THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-02-2021, 07:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Interesting about trying to keep good help away from the space industry.Tom
Agreed, that's one industry there's undoubtedly a future in.

Frank

Old 02-02-2021, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
He told me a year ago or so that it was falling apart.Interesting about trying to keep good help away from the space industry.Tom
Thanks for that link, Tom. I enjoyed the whole thread. Your friend is insightful and interesting. He even mentioned my friend, Rick Roberts a couple times.

Old 02-02-2021, 09:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He just finished the Solidworks for the intake,will be 3D printed in the next 10 days.Tom

Old 02-03-2021, 09:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Not all of us with them make a big deal of it. .
You have an advantage of possessing common sense and sound principles before and after getting your MBA. My observations of the world suggest that that is rare.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 02-08-2021, 12:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is nothing news-worthy.

When Mr. Edelbrock released his book "Made in America", he had it printed in China.

That told me everything I needed to know about the future of the company.

If there's anything you want from their current product line-up, buy it now.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2021, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah. This is nothing news-worthy.

When Mr. Edelbrock released his book "Made in America", he had it printed in China.

That told me everything I needed to know about the future of the company.

If there's anything you want from their current product line-up, buy it now.
When a group of like minded Pontiac fans were trying everything under the sun to convince Edelbrock to make a cylinder head for our engines, Vic was a shrewd business man. Every time the subject was up for consideration, he was all business, expecting a legitimate business case for moving forward and a short path to his ROI. After several years, and the "noise" not going away from the Pontiac crowd, he reluctantly gave a lukewarm go ahead. Love them or hate them, the Edelbrock aluminum head changed the performance trajectory of our engines more than any other single aftermarket part. It also changed the company that produced it, making Edelbrock the niche cylinder head company for many orphan engine platforms. The heads may not have been the absolute best performing, but the quality was great and the heads had great potential. I just hate to see the massive "Brain Drain" from all these storied companies reduced to just a logo and eventually just a memory. But when all the people with passion are purged from the company, all that's left is IOP. (Industrial Opportunity Partners) An acronym destined for failure.

Old 02-08-2021, 01:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Eventually I think it has to go to China, like any company, they have some things made in China now. Some of them are the best quality parts in the catalog.

PackardV8 wrote: For true. Back in a former life, I visited Chinese factories several times. Some were making shoddy stuff. I asked, "With low labor cost and no environmental or safety restrictions, why aren't your parts better?" They said, "It's all your fault. When your buyers come here, they don't ask, 'How good can you make it?' They only ask, 'How cheap can we get it?'

Then, I visited some Chinese factories making world-class products. They were usually partnered with European companies who had QC on site.

The Chinese can and will make anything we want to buy at the quality we want to pay for, at less cost than it can be made here. This keeps US consumer costs low, but ultimately it's a very expensive way to buy votes.

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Some of you may have seen a thread about a 440 Chrysler head, I designed one and had the tooling made in 2018, they still don't have the machining worked out. If they could employ people with the required skills, that would be a couple day deal. But the people with the required skills are not going to work in automotive when the pay and working conditions are so much better in aerospace.

If Victor Edelbrock was still running things, I'm confident quality products would be available, no matter the place of manufacture.

If it's not possible to get parts made here in the US, we have to look at alternatives and be grateful we can get them at all.

What's needed is the desire and demand for quality parts, they can and do get produced, it just needs to be requested and expected.

It takes passion, persistence and determination to get things done, something Pontiac people have been synonymous with for years.

Frank

Old 02-08-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

China? , you mean Taiwan ����. That said, they "were" not the same thing. All the higher quality repops and products we like were made in Taiwan. Poor quality more a China mainland exclusive. Taiwan had a 50 year agreement with China to be somewhat autonomous, and ran itself like a capitalist country. Last year, China landed and broke that agreement because they wanted the money, monopoly, and power of the people there.
Already there are some shortages and price increases on products made there. The US ended up putting the same tarrifs on Taiwan that it has on China. I see more manufacturing headed to India.
On subject, long ago we lost Keith Black, TRW etc to be just names under other umbrellas. Meanwhile the emergence of garbage like "SCAT" from China has invaded. Its true, its better than it was, but it is not great.
I have seen a 25% increase in costs of some auto consumables, but also 5+ % increase in parts.

Last edited by Formulabruce; 02-08-2021 at 02:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post: