THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-26-2014, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Home field advantage for which team?

Old 01-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Slick field, offense--just cold, defense. Read into it what you wish.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebo View Post
well id just like them to have the super bowl saturday night instead of sunday night, to give people time to recover and not have to get up monday for work..ugh...
For a lot of reason it really would make more sense to have it on Saturday night, especially now that they take two weeks between.

It'd also make Sunday a huge sports reporting day covering it after the fact. By Monday who gives a rip.

Old 01-27-2014, 04:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

i still think that it should be held in a southern stadium or at least a domed one. but even when they decide to hold it in a northern state, you could get a blizzard, or biting cold like we are having now. happened back in 1982 when they had the super bowl at the silverdome here in pontiac mi---people had to walk like a mile after parking and got frostbite and stuck on the bad roads. that and the fact that i disagree with players playing in the cold--great way to get really injured. and they should hold it on a saturday night so people have time to travel and/or recover on sunday. there is no college ball in feb. to compete with, and it would make a whole lot more sense.

Old 01-27-2014, 05:09 PM
Suspended

Wink

Man up Nancys!

Super Bowl forecast: high of 36

NEW YORK -- With less than a week to go before the Super Bowl, the forecast is starting to shape up.

AccuWeather now predicts a high of 36 degrees for Sunday with possible snow showers. There is a possibility that it will be a milder day and that precipitation turns to rain, but it doesn't look as though a Super Bowl blizzard will materialize.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell comments on contingency plans for the Super Bowl, how full-time officials would affect the game, the league's plans for international expansion, adding playoff teams and more.

Jeff Smith, a meteorologist at WABC-TV, said that seven days out is about the first glimpse at an accurate forecast, but it's only an estimate until 96 hours (four days) before.

"We're pretty confident that temperatures will be close to normal, the 30s, by the time the weekend rolls around," Smith said.

If this forecast bears out, after all the drama, the NFL will arrive at a Super Bowl Sunday in New Jersey that feels like an average winter day.

Like a lot of fans, Broncos coach John Fox isn't sweating the cold.

"I think in order to be a championship football team we've got to be weatherproof," Fox said, "and I think our football team played in all different elements this year. I feel comfortable with where we're at as far as the elements, but it's a part of the game. I think traditionwise, it's been a part of the league and a part of a lot of championships."

The first outdoor Super Bowl in a cold-weather climate should be the coldest weather ever for the 6:30 p.m. kickoff, with the record being 39 degrees set at Tulane Stadium in New Orleans on Jan. 16, 1972.

Fans in the area may be starting to get forecast fatigue, with all the speculation about the weather piled on top of an already snowy and cold winter. But weather is inextricably part of this historic game.

In the unlikely event that a lot more snow, ice or extreme cold gets added to the forecast, the NFL would need 72 hours' notice to move the game to Saturday or Monday, which is the backup plan. The league could also move the time of the game and would need to decide 48 hours ahead to prepare.

In the meantime, Tuesday and Wednesday will be extremely cold, but by the time fans have to climb into their seats at MetLife Stadium, it shouldn't be unbearable. The NFL has created welcome bags for each ticket holder that include a seat cushion, texting gloves and a neck gaiter, among other warming items.

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nfl/s...mal-conditions

Old 01-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Man up Nancys!
Have you ever played football in the snow?

I have and it sucks.

Takes the skill out of the game. It might be fun for the fans (watching at home on their 60" TV), but for everyone else it sucks.

Back in the day, they canceled football games because of rain and the season ended in November.

Super Bowl belongs in a warm weather site or in a climate controlled stadium. Host city needs to be one that has the proper airports, hotels, restaurants, transportation systems and highway crews that can handle the huge influx of people.

It's not just the people going to the game - it's the media circus that comes along for the ride.

The Following User Says Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
For a lot of reason it really would make more sense to have it on Saturday night, especially now that they take two weeks between.

It'd also make Sunday a huge sports reporting day covering it after the fact. By Monday who gives a rip.
I heard one time the reason they won't move it to Saturday is they want to hold the people in the hosting city for another day. The extra day is probably worth millions to the hosting city. As always just follow the money when looking for answers on why things are done in sports.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being there both western teams, wonder which side the East Coast Mafia Referees are backing. I was watching the NFL Network and ESPN. Sounds like the Media is all in for the Sea Slugs.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I played college football, here in Canada. September to November.

It sucks. I hated playing in the snow. Cold, I dont care. Snow, it sucks. Superbowl should be played in warm weather, period. For both the fans and the players.

Do you guys remember that game in Philly on week 14? It was painfull to watch. And boring.

They had guys with leaf blowers clearing the lines. COME ON MAN!!!

Who likes that?

Old 01-28-2014, 05:36 PM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
News has been "suggesting" that next weeks Super Bowl Game could be "moved" to Saturday or Monday due to the weather. What?

I remember playing football w the neighborhood kids during blizzard snows, in the freezing sleeting ice storms, etc. because we were a bunch of kids crazy about the game of football.
"And we liked it!" http://youtu.be/BbU4Cb4A4-o

Old 01-28-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"And we liked it!" http://youtu.be/BbU4Cb4A4-o
You were "playing". You could quit "playing" anytime you wanted to. You weren't even really playing football - just "playing". You didn't have 60 - 100,000 people paying to watch you "play".

I actually played organized hockey outdoors in weather as cold as -25 below without the windchill. Hockey is and was meant to be played on ice.

I also skied competitively (cross country/Nordic skiing) for 4 years. I was on skis 7 days a week from November through February regardless of the weather. I raced or trained in whatever the weather man gave us - and I did this up in Northern MN (Duluth, MN was 75 miles south for me). Skiing, by it's very nature, is done on snow.

As I posted earlier - I have also played football in the snow. As I stated earlier - playing in the snow sucks. Football was intended to be played on a dry grassy field.

Football was originally played in the fall. The seasons were over in November. Heck, they used to cancel football games for rain back in the day.

This game has huge financial implications for the teams and players. Not to mention all the money wagered on the game.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:02 AM
Suspended

Old 01-29-2014, 01:38 AM

JUST A QUICK NOTE, ITS SNOWING AGAIN AND 18 DEGREES WEDNESDAY JAN. 29 2014 AT 0040 HOURS.
A MILE FROM STADIUM. JUST SAYING

The Following User Says Thank You to 7t8ta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 01:58 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up That's what I'm talking about!

"Why An Outdoor, Cold-Weather Super Bowl Is A Great Idea"

"This Sunday the Denver Broncos will play the Seattle Seahawks in the first-ever outdoor, cold-weather Super Bowl, at MetLife MET +1.45% Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey.

The forecast, for now anyway, calls for temperatures in the mid-30s on February 2nd. It may even rain and snow.

Many people feel that very idea of playing a cold-weather Super Bowl is a catastrophe.
The quarterback, Joe Flacco, who led the Baltimore Ravens to a Super Bowl win in last year’s game (and picked up the MVP trophy along the way), said that playing the big game outdoors in a cold-weather city was “stupid.” Terry Bradshaw, the former Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback and four-time Super Bowl champion, said: “I don’t think you should be putting Super Bowls in northern cities in the winter time,” arguing that cold weather gives an advantage to teams with strong running games. Perhaps this is just two quarterbacks looking out for their ilk, always seeking ideal passing conditions. But it’s worth noting that Bradshaw spent his career playing in an outdoor stadium in a cold-weather city, and that Flacco does the same now.

Jeff Pearlman, writing for Sports Illustrated’s website, argued that hosting the game at MetLife Stadium was a bad idea because it might be…cold. SI’s Peter King says he’s worried about the fans. Football coaching great, Don Shula, says the big game should stick to warm-weather locales because “you don’t want the weather to influence a game that much.”

I think they’re all wrong.

First off, there is the clichéd argument that you hear from pro-outdoor, cold-weather city proponents like me: This is football, a game we celebrate in large part because of its manly-man attributes, part of which means playing the game in pretty much any weather conditions, save for lightning. That this argument has become a cliché does not detract from its basic truth.

Of course, the players and coaches are not the only participants in the football game. There will be fans there, as Peter King has pointed out. But, really, if we fans can’t bundle up properly and sit through THE SUPER BOWL then, really, we shouldn’t be going in the first place.
It may be a made-for-TV publicity stunt, but NFL commissioner, Roger Goodell, says he will be sitting outside during the game.

Which brings up another point, one that may seem callous but is nonetheless true: The Super Bowl, and really the entire NFL, is all about TV. The weather means very little to the folks that matter to the $9 billion-plus league (revenues)—the advertisers, who are paying a reported $4 million for a 30-second ad during this year’s game. The reason these brands will fork over that amount of dough is that folks at home will tune into the game even if the wind chill is -3 degrees. And they will watch those ads.

Cold weather—really, any out-of-the-ordinary weather, save for fog—has made for some of the most memorable games in the history of the sport. The Ice Bowl (1967 NFL Championship game), the Tuck-Rule game (2001 AFC Divisional playoffs) and the snowy games that took place during Week 14 of this year (highlighted by the Detroit Lions-Philadelphia Eagles white-out game). During this season’s Wild Card Playoff round, much was made over the excitement of the Indianapolis Colts epic comeback against the Kansas City Chiefs. It was a fun game, but it was played in the sanitized atmosphere of a dome. The more memorable game from that weekend, to me anyway, was the San Francisco 49ers win over the Green Bay Packers in Green Bay, which was played outside in 5-degree weather that “felt” like -14 degree weather. Cold-weather games are ready-made for NFL Films, the vapor-wreaths from the breaths of the lineman, the wind-burned coaches on the sidelines…just insert a “Voice of God” and the dramatic music, and it’s a wrap.

Super Bowls have been played in less-than-ideal weather before. It was 38 degrees in New Orleans for Super Bowl VI. Super Bowl XXIII in Miami had some mud problems but was considered, at the time, as perhaps the greatest Super Bowl ever. (Joe Montana threw a last-minute touchdown to the lead the 49ers to a 20-16 win over the Cincinnati Bengals.) Super Bowl XLI—Peyton Manning’s lone title to date—was played in the rain in Miami. As always in a football game, both teams face the same conditions. The playing field is level.

The NFL, it’s often said, is our national religion, with the Super Bowl celebrated as an unofficial secular holiday. What makes the game so intriguing, to a large degree, is its unpredictability, where coaches and players (and gamblers, for that matter) spend their careers “trying to control the uncontrollable,” as Nicholas Dawidoff wrote in his excellent football book, “Collision Low Crossers.”

Weather, too, is a national obsession for almost the exact same reason: We have no control over it.

This year’s Super Bowl brings these two abiding passions together."
http://www.forbes.com/sites/montebur...-a-great-idea/

Old 01-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

"Which brings up another point, one that may seem callous but is nonetheless true: The Super Bowl, and really the entire NFL, is all about TV. The weather means very little to the folks that matter to the $9 billion-plus league (revenues)—the advertisers, who are paying a reported $4 million for a 30-second ad during this year’s game. The reason these brands will fork over that amount of dough is that folks at home will tune into the game even if the wind chill is -3 degrees. And they will watch those ads."

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:

"Which brings up another point, one that may seem callous but is nonetheless true: The Super Bowl, and really the entire NFL, is all about TV. The weather means very little to the folks that matter to the $9 billion-plus league (revenues)—the advertisers, who are paying a reported $4 million for a 30-second ad during this year’s game. The reason these brands will fork over that amount of dough is that folks at home will tune into the game even if the wind chill is -3 degrees. And they will watch those ads."
Agree 100%.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigergto For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"Why An Outdoor, Cold-Weather Super Bowl Is A Great Idea"
So that "manly men" like Alvin can sit at home and watch it on TV....

Didn't you move to Texas because you didn't like the snow and cold? At least that's the impresssion you've given me about your move to Texas.

I want to watch a good football game. You want to watch a show.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:54 AM
Suspended

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
So that "manly men" like Alvin can sit at home and watch it on TV....

Didn't you move to Texas because you didn't like the snow and cold? At least that's the impresssion you've given me about your move to Texas.

I want to watch a good football game. You want to watch a show.
Champ: you certainly are entitled to YOUR opinions, as am I. Try not to take all of this so personal and so seriously... "It's JUST a game" and "Just a TV show" so kindly try to refrain from escalating w "Grumpy Old Man Syndrome" that turns personal. We get it; as you've posted numerous times - you hate TX, FL, CA, etc. So be it.

As I previously posted:

Quote:

"Which brings up another point, one that may seem callous but is nonetheless true: The Super Bowl, and really the entire NFL, is all about TV.
The weather means very little to the folks that matter to the $9 billion-plus league (revenues)—the advertisers, who are paying a reported $4 million for a 30-second ad during this year’s game. The reason these brands will fork over that amount of dough is that folks at home will tune into the game even if the wind chill is -3 degrees. And they will watch those ads."

Old 01-29-2014, 09:01 AM
Suspended

Wink

BTT - This morning's ABC news stating 17,000 unsold Super Bowl Tickets now discounted 40%...same which news was hyping weeks ago "blocking of local purchasers" etc. "Better get them now" etc.

Also; large numbers of hotel rooms also announced as now available that previously were "blocked out" dur to "non-sellout" of game so far.

Let's see how this is reported and pans out. Still should be massive amounts of $$$s being made locally and nationally.

Old 01-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Champ: you certainly are entitled to YOUR opinions, as am I. Try not to take all of this so personal and so seriously... "It's JUST a game" and "Just a TV show" so kindly try to refrain from escalating w "Grumpy Old Man Syndrome" that turns personal. We get it; as you've posted numerous times - you hate TX, FL, CA, etc. So be it.
I didn't bring up the "manly man" issue - you did.

Quote:
BTT - This morning's ABC news stating 17,000 unsold Super Bowl Tickets now discounted 40%...same which news was hyping weeks ago "blocking of local purchasers" etc. "Better get them now" etc.

Also; large numbers of hotel rooms also announced as now available that previously were "blocked out" dur to "non-sellout" of game so far.

Let's see how this is reported and pans out. Still should be massive amounts of $$$s being made locally and nationally.
If they can't sell out the SB in NY, it's over for any future outdoor cold weather Super Bowls.

As it should be.