THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-15-2012, 10:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Very average pictures on a stunning restoration.

Ebay and pictures just doesn't show true quality or worse makes junk look nice, I know I have seen dozens on of cars that are on Ebay in person.

Their is a guy here in Seattle who has sold over 500 classics on Epay, My shop and my lead tech does work for him on the side and I get to look at these car in person and then look at the pictures.

Also the two body shops that restore my personal collection have showed me many many so called ''restored'' Ebay cars that I would considered to junk in person but look nice in pictures.

John Glasgo has a sterling reputation and the reason the car had a restamped block is he goes the extra mile on everything he touches to make it the best he can.

Here what the car looked at during the resto http://www.glasgoperformance.com/restorations/70-gto/

John sold the car, I have no vested interest in the Judge, I just know the quality of his work and how detailed oriented he is.

But look at his website and the Judge and then you will see why a dealer was willing to pay 60k for a clone wholesale!

Last edited by richard sargent; 04-15-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard sargent View Post
John Glasgo has a sterling reputation and the reason the car had a restamped block is he goes the extra mile on everything he touches to make it the best he can.
Why does re-stamping a block make it "going the extra mile" vs. leaving whatever the factory mark was?

Old 04-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
Why does re-stamping a block make it "going the extra mile" vs. leaving whatever the factory mark was?

Agreed!!! I have my own thoughts about this restamp and has to do with sales wayyyy down the road.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just to clarify- the way I read the auction is that the 2 letter engine code was changed. The ad states that the block is original to the car. The VIN on the block matches the VIN on the car, which indicates that it is, and was, a standard GTO. There was no tampering with the VIN. Correct?

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-16-2012, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyponchos View Post
John Glasgo (a member here) built the car for Pure Stock Drags and ran it atleast one year or more. He is not the person selling the car one ebay now. John had the car for sale here and on ebay several months ago. Not real sure, but think John had it for sale around $60K.
This is 100% correct!
I love the car, and would have been happy with the block "unstamped".
Actually it would have been better to do that to a Lemans in my book, but its a nice ride.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Just to clarify- the way I read the auction is that the 2 letter engine code was changed. The ad states that the block is original to the car. The VIN on the block matches the VIN on the car, which indicates that it is, and was, a standard GTO. There was no tampering with the VIN. Correct?
Does the VIn on the block even matter at this point aside from its the cars original block, whats left of it.
I see "restorations" where blocks are decked to zero, and heads milled and all sorts of NOT needed stuff, that makes the motor all unique to itself, you couldnt even swap on a new intake, cause it was all milled to mate with its own parts, WHY , on a numbers resto is that done? This car probably falls into that category. The Block is JUNK as far as originalty, and could probably Never take another rebuild, thanks to machine shops who refuse to do anything stock, and people who spend too much time thinking an "upgrade" is good on a numbers car......( they probably spend too much time getting bad advice on "more power" as well.)
This car, with the engine block STOCK, and maybe the heads, would be a lot more acceptable to people as its way to expensive as a toy, but has some value as an original GTO

Old 04-16-2012, 02:24 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben M. View Post
I think the idea was to make a exact replica of a OO IV Judge right down to the WW.

Look at the undercarriage went to great lengths to duplicate overspray, paint dabs, etc. maybe got a little carried away, but I don't think it was to mislead anyone.

But it could cause problems down the road once it get sold a few times!

Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Does the VIn on the block even matter at this point aside from its the cars original block, whats left of it.
Bruce, I made my statement to clarify that no one was tampering with the VIN. A bunch of members here have their panties in a bunch because they heard the word "re-stamp". There is no deception here as anyone running the PHS will know what it is.

I love the car, and I LOVE the fact that as nicely restored as it is, it was still taken out on the dragstrip and flogged hard!

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 04-16-2012, 07:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who cares - It's a beautiful car and John is a great guy & an asset to the hobby.

You should be less concerned about the Pepper green 4spd GTO that had the two letter code on it's block changed and more concerned with all of the RA IV GTO's & TA's that have had their vins transferred to new blocks.

Get a grip guys!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 04-16-2012, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here -go for a ride in it... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFQGQ...S4iMq1BxOyvG4=

Old 04-16-2012, 08:06 AM
Suspended

"Originally Born ,A Lazy ,Stock #242 Pepper Green GTO
Destined for a boring life"

All you green car owners feel deflated?

Old 04-16-2012, 09:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Go to the 6.01 mark and watch him nail it!

Old 04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
Who cares - It's a beautiful car and John is a great guy & an asset to the hobby.

You should be less concerned about the Pepper green 4spd GTO that had the two letter code on it's block changed and more concerned with all of the RA IV GTO's & TA's that have had their vins transferred to new blocks.

Get a grip guys!
neither is a true RA IV GTO so it only looks good and thats all
to me he is like an honest thief,as some one will come along thinking their getting the real deal and to me that just spoils the hobby.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatless View Post
Can you show me where this is? I'm having trouble finding it.

John Glasgo is a well respected member of the Pontiac and Pure Stock racing communities- and he does damn fine restorations. He is not the seller in this auction.
I think that was the name but like i said it was about a year ago and the thread was moved to the clubhouse and dropped off. It could very well be (and probably is) someone else that was asking where he could get a block re stamped though. I'm not very good with names I've only seen a day or two from a year ago.

Anyway, Whoever it was got his butt chewed out for even asking.

Last edited by sleepy; 04-16-2012 at 10:57 PM.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Man, I love it!!! But jeez seems like your damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Old 04-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Actually it would have been better to do that to a Lemans in my book, but its a nice ride.
I think the car is absolutely gorgeous!!

That said I think a 242 vin could lead to issues and misrepresentation further down the line if someone doesn't do their "due diligence".

A Lemans or Tempest redone to this level would absolutely make me giddy. All above board at that point to me. You know what you're getting then.

What can I say, my dos pesos.

Old 04-16-2012, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is not a forged VETTE! and no proof of origin

Anybody down the road pays over 50k for a Pontiac and doesn't get a PHS is probally going to lose his money anyway on something else.

A fool and his money are soon parted!

Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM

While I like Pepper Green, this car is immaculate.
John is a friend of mine also - he would never pass it off as an original Judge or RAIV.
He wanted one (a Judge like you see it) so he built one - had fun with it and sold it.
One thing I find interesting in the ad - the gears are stated as 4.33s but John uses the Richmond Gear 4.11s - and the car still runs a great number.

I guess the one thing I wouldn't have done is stamp the block; I don't think it's necessary on a car like that. However, if I had the means and wanted a good running RAIV Judge, even in that color, even as a clone - yes, I'd take it. I mean, how many of us have a car that is truly done? This one, for having fun with purposes, IS done.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBubba View Post
That said I think a 242 vin could lead to issues and misrepresentation further down the line if someone doesn't do their "due diligence".

Stamping the block doesn't make him responsible for anyone else's stupidity! Especially in an environment where proper documentation is so ****ing easy to get!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My apologies to Mr Glasgo. It was this guy asking. Not him.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=662048