Old 12-15-2013, 04:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Paul, the walnut wood venier is correct for 66. Vinyl is like what the wife would use to cover cabinet shelves.

The vinyl for the 67's dash would be a heavier duty vinyl, and there's be no backing for it. The only problem would be not having or getting the airbubbles out from behind it when it's applied.
The viynl also has a different grain look to it they used it on 67 dash and console .

Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default finish

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966geeto View Post
Very minor I used 400-600 grit sandpaper and had a few edges that needed more clearance just took my time then stained with special walnut 3 coats of poly steel wool in between last coat steel wool then minwax to finish ..
my new insert(wood/aluminum) just arrived and it seems to have a dull finish could I do the same method with the polyurethane to improve the appearance. Or will it cause problems.

Thanks

Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy381 View Post
my new insert(wood/aluminum) just arrived and it seems to have a dull finish could I do the same method with the polyurethane to improve the appearance. Or will it cause problems.

Thanks
Did you get the stained or unstained one they do not come with a finish coat I got the stained one but did not like the color so I restained it a couple of shades darker then poly and wax to finish it off. If you like the color then just finish coat it I used the spray poly 1 coat let dry 24 hrs fine steel wool 2n and 3rd coats same then wax it with a couple coats to protect it will come out beautiful and last forever. You could also use tonge oil but I prefer poly.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks for the reply 66

I got the stained one also. It does seem to light and plain and does not show the woodgrain to my liking.What color stain did you restain it with.

Old 12-26-2013, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Roy, use the Special Walnut. That's probably as close as you can get to the original stain Pontiac used.

Instead of using a black marker around the edges of the dash pods and outside, you could also use SEM Trim Black.... sparingly tho so you get good adhesion. Spray some in a cup and use a modeler's brush to put it on.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Roy, use the Special Walnut. That's probably as close as you can get to the original stain Pontiac used.

Instead of using a black marker around the edges of the dash pods and outside, you could also use SEM Trim Black.... sparingly tho so you get good adhesion. Spray some in a cup and use a modeler's brush to put it on.
Good idea

Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy381 View Post
Thanks for the reply 66

I got the stained one also. It does seem to light and plain and does not show the woodgrain to my liking.What color stain did you restain it with.

Special Walnut

Old 08-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I know this thread is old.

BUT.....Got the veneer from The Parts Place. On a quick test, it seems to fit pretty good. Its unstained.

The Poly that several people mentioned before - what finish poly did you use? Ive seen Satin and Semi Gloss. Im thinking its not the semi but I just want to make sure. The spray seems to be VERY expensive at $30/can. Is that right?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe satin is best, but it will have a little bit of a semi gloss to it. Not much tho. If you wax it with Pledge it will shine a bit more, but the Pledge will preserve the finish.

I use Satin Polyurethane on my real wood steering wheel and it came out perfect.

If you don't like the Satin finish, just lightly sand it and redo it with Semi Gloss

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.