THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:17 PM
Suspended

I've run all the assorted routes myself over the last 30 years. I've found one time the route is a breeze, the next time nothing but frustrations. I've driven at night thinking it'll be less traffic only to lose more time to night construction.

There are many ways to go. But, the bottom line is - don't try and set an ETA and hold it rigid. You can get in a rush to meet the ETA, and that's when things happen. I have learned that when I am driving to visit family in New England, Florida, or just random vacations, to put myself in a different mindset and let things go and not bother me - the idiots cutting you off, slow drivers, traffic jams, accidents, weather, etc.. Stop as needed and take regular breaks - to include down time for sleep or a power nap. Don't eat heavy meals as these make you sleepy.

As a tractor-trailer driver who used to run over the road, it is always push to get the load delivered on time, and getting paid by the mile means the more miles I run, the more I make - so patience can be on short supply. So having a different outlook on a trip such as yours can make the journey more enjoyable' less frustrating, and less fatiguing.

AND.......make time to visit Don Garlit's Drag Racing Museum as you go by it on I-75 in Florida.

Old 03-24-2021, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF you run across to 81 south, take 77 from 81 south at Wytheville, Virginia to Columbia, SC and 26 to 95. But that is a far longer route than just taking 95 with tolls.

With no Easy Pass they will bill by mail you and charge you 28% more than what's posted as the toll. From what I understand any toll you encounter with no EP, it will cost 28% more.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-24-2021, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post

...........AND.......make time to visit Don Garlit's Drag Racing Museum as you go by it on I-75 in Florida.

Yep, expect to lose about 3 hours there. I do.

Old 03-24-2021, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Yep, expect to lose about 3 hours there. I do.
Two big buildings to view. Charge up your phone or camera as you'll be taking a bunch of pics. Go every couple years to see what has been added. My brother lives in FL about 1 1/4 hour away and visits. He will go into the shop and see Don Garlits and chat with him. Last time I went we had just missed him. He lives in the house right on the property.

Now if you had even more time, I would tell you to take an airboat ride at Wild Bill's Airboat Tours - have done that twice and the best part is running back at high speed and the operator skidding you sideways, uses Chevy LS supercharged engines to spin the prop and it'll put a smile on your face, and some water spray. Last visit it was early spring and me and my brother were only 2 on the airboat. The operator was a younger guy who races airboats and was a hot rodder. We asked him to open it up, and he did. We were flying and going sideways.......... I want an airboat! LOL

Old 03-27-2021, 07:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Spring Break time in Florida

Old 03-27-2021, 07:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Did you buy that 64 Catalina 2+2 in Spring Hill?