Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 09-17-2014, 07:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
great pics! i see youve done your share of towing, so did you remove the driveshafts on all those tows? how far did you tow?
As far as 50 miles one way, every Sunday (weather permitting).

Not for the manuals, but removed the shaft for all the automatics. I used a plastic shipping plug to keep the fluid from running out.

I finally got tired of all the horsing around at the track (driveshaft and tires) and put it on a trailer.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	376483   Click image for larger version

Name:	trailersub.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	376484   Click image for larger version

Name:	scan0002-1.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	376485  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 09-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

And there ya go

I'll use the trailer occasionally, best way to tow in my opinion, much safer, but more than half the time I'll simply drive the car to the track and race, then drive it home. We do that as far away as a 4 or 5 hour road trip each way, race it all weekend, use it in the evenings around town, then drive it back home. Driven some pretty radical street cars this way. If everything is right and built strong enough for the application there shouldn't be any worries. After all, it's a street car with DOT rubber.
Trailers are nice if you are running slicks, open exhaust and other things of that nature, so you can roll in ready to go without fiddling around in the pits. Although some friends I know who are die hards pack the car up with slicks, jack, tools and just drive it there.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the replies. i called tci & was told the same thing about no lube to rear parts if engine isnt running. but they did say short distances & lower mph should be ok from time to time.

i have a smaller suv & a full trailer is just not an option... do more damage to the little tow vehicle & trans than its worth.

i just bought some new m/t drag radials & 75 miles each way will shorten their life too much for how expensive they are. $200+ each! a little bit of around town on them is ok but numerous trips to the track will cut their life too much for my wallet.

i do like the idea that when loaded on a dolly the fluid will be at the rear of teh trans & may help prevent any wear related to no fluid. ive towed many auto cars for 2-3 hours & more & never had a problem that was noticeable, but im sure it accelerated the wear in some way. & rear wheels loaded may work too, dolly has a pivoting platform so that may be an option too.

or i could just drive it there on street tires & swap them at the track, but then i have to find a safe place for the street tires & jack while i race.... hmmm. i will have to decide which way is best. i could also just drive it there on street tires & follow my suv & dolly with another driver, then keep all the tools & tires locked up while i race... & have a tow option home if something breaks. that may be the best way since the fuel will be about the same vs driving the car or towing it.

thanks again

Last edited by 78w72; 09-17-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
thanks for the replies. i called tci & was told the same thing about no lube to rear parts if engine isnt running. but they did say short distances & lower mph should be ok from time to time.

i have a smaller suv & a full trailer is just not an option... do more damage to the little tow vehicle & trans than its worth.

i just bought some new m/t drag radials & 75 miles each way will shorten their life too much for how expensive they are. $200+ each!

i do like the idea that when loaded on a dolly the fluid will be at the rear of teh trans & may help prevent any wear related to no fluid. ive towed many auto cars for 2-3 hours & more & never had a problem that was noticeable, but im sure it accelerated the wear in some way. & rear wheels loaded may work too, dolly has a pivoting platform so that may be an option too.

or i could just drive it there on street tires & swap them at the track, but then i have to find a safe place for the street tires & jack while i race.... hmmm. i will have to decide which way is best. i could also just drive it there on street tires & follow my suv & dolly with another driver, then keep all the tools & tires locked while i race... & have a tow option hoome if something breaks. that may be the best way since the fuel will be about the same vs driving the car or towing it.

thanks again
I drive 200 miles roundtrip to my dragstrip my Mickeys lasted 5 years...you will wear them more on one pass at the track then the drive!

Old 09-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

really? good to know. thats about the same distance for me... how many times do you go to the track in that 5 years??

Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Many guys that race a street car put a trailer hitch on the rear and tow a real small trailer behind to carry race tires and tools. Just a suggestion, however if you do break no way home for the car or trailer..........................

It does give you a place to put your stuff while racing and with a armored cable you can lock your street tires and tool box to the trailer. The link below is a Boxter hauling a tire trailer to race events. Tow dolly could be re-purposed to a trailer to haul your supplies.
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/trailer/

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-17-2014, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

good idea, but not adding a trailer hitch to my bird.

Old 09-17-2014, 04:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like your best option (which is why I suggested it earlier) is to just put on the drag radials and drive the car up there, race it, have fun, and drive it home without all the fuss.

Like TA Man mentioned, you'll put more wear on the tires on your first pass than you will putting 2-300 street miles on them, or even 1,000 street miles. I run them 100% of the time as well, to and from track, cruises, car shows etc... If you only go to the track once or twice a year (I suspect that's the case) You'll get 5-7 years out of those tires easily, matter of fact at that rate they'll be outdated past their usefull service before you wear them out.

May as well get your moneys worth out of them before they get too old.

Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
really? good to know. thats about the same distance for me... how many times do you go to the track in that 5 years??
15 times plus another track once or twice a year 90 miles round trip.