Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-18-2023, 04:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
On my '67 GTO I have had the same problem on two different occasions. The first time it was the sock in the fuel tank wadded up into a ball. The second time it was small cracks in the rubber fuel line from the tank sending unit to the steel line. Not leaking, but causing the fuel pump to pull air instead of fuel.
Just to add to this post, if you have the car idling, and put your thumb over the bowl vent, the air being pushed into the carb will pressurize the bowl, and flood the engine, causing it too first idle poorly, then stall.

This is the easiest way I know to troubleshoot for a suction line pulling air into the lines, and pushing it into the carb. The air takes up enough volume in the line to starve the fuel system causing the scenario you're describing.

Sometimes you can have rust pinholes in the metal lines, as well as a deteriorated rubber connecting hoses, or loose clamps.

The sock in the tank can be a problem as has already been mentioned. I had a new sock on my new sending unit in my new fuel tank in my truck that was too fine, and plugged within a year. All the material that these socks are made from isn't always equal in pore size, and if it is too fine it will plug up fairly rapidly. After dropping the tank again I found my sock was too fine, and that it's a fairly common problem that the material isn't correct with improper pore size. I had to find some material with larger pores, and fashion my own sock It's been over 5 years since I made my own, and it's been fine.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated