Old 12-08-2017, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slider View Post
I just dropped the original tank down on my 65 Tempest and there is a metal tube that is about 1" from fill cap. This was attached to about 1.5" rubber hose that went to a metal U-shaped 1/8" diameter tube that is used for a vent. The metal tube has a small crimp in it that I'm assuming is to limit the fuel from splashing out but has enough of an opening to let the tank vent.
Yes, some A-bodies have that, my fathers 69 is that way. Actually goes up inside the trunk behind the trunk latch and loops around. Not exactly ideal.

Old 12-08-2017, 08:02 PM
Boost Engineer

My 64 GTO (when I got it) had that elbow piece on the Tank Filler and "the loop" in the trunk.

John V says it was not stock on a 64 and I believe him on his info but my car was received AFTER several Mods made by GM people who worked for the guy (who was driving the car).

I always assumed it was a mod to reduce fuel smell in the garage and still vent the tank, not act as a anti- fuel kickback part.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I put 3 gal. of aircraft fuel in the tank every spring and it runs me all year. Great fuel mileage, I guess, and gas never runs out the filler neck!!!!!!!!! "Bill"!

Old 12-08-2017, 10:20 PM
Boost Engineer

YOU are too smart for your "Short Britches", young man! LOL! Merry Christmas Bill.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone got a diagram or picture of where this loop is supposed to run? Where does it connect back to the tank after it comes off the filler tube pipe to the T?

Old 12-10-2017, 06:34 PM
Boost Engineer

"Tee" ?????

My 64 GTO using a 1965 Tank Vent System looks like this (Image attached). No TEE in the line.
Even clicking on the image, it is not a very large picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66 tank vent tube install.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	469835  

Old 12-11-2017, 02:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That image is of a ‘65 system? Goes into the trunk area? Mine does not look like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 12-11-2017, 08:53 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by elefantrider View Post
'65 has the same problem except no paint to ruin because it's behind the license plate in the bumper. Actually, under hard acceleration, my friends would tell me gas shoots out the rear of my filler. That is with a pretty good cap seal.

I am unsure if it is coming out the vent or the cap.

Anyone find a better cap with a tighter seal?
You made this post in this thread. (See above)
You said your 65 had an issue. I posted a 65 style vent. What is the problem with my post here?

Tom V.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not saying there is a problem with your post. I'm saying mine does not look like that, so maybe mine is wrong. Thanks for posting the '65 diagram.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used to "spill" gas out the rear when I raced my '65 some 20 years ago. 11.50-12.00 et. My original tank had the tube on the side of the filler neck. Pretty sure that's where the leak was. So I put a long piece of hose on it and stuck it as high as it could go, zigzaging. NO more spill. I replaced the tank several years ago and it has the same tube.
My car does NOT have the loop in the trunk and never has.

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 12-11-2017, 11:20 AM

I have been using a McCuff for years. Works great, but not perfect, At least I don't get overflows anymore.

http://www.mccuff.com/

Old 12-11-2017, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
"Tee" ?????

My 64 GTO using a 1965 Tank Vent System looks like this (Image attached). No TEE in the line.
That is exactly what's on my fathers 69.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilabner View Post
I have been using a McCuff for years. Works great, but not perfect, At least I don't get overflows anymore.

http://www.mccuff.com/
That's an interesting little piece.

I'm wondering how big that actually is, looks large in the video. I'm not 100% it would actually fit on some of my cars where the filler neck is pretty tight to get at behind the license plate with the bumper in the way etc...because on some of my cars you can't even square up the filler nozzle to the neck of my gas tank, too many other parts of the car in the way. Filler nozzles never used to be so big and bulky.

Something else shown in that video that brings up another issue. Those stupid vapor recovery things they have on some pump nozzles. Those absolutely do not work well on a couple of my cars. Now I'm trying to remember which car it was when I came across that, but it doesn't fit the filler neck correctly because it was so big and bulky and I was spilling more gas on the ground than in the tank. I ended up taking out a pair of wire cutters and cutting that sucker off the nozzle so I could get some gas..
I assume that's technically not considered appropriate So I pretty much avoid gas stations with those nozzles completely.

Old 12-11-2017, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
"Tee" ?????

The picture you posted says it is for 66, not 65. My 65 does not go into the trunk. Its a simple loop that is between the rear bumper and trunk pan. It does not pass up into the trunk like the 66' does.

Old 12-11-2017, 04:24 PM
Boost Engineer

I was told it was for a 1965 System and quite a few pictures on the web I looked at said it was 1964-1967 including Inline Tube and PY (if I remember correctly). CRS is bad when you are old and look at a lot of images.

So I guess John V I still do not know why John L had that specific style vent on the car.

Tom V.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My '65 is backed up against the wall so I can't see where I routed the hose or to what if anything. Mite be that CRS problem ?
Next Spring when I drag it out I'll take sum pics and bring this thread back to life........IF I remember.
Thing is the young'ins reading our knowledge think we know everything. We are human............

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 12-11-2017, 07:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looking through the posts, don't think I've seen any from NJ members. We aren't allowed to pump our own gas here. I never fill up the 65, most pumps have those stupid vapor recovery systems on them. Its actually comical to watch these attendants try to get gas in my Tempest. 1st they try to figure out where the gas cap is, then...
I've seen newer stations now that do NOT have vapor recovery on them so maybe they are going away.
Traveling to Pennsylvania, much better, pump your own and no vapor recovery (that I've seen anyway).

65 Tempest, 400, TH400
86 Fiero SE 2.8
Old 12-11-2017, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkS57 View Post
Looking through the posts, don't think I've seen any from NJ members. We aren't allowed to pump our own gas here. I never fill up the 65, most pumps have those stupid vapor recovery systems on them. Its actually comical to watch these attendants try to get gas in my Tempest. 1st they try to figure out where the gas cap is, then...
I've seen newer stations now that do NOT have vapor recovery on them so maybe they are going away.
Traveling to Pennsylvania, much better, pump your own and no vapor recovery (that I've seen anyway).
Yeah I've driven through Oregon and Washington (North West) and I can't remember which state it was but you weren't allowed to pump your own fuel in one of those states either. I didn't like that deal at all so I made sure I had enough to get across the state line and never went back, LOL.

The only time I've run across the vapor recovery pumps is when driving through California. When I was in one of the classics, it just flat wouldn't work without loosing a couple gallons on the ground. That stupid thing had to slide back a certain amount before the trigger would work, and couldn't get the right angle with the bumper in the way, it was just a mess. That's why I cut the spring and slid that thing out of the way, basically disabled it.

When I was driving the 56 Nomad daily, we used to have full service stations (boy where did those go ) and the young attendants would walk all around the back of the car, try yanking on the license plate, lol, so they at least knew that hiding place. Eventually I had to get out and pull the tail light down and the look on their faces was priceless. One old Sohio station I really enjoyed was run by a very elderly couple, one of the real "SERVICE" type stations. He did all the work on cars and she pumped gas. I'd pull in with the Nomad and she knew exactly where the filler neck was. I always thought that was pretty cool so see the old lady out do the youngins'