Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM
Senior Chief

Funny... I saw the hoses (steel braided) and thought the same thing. I remember putting those on my 68 chevelle SS back in 1996 or so

I noticed the missing wipers as well. He has a box of stuff that I'll rummage though.
Also take a look at the hood alignment in the pics. It appears to not be level with the fender on the pass side rear (near windshield)
Could be the photo though.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, it may have 15 year old hoses on it.
Contact me if the hood fit is a problem. I may be able to walk you through aligning it.

Old 04-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Senior Chief

rgr
Thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

first looked and said to self a steal at $12k
then I read further at $18k asking
so somewhere between is good
I ll bet it would look real nice in the gold color again,but I do love black cars too.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks View Post
How can I identify if the car has a safe-t-track rear end?

I mean, other than roasting the tires or jacking up the back to spin the wheels?
I read somewhere that there is a tag on the rear-end cover near the bottom right. But what are the odds that is still there?
You are right about the tag, a limited slip car originally would have had this tag in the location you mentioned:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...sdlube_tag.jpg

but obviously you cant count on its absence being definitive now. Reading the axle stampings is difficult to do without a lift as well, but you can learn of its location and decode it here:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/axledata2.htm

Lots of great stuff on the Wallace Racing site about Pontiacs. You might also find the data plate decoder on the Ultimate GTO site to be useful:

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/stats...7&f1=dataplate

Old 04-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Appears to me like a nice car for the money. The braided hoses don't do it any favors and give it an "out-dated" look. Seems you'll need some wiper arms, they show up for sale on here occasionally.Take a hard look underneath for solid floors and frame, trunk floor, etc. Also under the back glass area for bad repairs, as most rust there first.
I like it, but I may be biased.
Good luck!
X2 look real hard underneath at the floors, rockers and trunk area. Look inside of the trunk floor by wheel wells. Take a small digital camera with you and see if he will let you take pictures. Put the camera in areas you cannot see, like between the quarters and wheel wells in the trunk etc, and take lots of pics. Also take pics underneath the package tray, you might have to lay on your back in the trunk. Crawl all over and under every inch you can, I do this every time I look at a car. You will be surprised at what you see when you download them to your computer and zoom in on them. The flash will also light up areas that are dark. Good luck!

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 04-03-2013, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good points, Charles. A few years ago I asked the seller of an out-of-state Grand Prix to do the same, and he admitted he was surprised at what he saw with the camera.

Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrierblue66 View Post
A Freemont built GTO will have ...
The A.I.R. equipment only entered the picture when it was to be SOLD in California. HTH.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indetrucks View Post
That's what I was going to go in with. I hate when people pick apart my cars when trying to get a better deal, so I didn't want to be "that guy."

But I don't think a 15k offer is a "low ball." hopefully...
There's a lot of GTO's here in So Cal. I'd be a buyer at $15k, not more than that. I'd start at $14k, let him know you're close to the max offer. Definitely let him know you love his car and the work he's done, be excited. It's been said, Flattery is the infantry of negotiation...but don't hesitate to let him know what you need/want to done. Good luck, man!

Old 04-04-2013, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtojones View Post
Definitely let him know you love his car and the work he's done, be excited. It's been said, Flattery is the infantry of negotiation...but don't hesitate to let him know what you need/want to done. Good luck, man!
X2 He can get his car picked apart at any car show but if you preface it with compliments and what you like about the car then he won't be on the defensive. A much better place to start from. When I am selling things if someone starts to run down my item I close my ears and won't sell it to them. That's just the way that I operate.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67gtojones View Post
Flattery is the infantry of negotiation...
I love that!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Senior Chief

Funny you mention this.
A guy came to look at my car last Tuesday (the car I'm going to have to sell to make room in the garage for this one) and he picked it apart. Said it just wasn't worth what I was asking and talked how he was going to have to spend money to do "this and that" (as if it was my problem).

I literally told him, this is NOT the car for you. I was pissed he wasted my time and made me pull it out of the garage for a test drive. Told him my bottom line price over the phone (which was $4k less than I listed it for) and he still tried going lower in person. Ugh... I hate when people try negotiating without even first seeing the car.

I was actually more happy to not sell the car to him than if I sold it to for the asking price. First time I ever felt good about not selling a car.

I will definitely respect the work he put in to the GTO. Although offering $14k (22% less than his asking) might insult him. I'll have to feel out the situation.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If presented in the correct way I don't think that he should be insulted. By saying something like "I know you're at $18K but I'm more in the $14K range" and see where it goes from there. If he holds fast @ 18K then tell him that you'll have to sleep on it.

Old 04-04-2013, 08:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
The A.I.R. equipment only entered the picture when it was to be SOLD in California. HTH.
Ah right, thanks for clarifying my statement. I seem to have misquoted what I wanted to say.

My Garage
Tarheel Tigers Pontiac Club of Raleigh, NC
Old 04-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

By all means be humble and complement his car. As you inspect it show him what you find, don't elaborate on it, just bring it to his attention. Take lots of photos and when you are done, ask him what his bottom line cash money price is. Figure out in your head what you are willing to pay, and if needed negotiate, but don't haggle. If he is 1K off from where you are at, give him your top figure. Be prepared to either have him contact you if he changes his mind, or go to the bank and get the money. Don't loose out over a piddly amount of money. Have you got the PHS yet? You really need to take it with you when you go there. Do you know if others are looking at the car? Don't let someone else get the car because they offer him $250.00 more than you.

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:22 PM

imo the body is the important part if it is a solid body (not patched up or damaged badly) and it is a real gto it is a good deal by the looks of the pics
good luck on the sale and welcome to the site

original ca car
Old 04-04-2013, 12:27 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Have you got the PHS yet? You really need to take it with you when you go there. Do you know if others are looking at the car?
I ordered the PHS a few minutes ago. Called and he said I would have the PHS docs faxed back within an hour. Will post up here what I find.

He has no one else looking at it. He doesn't seem the internet type and I learned from the sale through his son (who knows nothing about the car, other than that it is beautiful)

Said that his dad might be willing to take an offer. We'll see...
Starting to get excited

Had lots of cars... always wanted a 67 GTO (especially a black plate CA car)

Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My way of doing it is by not picking the car apart, etc, as that only insults people. I point out the positive aspects of the car. If I like what I see, but want to pay less, I merely ask "what is your best price on this car?". "Best" has a positive spin, whereas "Lowest" sounds cheap, and has a negative spin. I think 14k for this car is too low if it checks out like I think it will. He wants 18k....16 or 17 would probably be a happy meeting ground.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:21 PM
Senior Chief

Got the fax back on the GTO. Options as listed...
Drum Roll...

Radio – Pushbutton & Electric Antenna
Seat Belts Custom – Front & Rear
Rally Gauge Cluster & Tachometer -----what does this consist of?
Delux Wheel Discs ----What is this?
Custom Sports Steering Wheel -------is this what looks like is on it based from the pics?
Power Steering
Glass Soft Ruv??? (illegible) –Windshield Only
Ride & Handling Package – Spring, shocks, & stabilizer bar
Safe-T-Trac Rear Axle ----YAY!
4 Speed Manual wide ratio – Fully Synchronized
3.55 Rear End
Std 400ci 4bbl carb. (W) engine code – CA model (WW6493)
10.75/1 Compression
Exterior Campaign
Interior Gold ----Booooo!
Label Price $3665.78

Old 04-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=indetrucks;4894791]I ordered the PHS a few minutes ago. Called and he said I would have the PHS docs faxed back within an hour. Will post up here what I find.

He has no one else looking at it. He doesn't seem the internet type and I learned from the sale through his son (who knows nothing about the car, other than that it is beautiful)

Said that his dad might be willing to take an offer. We'll see...
Starting to get excited

Had lots of cars... always wanted a 67 GTO (especially a black plate CA car)[/QUOTE

Dang it, now I have to wait for your "will post up what I find"! I just love these stories

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!