THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Good point. The EPA gets out of hand, but they do positive things. Corporations do good things in providing jobs and goods to people who need it, but they also will sacrifice your safety to max the profit. Balance is the key. You have to stay on both of them.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto_ron View Post
Guys,

I'll stay out of the WalMart discussion. I always buy American when I have a choice. I know we gripe a lot about the EPA( no lead in gas, no zinc in oil, etc) but China is a good example of what we would have if not for for the EPA rules. I want my grandkids to have clean air and water. I want them to see what a beautiful country this is.

regards

Well said ron. I hope kids well into the future are able to enjoy the beauty.

Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Source?
news.mongabay.com/2007/0822-wsj.html

Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbys View Post
American companies don't tell them to pollute they choose to pollute so that they gain extra profit. American companies need to figure that into the cost differential.
Yes, I agree with you. But, companies will operate as cheaply as allowed.

I'm talking about the companies that have a physical presence in China. It cost a lot of money to clean stack and water discharge. The only reason we have decent air and water is because polution control was forced on us by the EPA.

Just my opinion.

http://www.americanprogress.org/issu..._earthday.html

Old 06-19-2012, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another reason we should not be importing anything from China.

Car is a junk yard dog and maybe one day will be restored.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeach View Post
news.mongabay.com/2007/0822-wsj.html
Did you read your source or just interpret it on your own?

Quote:
U.S. firms are helping drive environmental degradation in China, putting the health of millions of Chinese at risk, reports The Wall Street Journal. The paper says that by demanding ever lower products for goods, manufacturers are forced to reduced environmental safeguards in order to compete.
Demanding low prices for goods is far different than....

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeach
Don't forget, a lot of these industries that are doing this pollution are owned by American companies.
Do your homework!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 06-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

True story. My brother in law works at a local razor company. To date everything has been made in the USA.

Recently they have contracted a line to be manufactured in China. They had Chinese production people here training. All of the US employees were told they can save the line by making X amount of product a day.

They gave up, they showed no interest in saving the jobs. So in some cases we've done it to ourselves.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Did you read your source or just interpret it on your own?

Demanding low prices for goods is far different than....

Do your homework!
It is not important, to me, for us to agree. I am not insecure. I know what I have read, and seen first hand. Sorry, I did not know I needed to take pictures.
If it is important to you, you are right, I am wrong.

Still friends?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
True story. My brother in law works at a local razor company. To date everything has been made in the USA.

Recently they have contracted a line to be manufactured in China. They had Chinese production people here training. All of the US employees were told they can save the line by making X amount of product a day.

They gave up, they showed no interest in saving the jobs. So in some cases we've done it to ourselves.
BIC or Gillette John?

Old 06-19-2012, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshallbeach View Post
It is not important, to me, for us to agree. I am not insecure. I know what I have read, and seen first hand. Sorry, I did not know I needed to take pictures.
If it is important to you, you are right, I am wrong.

Still friends?
I didn't realize we were friends to start with?

Unless you can back up your outrageous statements you are no different than the countless internet blogs who disseminate lies to support a chosen goal. There was nothing in your posted source that supported your statement, nor in the original WSJ article I went looking for before I quoted you. Your statement is baseless & untrue.

Pictures in this case are not helpful or necessary.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post

John - with the pay that Chinese workers get payed to make the product American workers would have to make many times more product to even come close. I'll bet it's not that the American workers were lazy, per say, just that they probably couldn't keep up the demand put on them day after day after day to make up the difference. Screw the Chinese people and their f'n corrupt government. They'll learn the hard way.
We just have to make sure the Chinese don't own the physical US when our children and grandchildren are adults. War is in the future for our clean water and food. Actually it's happening now. There are so many freakin spies here from China stealing everything they can and the US government/taxpayers owe those commies Trillions. They are beating us at our own game. We're screwed. Our children are screwed. What a world.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last edited by 6567GTO; 06-19-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw a headline a day or so ago on China building an "Eco City". Having seen the pictures from this thread, I had no desire to read of their "Eco City". I am sorry, no link, I really did read it, I swear! And I don't care if anyone believes me

Old 06-19-2012, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Good point. The EPA gets out of hand, but they do positive things. Corporations do good things in providing jobs and goods to people who need it, but they also will sacrifice your safety to max the profit. Balance is the key. You have to stay on both of them.
with a bit less union "OVERCRAP" , companys can afford to be cleaner

Old 06-20-2012, 12:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was in China just a few weeks ago- Beijing and Tianjin. The city centers are really beautiful with lots of new buildings and everything very well cared for. But the air pollution was something else- maybe Cleveland when the steel industry was really rolling years ago? Maybe even a lot worse than that. The whole area smelled like my garage when I am doing a big cutting/welding job and the haze was really thick most days. I was never a fan of the EPA, but I have a new appreciation for how clean the air in the western world has become.

I didn't get out of the cities except for the highway in-between, but judging by the air I have no doubt that pollution in general is really bad out there.

My company is spending a whole lot of money on our plant in Tianjin to get emmissions to US standards. And its a great deal- we are making a healthy profit by producing products there only for the local growing China market. So actually taking some cash out of China for US to spend!

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"