Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-04-2017, 05:04 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to X72GPX

I do have a timing light but it backfired flame out the carb after only 2 or 3 seconds of running- (smooth and evenly mind you). Carb was leaking fuel externally so didn't want to try it again for safety reasons, (flames and leaking fuel are bad).

Hmmm now I'm not sure what to do- move one tooth or advance distributor? Afraid of wiping the cam.

Thanks!

Old 12-04-2017, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72GPX View Post

Hmmm now I'm not sure what to do- move one tooth or advance distributor? Afraid of wiping the cam.

Thanks!
First thing to do is get the carburetor fixed. So when you do fire it up you can run it.

You said dot to dot on the timing gears...if you're not sure it's time to start over finding TDC COMPRESSION of No.1 cylinder. I wouldn't move the distributor around and guess at this.

Easy enough to talk you through timing when you get the carburetor ready to run.

Clay

PS what engine is this and what cam did you put in it?

Old 12-04-2017, 06:20 PM
Senior Chief

Hey will this work with an msd box and billet distributor? set your balancer at about the 12 degree mark.Hook up your timing light,turn the key on and rotate the dizzy back and forth until the timing light fires.Lock it down and you should be good to go.If it does not fire,move it over to number 6 and try it again.If it fires you were 180 out.Tom

Old 12-04-2017, 07:43 PM
Boost Engineer

Once you get close on the spot and you are at 12 degrees before TDC always rotate the distributor clockwise so that you catch the leading edge of the rotor not the rear edge.

That should at least tell you for sure. BUT you have to again know if you are on #1 compression stroke, look at the rockers and make sure both closed when you are on 12 degrees. That will be the #1 position for looking for the spark. See spark on #1 at 12 degrees
then you can verify 12 degrees and see if #6 fires. If neither line up & fire at 12 degrees then you are one tooth off on the distributor install.
(FOR BOTH CYLINDERS).

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-04-2017, 07:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use it with points and Pertronix.Never has failed me.Tom

Old 12-04-2017, 08:39 PM
Senior Chief

Didn’t know a timing light would work if motor wasn’t running. Thanks

Old 12-04-2017, 09:21 PM
Boost Engineer

If the key is in the ON Position and you rotate the distributor and open the points the coil will fire and create a spark.

You do not even need a car.

Drill motor, coil, 12 volts to the coil, distributor, wires and a few spark plugs and you can do quite a light show
or get knocked on your aze. Spark plug does need a connection to a battery ground..

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

check your plugs wires are in the right order

Old 12-05-2017, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it fired and ran seemingly OK for 3-4 seconds, then I think your distributor insertion is close enough.

To advance timing, turn distributor cw when viewed from top.

Make a sharpie mark on your balancer 2" cw from the tdc timing mark on the balancer. That will be roughly 32-33 degrees when lined up with the zero mark on the timing tab. That is probably a decent place to be when running the rpm up to 2000-2500 rpm. You should shoot this after you get it running, and get things run up to break in rpm.

If you have things prepped, you can do an initial timing setup immediately after starting as long as you don't hang out at idle long. Shoot for 10-12, run it up to 2000-2500 rpm, then check for 32 degrees. Don't use vac advance during break in. It makes additional variables you shouldn't worry about.

But yes, fix your carb issues first. Maybe a friend will let you bolt your Holley onto a known good car to get it baselined. Your floats are probably not seating or not adjusted correctly.

Another possibility: how much lifter preload did you use? A backfire through the carb might be an intake valve adjusted incorrectly.

Other possibilities are wrong plug wire order, or plug wire crossfire.

Last edited by Squidward; 12-05-2017 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuck shut needle and seat.
Check fuel supply.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by X72GPX View Post
On first fire up after cam install it ran for 2 or 3 seconds (sounded great, nice and even) and then it backfired flames out of the Holley 850 carb. .................Carb was leaking from seals from sitting so long,
Any chance the leak was a spray pump diaphram?
Hitting the throttle with the spray pump not working can definitely cause a backfire. Especially on a cold engine.

Clay

Old 12-06-2017, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

NEVER try to do a FTC breakin with out a know carb,not a 3 year old known carb but one that was on a running engine yesterday!FWIW,Tom

Old 01-16-2018, 12:20 PM
Senior Chief

Hi All,

Thank you for all your help! I did not realize that TDC on the balancer could be either intake or exhaust stroke. I turned the crank manually and saw the intake opening and realized I was 180 out on the cam or 360 on the crank. Broke it in for 20 min alternating between 1500 and 2000 rpm, changed the break in oil, took it for a test ride and it ran great!

Thanks again!!

Old 01-16-2018, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, just keep a mental picture of the Cam and Crank gear in your mind whenever your dropping the Dizzy in.
The Crank being 1/2 the size of the Cam gear makes 2 revolutions for every 1 of the Cam so that allows the Dizzy to be installed two different ways in regards to number 1 being at TDC.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!