Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you lawn has any steep slopes the zero turn will require a lot of getting used to. They are great for mowing around trees ect.

Since no one mentioned Craftsman, I will. Have the 50 inch hydrastat with the Kohler V-twin engine. The engine is great and is the only positive thing I can say about that GT mower. The lift arms and deck is flimsey, the blade housings have no way to lube the bearings. The bearings aren't serviceable since the pulley is welded to one end of the shaft and the blade flange to the other.\

The old Craftsman garden tractor with a 48" mower deck is twice the machine even though the opposed twin B&S engine sounds like an eggbeater in a bucket of bolts.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:06 PM
Senior Chief

you cant go wrong with a real john deere garden tractor from a dealer. built much better than the box store ones. i have a 325 that i bought in 1999. just one bely last year & 1 battery in 2010. you have to do your maintenance .

Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Buy a used Dixie chopper 60" or bigger. In a residential setting (once a week) it will last forever.

Don't buy a box store version of any zero turn mower, they are spec built to a lower quality.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My Sears Craftsman had a superb Kohler engine ( only good thing about it): That enigne fit nicely in the Simplicity sit-down mower.

The big work gets done by a John Deere "COMM-MOW" 52" ..loud but effective.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

When I cut my 3 acre property I used a Kubota L3130 with a 6' finish mower. Fairlty slow but gets the job done.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a JD X595 24 hp diesel w/ 62" deck 4wd tractor in 2003 and I've never once regretted it. I also bought the 2 stage snow blower, the front end loader and a JRCO cart for the power-flow collection system. Not the least expensive route...but it makes doing just about EVERY unenjoyable lawn chore...pleasant. I used to spend an hour w/ a walk behind snow blower every time it snowed more than an inch. Now it only takes me 8 minutes to clean the driveway. The diesel is VERY forgiving on fuel consumption and thie X595 is built like a tank. Plastic body parts....but everything else is built to last a lifetime. I worked locally for a John Deere dealership as a mechanic for 7 years and of all the tractors I worked on in that time frame, the early 400 series and 500 series (now the 700 series) were by FAR the least problematic. In fact...I have never had to open the hydristat unit on either a 400 or a 500 series tractor. An early 322 tractor is a great little tractor, built to last a lifetime as well.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:46 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
My Sears Craftsman had a superb Kohler engine ( only good thing about it): That enigne fit nicely in the Simplicity sit-down mower.

The big work gets done by a John Deere "COMM-MOW" 52" ..loud but effective.
That's funny I had a Craftsman tractor so I also understand

Gregg

Old 07-15-2013, 01:32 AM

Default Exmark

I have a Crafttsman GT5000 with a 23HP Kohler, engine is fantastic. However every time I use something else breaks. I had to put new spindles on every other year. Last time I got a used Exmark TurfTracer HP with a sulky. This thing mows. Real spindles with bearings that can be lubed, a 19 hp Kawasaki, and a deck that is 1/4 steel.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Bad Boy Mowers own a huge share of the commercial market here. They're also made in the USA unlike the chinese junk.

www.badboymowers.com
Thanks for all the responses I'm back from vacation and ready to look, there is a badboy dealer close to my home and will start there looks like a nice unit, now here is one more problem, cut grass with the L120 plow snow with a quad 700 feet driveway and garden with a Farmall Cub these all take up a lot of space, maybe I should get something that doe's it all ?

Gregg

Old 07-28-2013, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

IF you go with a commercial ZTR look at how fast you really can mow.
I had a JD Z trak 777 60"and it was just too damn fast to appreciate
so I sold it and went back to my JD Z trak 757.
If you do want big and fast I have a JD 797 with 72" deck that Im replacing motor on
and will be for sale.
The larger units have gone to watercooled 2 cyl,which helps for longevity
wondering if they make a snow blower attachment for ZTRs
The only thing Ive found on the JD ZTRs thats foreign made is the Japanese hydro pump

Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 AM

When I was faced with the need for a lawn and garden tractor a few years ago, a relative who is a very serious lawn and garden tractor aficionado told me that the John Deere 318 (80s - mid 90s vintage) is the best lawn and garden tractor ever made. Around here they are also pretty easy to find.

I run a 50'' mower deck with it and a 48'' two-stage snowblower (I see you are in MI - might be a consideration) and it is great. Eats through 2' of snow. I have also done quite a bit of tilling with it. Never lets me down.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a John Deere X300 with 42" deck for my 1.25 acre lot. I get the lawn done in 1 hour 10 minutes.

If you buy a John Deere, it'll cost more initially, but maintenance is practically zero (other than oil changes and blade sharpening). When it comes time to replace your mower, John Deere mowers are very easy to sell at premium prices compared to other brands that you will practically give away after 5 years usage.

I bought a '89 John Deere in '97 for $800, used it for five years and sold it for $850. Can't beat John Deere's resale value.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-04-2013, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post
Thanks for all the responses I'm back from vacation and ready to look, there is a badboy dealer close to my home and will start there looks like a nice unit, now here is one more problem, cut grass with the L120 plow snow with a quad 700 feet driveway and garden with a Farmall Cub these all take up a lot of space, maybe I should get something that doe's it all ?

Gregg
You've got a Cub? Man - I'd put a Woods belly mower on that bad boy and cut some grass!

You can get a snow blade for the front as well, and use it in the wintertime. It will definitely do it all.

I had an "A" (I really wanted a Cub but the A was a little cheaper). One of the best purchases I've ever made in my life.

Currently mowing with a Cub Lo boy - also one of the best purchases I've ever made.

You can't tear up a vintage tractor. Plus, there's the "cool" factor. I've had people stop in the road just to watch me mow.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 08-04-2013 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 1992 G2000 4Wheel Steer Kubota with a 60" deck. Close to a ZTR... but not quite.

I drove Ol Goat 67's 54" ZTR Big Dog and I really like it. It's a really rugged machine. If I ever go with a ZTR mower it's the machine I'd buy.

Remember..... if you go with a ZTR, you'll take a while to get used to it. I know.... it looked like a snake mowed Charles' [OG 67] lawn when I got off it. LOL You should see him and his wife go at it. Looks like the "Lawn Mower's Derby" they go so fast. LOL I'd say he has just a tad over 2 acres to mow ( that's counting what he mows across the street from his house), and they do it all in about 90 minutes. Big Dog gets my vote.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-04-2013, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post

You can't tear up a vintage tractor. Plus, there's the "cool" factor. I've had people stop in the road just to watch me mow.

K
Niiiiiiiiiiiiice.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Craftsman and Kioti

I use a 9000 series lawn tractor around the house. It is 42" with 24 hp. I love the joy stick. It goes faster as you push the stick forward. Lots more fun than toe/heel peddle.

Then I use a CK27 Kioti with a 5' bush hog for the 8-10 acres which surrounds the horse lot, that used to be a hayfield. It's a diesel that hardly uses any fuel at all, it seems.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6274.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	158.0 KB
ID:	332123   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2083.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	332127  

Old 08-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
I use a 9000 series lawn tractor around the house. It is 42" with 24 hp. I love the joy stick. It goes faster as you push the stick forward. Lots more fun than toe/heel peddle.

Then I use a CK27 Kioti with a 5' bush hog for the 8-10 acres which surrounds the horse lot, that used to be a hayfield. It's a diesel that hardly uses any fuel at all, it seems.
Appaloosa My favorite horse, had 2 April Moon foundation stock and daughter Whiskey.

Gregg

Old 08-05-2013, 11:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Note from TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephyrracer View Post
Appaloosa My favorite horse, had 2 April Moon foundation stock and daughter Whiskey.

Gregg
Hey, Gregg. I love those appies too! My Pokey comes from lines of Prince Plaudit, Joker B, Bright Eyes Brother, Mighty Bright, Colida, PALE MOON B., (maybe kin?) Starbuck Leopard, Red Eagle, Simcoes' Sarcee.

Pontiacs and Appaloosas forever!

Old 08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
Hey, Gregg. I love those appies too! My Pokey comes from lines of Prince Plaudit, Joker B, Bright Eyes Brother, Mighty Bright, Colida, PALE MOON B., (maybe kin?) Starbuck Leopard, Red Eagle, Simcoes' Sarcee.

Pontiacs and Appaloosas forever!
Kin indeed my Appaloosa Whiskey starts from Manawar, Ginger War Lady, Hollywood Plaudit, Hollywood Jaguar, my mare then Whiskey at 3 yrs old she stood 16.3 champions all.

Gregg

Old 08-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
You've got a Cub? Man - I'd put a Woods belly mower on that bad boy and cut some grass!

You can get a snow blade for the front as well, and use it in the wintertime. It will definitely do it all.

I had an "A" (I really wanted a Cub but the A was a little cheaper). One of the best purchases I've ever made in my life.

Currently mowing with a Cub Lo boy - also one of the best purchases I've ever made.

K
Keith: How does the Lowboy handle the thick grass? That thing looks awesome. I saw a twin to it today being trailered on the I. Thanks-Dan