THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-03-2014, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
This what happens when you overpopulate in what is essentially a DESERT.
You couldn't be more wrong

Thomas Jefferson
The Following User Says Thank You to thadeal4real For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thadeal4real View Post
You couldn't be more wrong
REALLY? In what way is S. California NOT a DESERT?

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

California's Central Valley provides a huge amount of produce for the country...up to 75% of it. It provides over 90% of the almonds and pecans. Legislation from the current government has been dumping water out to sea to preserve a non native species of smelt, to appease the environmentalists. There has been a water shortage here for several years due to this. Farmland in the west valley has been destroyed/dried up for the past 4 years, thanks to Feinstein, Boxer, and Costa. It's complicated. Southern Ca is basically a desert, but has been irrigated for well over 100 years, with the drying up of Owens Lake, the building of the aqueduct in 1913, etc. Bottom line is, this is everybody's problem, and lack of rain here and no snowpack is looking very grim indeed. So, it's easy to say that we are a desert and will get what we deserve, but the entire country will suffer with lack of produce/food and steep price hikes on what little is available. Food for thought!

Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the last 20 years I would drive from my in-laws in AZ to my daughter in Napa Ca. I would take I 5 or 99 through the San Joaquin Valley and admire the nut and orange orchards and other fertile fields. Two years ago I very disappointed to see the dried up orchards because the environmentalists wanted it to go back to desert. What a shame.

The Following User Says Thank You to arbys For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
California's Central Valley provides a huge amount of produce for the country...up to 75% of it. It provides over 90% of the almonds and pecans. Legislation from the current government has been dumping water out to sea to preserve a non native species of smelt, to appease the environmentalists. There has been a water shortage here for several years due to this. Farmland in the west valley has been destroyed/dried up for the past 4 years, thanks to Feinstein, Boxer, and Costa. It's complicated. Southern Ca is basically a desert, but has been irrigated for well over 100 years, with the drying up of Owens Lake, the building of the aqueduct in 1913, etc. Bottom line is, this is everybody's problem, and lack of rain here and no snowpack is looking very grim indeed. So, it's easy to say that we are a desert and will get what we deserve, but the entire country will suffer with lack of produce/food and steep price hikes on what little is available. Food for thought!
Nailed it!

Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
If that doesn't put the populous against the environmentalists nothing will. Well said.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:16 PM
Senior Chief

if you go back in time before there was even a damn in this state it was vastly marshlands just ask the Indians

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-04-2014, 06:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I also think that we need to turn NYC and Boston into the bogs that were when the foreigners first came to America.

I guess nobody's going that route.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
if you go back in time before there was even a damn in this state it was vastly marshlands just ask the Indians
NOT in S. California. The Spanish missionaries of the 1700s reported the area to be a "wasteland with little water or vegetation." Not exactly "vastly marshlands"

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-04-2014, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
I also think that we need to turn NYC and Boston into the bogs that were when the foreigners first came to America.

I guess nobody's going that route.
Nah, Ross, nuclear waste dumps.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 02-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Suspended

Question Weather Channel has been watching your posts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS circutguy View Post

While just grabbing a cup of Hot Chocolate in the kitchen, our under cabinet TV had this exact image on the Weather Channel...

Old 02-05-2014, 10:53 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
While just grabbing a cup of Hot Chocolate in the kitchen, our under cabinet TV had this exact image on the Weather Channel...
Alvin: Yes, that looks grim. BUT-everything to the west of the peaks of the Sierras runs downhill to California (roughly along the CA-Nevada line) and you will notice not a dramatic bit of difference to the west in those two pics.

Like I said, I've heard panicky voices 3-4 times in the 30 years I've lived here....and then it starts raining.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Dillon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:59 PM
Suspended

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
Alvin: Yes, that looks grim. BUT-everything to the west of the peaks of the Sierras runs downhill to California (roughly along the CA-Nevada line) and you will notice not a dramatic bit of difference to the west in those two pics.

Like I said, I've heard panicky voices 3-4 times in the 30 years I've lived here....and then it starts raining.
Agreed. Most often have that set on muted in the background for continuous radar, temp and local alerts instead of "APP" alerts.

Most certainly NBC has it wound up to another "It could happen tomorrow!" Scare tactic...hope it works out for the Sierra melt to head to the "salad bowls"

Old 02-06-2014, 03:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The delta area was a marshland prior to building the levees. Most of the central valley had massive flooding pretty much every spring until the dams and reservoirs were created.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 02-06-2014, 10:47 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

It's pouring today.

Old 02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Were any of these reservoirs/lakes known for fishing, specifically: large mouth bass?

They used to say the next world record would be from CA and think the only few over 20lbs, one was from Southern, CA...?...back in my fresh water fishing days.

Good time to GPS map some honey holes in the dirt bowls.

Old 02-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
It's pouring today.
Same here... WE NEED IT!!!

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 02-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news...07feb_drought/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5HwRXsw2Q8

Old 02-07-2014, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up

Still pouring!

Old 02-09-2014, 01:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.mercurynews.com/science/c...y-around-state
Interesting data here.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk