Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-23-2022, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
It's so cold here if you didn't warm her up she would stall in the driveway - that if you could see out the winder.
If your engine stalls because it's cold out, the poor thing is not tuned properly for the weather. It's "the heat of the day" right now, and -5F. We're approaching but have not yet actually seen -20F overnight. January will be worse.

I understand race engines not having a choke system, or cold-enrichment on the fuel injection. Maybe even have the exhaust crossover for the intake manifold plugged. If your engine doesn't have a choke and a heated intake manifold, you have no business driving it in cold weather. You're just torturing the engine. Or the idle system is pig-rich, which I see fairly frequently. (The owner/tuner of no-choke, hot-rod carburetor vehicles that get used in cool weather always claim the idle mixture is "just fine" until they see the results of an exhaust CO/HC test, or see the scored cylinders from fuel washing the oil off, and eventually contaminating the oil.)

Show me an engine in good condition, with a carb having a properly-tuned choke system and an OEM-style heated intake manifold including heated air intake from a stove on the exhaust manifold, running winter-blended fuel and winter-weight oil, I'll show you an engine that runs SEAMLESSLY from -20F on up to operating temperature.

Every manufacturer I've paid attention to warns against excessive cold idling. They all tell you to start the engine, kick it off of fast idle, and DRIVE IT (cautiously--slowly) until the engine is fully warm. This was standard-operating-procedure in the owner's manual of my mother's '66 Biscayne. It was not a new concept even then. The only reason people allow the car to "warm up" is so they can go back in the house for another cup of coffee--it's for the comfort of the operator, not the benefit of the vehicle.

Chrysler, for example, had automatic transmissions that didn't warm up properly until they were put in gear. Lots of cracked Torqueflite cases from excess idle, fully-warm engines that got dropped into reverse gear and then run like the whole car was "warmed-up".

Last edited by Schurkey; 12-23-2022 at 05:36 PM.
Old 12-23-2022, 05:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
I have a 2002 Olds Alero, my high gas price driver. 2.2 4 banger, excellent engine!!!
Coolant warms up incredibly quick.
My usual DD is my 2005 Silverado, 5.3. It takes a little longer to warm up, but not long.

As posted by several. Every enginge is different. Motor oil viscosity will have different cold start effects in Alaska vs. Florida.

Most engines need to get the oil circulating, at least SOME.

The "know it all" info writer is just another of the current trend of folks that think they have ALL the answers. Some of them take great pride in calling themselves "influencers". I hate that term. In Smokey Yunicks biography, he called them BS'ers, had NO time for any of them.
I am same!!!
Yup, it's a similar debate not too long ago to the question, "should you warm your engine up before changing the oil"? Do what you're comfortable with.!!

Old 12-23-2022, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

"Every manufacturer I've paid attention to warns against excessive cold idling. they all tell you to start the engine, kick it off of fast idle, and DRIVE IT (cautiously--slowly) until the engine is fully warm. This was standard-operating-procedure in the owner's manual of my mother's '66 Bicayne. It was not a new concept even then. The only reason people allow the car to "warm up" is so they can go back in the house for another cup of coffee--it's for the comfort of the operator, not the benefit of the vehicle."

This is fine and dandy provided you drive the car far enough to warm it up properly. Many times, this doesn't happen when someone wants to drive a cold car a few blocks. Then the oil will not get hot and burn off all the contaminates. This can result in engine damage as well. This is what I was taught years ago. Do what you think is right and leave it at that!!!

Old 12-23-2022, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 62 Catalina, (the oldest car I have ever owned). It has a green "cold" light as well as a "hot" light. I have added an auxiliary temp gauge as well. The cold light is illuminated I guess to warn the driver not to run the crap out of the car until the light goes out. According to my actual gauge, that's around 130 degrees. I rather like the idea. It's about 3-5 minutes of moderate driving starting the car at about 60 degrees . I let the car idle long enough to fasten seat belt, check mirrors and then go.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
It's so cold here if you didn't warm her up she would stall in the driveway - that if you could see out the winder.
An add on to my last post.

Down at my daughter's so our vehicle is parked outside in -10 degree air temp.

Started it up, got buckled up, headed out prudently (just like I always do whether it 100 degrees or -40) and hit 100 degrees within .75 miles. Ran smooth as silk, just like it should.

If my vehicle would stall in the driveway after a 15 second warm up in cold weather, I'd take it back to the dealer to fix the warranty problem.

Old 12-23-2022, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To me, Idgaf if letting a modern engine "warm up" might slightly impact its lifespan. I'm not getting into a freezing truck in the winter, so you can bet your ass it'll be sitting their idling until it's warm.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 07:55 PM
Boost Engineer

At one time some Ford Vehicles had a remote start function on the Key Fob so that you could have the doors locked but start the vehicle from inside an office in the Research Building. They would let it idle for about 10 minutes prior to walking out of the building.

These were "Corporate vehicles" provided as a "perk to Upper Management people.
Was impressed that the cold start function would work a couple of hundred feet from
the building at the time.

Anyone have a vehicle with that capability??

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
At one time some Ford Vehicles had a remote start function on the Key Fob so that you could have the doors locked but start the vehicle from inside an office in the Research Building. They would let it idle for about 10 minutes prior to walking out of the building.

These were "Corporate vehicles" provided as a "perk to Upper Management people.
Was impressed that the cold start function would work a couple of hundred feet from
the building at the time.

Tom V.
My Forester has the same feature. It locks all doors when the remote start is engaged. It will only idle until the engine reaches its operating temp, then it shuts down.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 12-23-2022, 11:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Thank you HH62 for the info. Merry Christmas

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-24-2022, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My 2017 RAM is the same way. Locks the doors and accessories. You have to get in it with the key fob and hit the start button once to unlock everything and start driving.

I feel the same way as above. Do I think that letting it idle cold for 15 minutes probably isn’t the best thing for it? Yes. Am I still going to continue to do it in the name of comfort? Also yes.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 12-24-2022, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My GMC 2500 same here remote start 15min shuts off. You only can do that twice from brochure. Sure makes you feel warm going to work at 6am. Now retired I just look out the window on cold mornings,I think I'll doze off another 15 minutes.

The Following User Says Thank You to sdbob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 10:01 AM
Senior Chief

My 2013 F150 has a factory remote start . I believe it can be set for 5,10, 15 minutes .

Old 12-24-2022, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That article was probably written by a tree hugger. It also states this applies to vehicles after 1980 so I'm in the clear, I don't drive anything newer than that

If you're worried about oil flow when the engine is cold, pay attention to the cold pour temp ratings on the oil you use. They are all vastly different. Just because the number on the bottle says it's a higher viscosity doesn't mean it has poor cold flow properties. We aren't using oil from 50 years ago anymore, a lot has changed.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 12-24-2022, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I do remember in the late 70's having a few plastic bottles of 20W-50 oil in the trunk of my 4-door 66 Ventura. On a day like yesterday, -10F, opening the cap and pouring it into the engine was like the thickest pancake syrup out of the refrigerator you have ever seen. It took 10 minutes to pour a quart into the engine. We just never gave it a second thought. Hit the key and away we went. The reliable 389 never seemed to care one way or another. Drove it 170K miles and never did anything mechanical to the engine other than a timing set. Modern engines with their tiny oil passages and no camshaft bearings and multiple overhead cams miles away from the oil sump and pump. I can certainly see damage occur over time from oil being too thick and poor flow. A little skeptical about meaningful damage from warming it up.

Old 12-24-2022, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post

Tom V.
Both my current daily driver's have that feature (2021 and 2022) My previous daily drivers also had it (2014, 2014 and 2019). My former and current company car had/have it (2012 and 2022).

That's 4 Chevy's, 2 Cadillac's and 1 Buick.

My previous daily driver's go back to 2006 and did not have it. It was available at the time, but didn't have it on the cars I purchased.

I rarely use it, but when/if I do, it's only for a minute or two before I get in the car and start driving.

Old 12-24-2022, 12:11 PM
Senior Chief

GM started the remote start feature in the late 90's. Typically it is a 10-minute start with a second one, if wanted. It only does the 2 times, after that it needs a key start. Some aftermarket tuning companies have been able to program the BCM's to go longer than 10 minutes. If you have OnStar and have their app on your phone, you can start your vehicle from anywhere. It also has the ability to lock, unlock, sound alarm and flash the lights.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just because the vehicle manufacturers recommend minimal cold idling in their literature; doesn't mean the vehicle manufacturers recommend minimal cold idling!

Sometimes, individuals, AND companies, have help in formulating their opinions!

Jon

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 12-24-2022, 06:24 PM
Senior Chief

Since we’re on the topic of creature comforts, shout out to heated seats and steering wheels, LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-24-2022, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

x2 on the heated seats and steering wheels!

My Cadillac CT4 turns the seats and steering wheel on automatically when the temps are cold. That's a real nice feature.

Maybe that's why I don't feel the need to let my cars idle for 30 minutes prior to getting in the car.

Old 12-24-2022, 06:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
Just because the vehicle manufacturers recommend minimal cold idling in their literature; doesn't mean the vehicle manufacturers recommend minimal cold idling!

Sometimes, individuals, AND companies, have help in formulating their opinions!

Jon
Some of that Jon has to do with passing Bag#1 of the 50 state emissions cycle.

Government says minimum idle in seconds before drive away must happen on the emission portion of the of Bag #1

Tom V.