Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 11-22-2014, 04:51 PM
Senior Chief

Is that good enough or should I have been more precise?

Old 11-23-2014, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO If "H" and "I" measure out you are done. Off 1/8" at "I" no big deal. But 1/8" off at the "H" measuring point could mean 1/2" or more at the core support mount, plus the sub frame not being square to the rear. I would really try to get it DEAD ON. I think you are correct about measuring points on both sides. Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:36 AM
Senior Chief

I am not so sure my measurement page is correct. I am wondering if it is actually from another manual. They were not actually in my hard copy of the pontiac 77 manual. As I said before, my original measurements were short of that is listed for H and I by 5/8". Thats quite a bit and im not sure I can achieve all that difference with adjustment. As I get closer to the specified distance my subframe gauge hole gets farther and farther off from lining up. Currently my subfrsme gauge hole is much further forward than the hole in the body. Someone mentioned that the simply line the hole up and call it good. The manual does not specify this way or say the holes should line up at the nominally listed dimension, but if they should I am way off. So, this brings me to two conclusions and a question:
1. My manual page seems to be from a different year or something because H and I are so short.
2. The measurements being off shouldnt really matter AS LONG AS the H and I are consistent from side to side, ensuring the subframe is square.

Now the question: does anyone have a similiar page or resource for these measurements for a 77 F body so we can verify that these are the correct measurements that I should b using?

Another observation I have is that the zero gauge hole in the body on the passenger side is not a circle. It is an oval with the oval's long side being parallel to the rear and front bumpers od the car. This means it really only gives side to side location information IF there is supposed to be any relationship between the holes and the body and in the subframe. Im starting to believe there is not supposed to be any relationship between the holes, so this is a moot point. I thought I would mention it though.

If somene could verify that these dimensions are for a 77 trans am and not some earlier or later year it would b much appreciated.

Old 11-30-2014, 12:02 PM
Senior Chief

Anyone have any input?

I installed one yesterday and only welded it. I lifted it up with a jack, grinded off the frames paint and the connector's powder coat and welded a couple good beads. I did not COMPLETELY weld all the way around it in case I have to take it out ever in case I lower the car or something with the solid bushings. Welded it good enough so there are no worries of insufficient welding though. Does everyone who welds them in do all welding or do u do a combination of welding and bolts?