechanical engineer that specialized in automotive belt drives for GM and Chrysler was involved?
Those belt drives were NOT limited to fan belts or serpentine accessory drives. His experience includes belt drives for overhead cam engines. (Cam drive belts and cogged pulleys... what a coincidence! ) This would include tensioners and cam phasing accomodations as well as any other supporting elements.
This also includes experience specifying belt design requirements to belt manufacturers so they could supply OR manufacture the belt to those specifications.

To all...
Right now this belt IS a one off deal... (sorry to get your hopes up 535 tall deck)

BUT, here is an opportunity for another choice that may offer improvements over a good piece. It could lead to an rpm variable, rate adjustable, cam timing system being available if there is adequate demand.

BUT instead, the replies to my post mostly seem to discourage such from being offered.
Instead of Pontiac people getting an exclusive part or latest technology for our Pontiacs... it seems some here would rather let the other brand folks get it first or just wait for the politically correct to come up with it.

Is this so "we" can bitch about not having the latest technology?

OR
are "we" only allowed to buy from the select few who are deemed politically correct ???

I can only laugh at some of the posts already made. ASSumptions can be hilarious. Reading comprehension skills of some are good for a smile as well. Most amusing are those who fully comprehend but would rather twist things into what they aren't... so junior high!

Carry on!

Old 02-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_poncho View Post
LOL
Some of you guys sound like a bunch of coffee drinking hens at the local mcdonalds.
I bet I know "which" some of you guys....you refer to. This may be the "LEFT" turn I referred to...

Old 02-10-2014, 10:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Slowbird... the BOP tall deck belt wasnt available at the time Bill needed it. AND wasnt forecast to be available in the time frame he wanted one!

You are correct there is nothing wrong with a BOP belt drive. Its been a fine setup along with their other products. I never said there was anything wrong with it or it wasnt up to the job.

However, if you have an IA tall deck and you need a belt drive for it, do you abandon your project or come up with an alternative???

If you are then forced into an alternative, do you just make a piece of crap and wait for Wade??? (apparently others with IA tall decks are looking for a belt too. Spare or need a new one? I dont know) Wade may not have enough demand, or cant obtain it, I dont know.

Or... Do you make a duplicate???(Not illegal if you arent selling it. And if you cant get a duplicate belt whats the point?)

Due to unavailability of the BOP tall deck size belt when Bill wanted it, the alternative belt created an opportunity to make an improved piece.

You do realize a mechanical engineer that specialized in automotive belt drives for GM and Chrysler was involved?
Those belt drives were NOT limited to fan belts or serpentine accessory drives. His experience includes belt drives for overhead cam engines. (Cam drive belts and cogged pulleys... what a coincidence! ) This would include tensioners and cam phasing accomodations as well as any other supporting elements.
This also includes experience specifying belt design requirements to belt manufacturers so they could supply OR manufacture the belt to those specifications.

To all...
Right now this belt IS a one off deal... (sorry to get your hopes up 535 tall deck)

BUT, here is an opportunity for another choice that may offer improvements over a good piece. It could lead to an rpm variable, rate adjustable, cam timing system being available if there is adequate demand.

BUT instead, the replies to my post mostly seem to discourage such from being offered.
Instead of Pontiac people getting an exclusive part or latest technology for our Pontiacs... it seems some here would rather let the other brand folks get it first or just wait for the politically correct to come up with it.

OR
are "we" only allowed to buy from the select few who are deemed politically correct ???

I can only laugh at some of the posts already made. ASSumptions can be hilarious. Reading comprehension skills of some are good for a smile as well. Most amusing are those who fully comprehend but would rather twist things into what they aren't... so junior high!

Carry on!
That made my head hurt, so i quit reading. Why not say he needed to make his own to get it in the time frame bill wanted.

Last edited by mike leech; 02-10-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 11:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That made my head hurt, so i quit reading. Why not say he needed to make his own to get it in the time frame bill wanted.
Sorry you cant be bothered to read my entire post Mike. If you like I can break it down into several posts. Just figured I'd get it done in one.

Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I bet I know "which" some of you guys....you refer to. This may be the "LEFT" turn I referred to...
Well........ out with it.... to what persons is he referring to?

Old 02-10-2014, 11:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sorry you cant be bothered to read my entire post Mike. If you like I can break it down into several posts. Just figured I'd get it done in one.
TMI.....TMI

Old 02-10-2014, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well........ out with it.... to what persons is he referring to?
ANYONE not in your "camp"

FWIW I would have strongly considered just saying "something" like....In retrospect I could have chosen a better description of what bill had made.....Theres nothing wrong with the BOP its just not available in our timeframe of 10 years, OH and KOOL AIDE TO THE FMFers!

Last edited by mike leech; 02-10-2014 at 11:16 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only a few more posts to bury my post anyway... Post away Mike! Your almost as good as that guy in Rhode Island.

The Following User Says Thank You to BruceWilkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

To all...

OR

Carry on!

there now we can all relive it in its original splendor

Old 02-10-2014, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

didn't squash my hopes Bruce. my build will go on

Old 02-11-2014, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535 tall deck View Post
didn't squash my hopes Bruce. my build will go on
Thats a good thing! Its a shame Bills deal is a one off....

but some here seem to want it that way till someone more politically correct comes up with something. Regardless if someone else needs an IA tall deck belt or belt drive.

Enough demand could create production... but I dont think there is currently enough demand to be affordable.
As I said, there are advancements that could be made with belt drives both external or internal with features such as tension compensation and adjustable rate variable timing... obviously similar pieces for standard blocks as well. But... looks like "they" want to wait for someone else to do it.

The political bull crap slows or stops progress. Politics isnt one sided.