Old 10-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WOW!!!!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-29-2013, 09:00 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed View Post
has anyone else seen this "RARE POLISHED BEAM WITH ARROW" design other then on the net?
http://webpages.charter.net/jnovelli/hursthistory.htm

I almost did not buy these as I thought they were hand designed by a previous owner.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ya got me, P. Thankfully, I had the sense to hold onto the 4 speed, tripower, Blue Charcoal '65 GTO I bought in '82 for $1200!! I have never regretted that decision.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have had a few single wheels that were polished like that. More often than not, most of the ones I had were fully polished on the face. I also have had a few that had the sides of the spokes painted to match the car. I don't think too many people did that, but there is a mention of it in the Hurst literature.
I got lucky and picked up a set of the 3 bar spinners back in the 90's, but never did put them on my car. These are the spinners that are straight, and not the curved ones that were never released to the public.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
has anyone else seen this "RARE POLISHED BEAM WITH ARROW" design other then on the net?
http://webpages.charter.net/jnovelli/hursthistory.htm

I almost did not buy these as I thought they were hand designed by a previous owner.
Yes, I had a set like you mention, factoy sand blasted "arrow" in the center of the spoke face. As for colored side walls of the spokes themselves, this ws an option as Andre mentioned and when HURST was trying to touch other markets to promote their wheels they offered Sears the wheels in a full painted spoke section, no polished area at all. I have seen them in black and or dark blue and here is a freak that I owned once, it was a single wheel (5 on 4 3/4) that was 100 % factory original and it had no "ribs" that run along the spoke faces as we know them to have. It looked very similar to a Crager SS wheel. It was as if the wheel was put in a lathe and the spoke face was re-surfaced so there was no ribs or contour to it at all. I have owned probably well over 50 original HURST wheels and have seen some unique combinations but that one was so different than any other. Dennis Kirban probably knows more about these wheels than anybody, perhaps he will chime in and share some of his findings.

Tim john---

Old 10-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Senior Chief

started to clean up the Hurst wheels
they are numbered in order
each wheel also has a ink marker with each wheel number on the back ... picture attached

Old 10-30-2013, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful wheels, congratulations! It's rare to see a set of four that are finished in that style and numbered consecutively. It's even rarer to see untouched examples where the details are so crisp. Most original Hurst wheels I see on cars have edges that are rounded somewhat due to sanding and polishing.

Old 10-30-2013, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree, Gator. They look like new, basically. I like the tires, too!! Ram Air, regardless of what you paid, had you not purchased these wheels, you never would have forgiven yourself. Well done!! (and yes, I am green with envy....over your wheels and your car!)

Old 10-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis Kirban could tell you how rare this set is or isn't. Tho I'm willing to bet it's pretty rare. I'd even say they're worth more than 4500.00. Most excellent find and aquisition..... you lucky chit.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, i'd have a hard time drive'n the car with those for fear of damage.
So, did you get'm at a good price?

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Region Warrior View Post
Wow, i'd have a hard time drive'n the car with those for fear of damage.
So, did you get'm at a good price?
I got them for a great price.
there again, its only money

Old 10-30-2013, 04:18 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Dennis Kirban could tell you how rare this set is or isn't. Tho I'm willing to bet it's pretty rare. I'd even say they're worth more than 4500.00. Most excellent find and aquisition..... you lucky chit.

********* PAGING DENNIS KIRBAN, PAGING DENNIS KIRBAN ********

Old 10-30-2013, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
********* PAGING DENNIS KIRBAN, PAGING DENNIS KIRBAN ********
Here ya go.... just send him an email with photos. denniskirban@yahoo.com

I'm sure Dennis will tell you what you have.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just hit me: the 'arrow' pattern in the spokes resembles a Pontiac crest! How cool is that?

Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 AM
Senior Chief

Anybody have a single wheel for sale?
I need it as a spare. Thanks.

1970 GTO Judge, PHS Doc. 4sp, #'s match, Ram Air III
2006 GTO Spice Red. M6,18" wheels, 400 HP LS2

richmondcountypontiac.com

Need High Quality Printing fast and reasonable?
www.farbetterprinting.com

Since 1974
Quotes at: sales@farbetterprinting.com
Old 10-31-2013, 08:20 AM

Default Hurst Wheels

RA11 Did you find these at Stafford CT. last week?. There was a guy there with the same wheels and tires.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:08 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GTOSplus View Post
RA11 Did you find these at Stafford CT. last week?. There was a guy there with the same wheels and tires.
I did not buy them there, although they are the same wheels The guy selling them was at Amhurst NH and he is a friend of mine. He told me he was selling them and I bought them from him.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:58 PM
Senior Chief

I did e-mail Dennis Kirban and asked him on how rare the design was on my wheels He stated ....... "no way of knowing according to Bill Campbell less than 1,000 sets were ever sold rest got destroyed project was a flop no one tracked various designs to know hwo many they made back inthe mid 1960s...He also stated...."Wheels look nice and are original I started gto business around 1978 back inthe day I sold 23 sets of Hurst wheels...

those are very unique wheels ..... only came in 14 by 6 size and in several bolt patterns I wrote a book on them and I sell a reproduction of the hurst wheel press kit info both of which would give you a lot of insight...

also if you belong the gto club the legend monthly publication I write for them on Hurst.
If what you got is the 4 3/4 bolt pattern you got a nice set to work with....decals have been reproduced the gold porton of them fades to green over time.".......Research also tells me that there are no known sets of this design on any archive pictures.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BTW, if you don't want to trust your trim rings to 40 year old clips, I sell them in sets of 20. Brand new. One of the sets that Kirban sold back in the 80's was purchased by a friend of mine. I got them from him in '95 and restored them for my '66. At one time I had 6 or 7 sets, with one set being 4.5" bolt pattern, and one being 5" bolt pattern. I sensed the market dropping on these and got rid of all but 2 sets. The ones on my car and the 5" bolt pattern. I also have a set of the spinners. I'll try and take a picture of those tonight. I never did own any gold anodized ones, which would be perfect for my car, but I did see gold anodized and blue anodized on ebay. Both were in horrible condition.

Last edited by Andre; 10-31-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-31-2013, 01:25 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
BTW, if you don't want to trust your trim rings to 40 year old clips, I sell them in sets of 20. Brand new.
Hello Andre..... I actually have to change one trim ring as it has some damage to it But the seller gave me another wheel with a perfect trim ring on it...... I have tried to take it off to replace it but I am not sure how the clips actually work I do see them on the back of the wheels that have a small hole on the ring that they clip to...... It also seems I will have to soak the trim ring with penatrating spray in order to remove it...........any ideas?
Thanks
John