THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
It's almost like you are speaking English....but not quite....

K
Ha! That's what all my friends say also!

Old 04-02-2012, 04:25 PM
Senior Chief

I have it & like it, with Amazon Prime you get a bunch of free movies & TV complete season episodes, I'd like to see Speed & Velocity get involved I'm sure it will happen sooner or later

370 Posts and holding...
Old 04-02-2012, 06:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We use a Samsung Bluray player to access Hulu plus and Netflix via wireless connection to the router. Coupled with free over the air HD channels (34 or so thru our digital antenna), it only costs me $16/month. Sure beats Fios prices. We also have Amazon prime, and can get content there. Our bedroom TV has wireless built in, and Hulu/Netflix apps which are nice. We are happy so far....cancelled Fios back in August, and saving lots of $.

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 04-02-2012, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good news; Free Roku app downloaded from Apple to me IPAD.
Notsogood news; Another app I gotta learn how-to use.

tried to make anaccount, Looks like I need to pay for something...not sure what.

When using Roku, what FREE wifi are you counting on while at home??

technically, I know how to beam in wifi butt hey, the provider will figure that out in short order. So that would get old.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 04-02-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:28 PM
Senior Chief

Just found this add on channel called PlayOn for the Roku they have a bunch of channels, ESPN 3 I think NHRA races are broadcast on 3? have to check into that one
http://www.playon.tv/content-channels

370 Posts and holding...
Old 04-02-2012, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith h View Post
Just found this add on channel called PlayOn for the Roku they have a bunch of channels, ESPN 3 I think NHRA races are broadcast on 3? have to check into that one
http://www.playon.tv/content-channels
I'm doing the 14 free days of PlayOn...may just pony up the 50 for lifetime, not bad especially if they add to it

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 04-02-2012, 10:50 PM
Senior Chief

This sounds like a nice little box!....I want one!

Now just have to decide on which version!..is there enuff 1080p content avalable?

I have Comcast now with the triple play premium bundle and it is killin me!
pay about 230 a month!...maybe I could switch to basic cable with internet combined with this box and save some coin!

Need to have NFL as the wife and kids are HUGE Eagles fans, so that could be the deal breaker.

Any football games broadcast on the free HD "over the air" channels?

Old 04-03-2012, 01:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmen View Post
Need to have NFL as the wife and kids are HUGE Eagles fans, so that could be the deal breaker.

Last year the NFL wasn't on Roku, so I watched games on a delayed basis by computer for a very reasonable price (from NFL.com.---it was cheap maybe $40 for the whole season, any game). If you Google something like "Roku and NFL" you can probably find out the latest. Last season there was talk of offering NFL Sunday Ticket this year on Roku thru Direct TV. If so, the ripoff prices will probably apply.

Jim

Old 04-03-2012, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchmen View Post
This sounds like a nice little box!....I want one!

Now just have to decide on which version!..is there enuff 1080p content avalable?

I have Comcast now with the triple play premium bundle and it is killin me!
pay about 230 a month!...maybe I could switch to basic cable with internet combined with this box and save some coin!

I added ustvnow.com(you have to use a proxy to fool the site and think you're overseas ) but they do all the network channels...from Pa. So they probably hav all the Eagles games...which is unfotunate for me, being a Pats fan

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 04-03-2012, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen455 View Post
Hit me up on facebook if you find anything real good that has drag racing or muscle cars. I would love a channel about racing R&D and hot rod documentary's.
Are you still on there? I haven't seen you post in a while

Old 04-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
Are you still on there? I haven't seen you post in a while
I deleted the account a while back, and somehow re-activated about a month ago. I rarely post anything anymore even on forums like this. Too much strife, so I just troll or as I like to call it selective posting. I try and only post on car or tech stuff and leave the politics to the "experts".

So yup I like the roku just fine, but nothing beats my PC setup with the wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up to the flat screen. I have all the net and pretty much any movie I want to watch at any time. Poor kid came knocking on the door to try and sell us on direct TV yesterday. I had to tell him sorry we don't need it.

Old 04-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Senior Chief

ustvnow....is that free or pay?

Do you feel the 1080p roku is worth the extra money?.........I want to order one today
and also look into a good over air antenna.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:00 AM

Ustvnow has a free service that does network channels for free, they have a full cable package that's VERY expensive, I was hoping they had a middle ground one that you could select some stuff(like History and a few others) but I don't think they do.

Old 04-03-2012, 12:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ustvnow has a free service that does network channels for free, they have a full cable package that's VERY expensive, I was hoping they had a middle ground one that you could select some stuff(like History and a few others) but I don't think they do.
And that in a nutshell is what is wrong with all cable and satellite: the requirement to buy literally hundreds of channels to get the few you want. If everyone could buy channels on an a la carte basis, 99% of the junk would go away and we could watch (and pay for) only what we want. I guess I'm spoiled. I got a big dish in 1984 to watch NFL football. Everything was free in those days. I don't mind paying, but I would like to pay only for what I want--not two hundred channel "packages".

Jim

Old 04-03-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgen455 View Post
So yup I like the roku just fine, but nothing beats my PC setup with the wireless keyboard and mouse hooked up to the flat screen. I have all the net and pretty much any movie I want to watch at any time. Poor kid came knocking on the door to try and sell us on direct TV yesterday. I had to tell him sorry we don't need it..
i have nearing 19k movies & series stored on my computer,id drop cable in a hearbeat but my girlfriend likes her soaps

Old 04-03-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
And that in a nutshell is what is wrong with all cable and satellite: the requirement to buy literally hundreds of channels to get the few you want. If everyone could buy channels on an a la carte basis, 99% of the junk would go away and we could watch (and pay for) only what we want. I guess I'm spoiled. I got a big dish in 1984 to watch NFL football. Everything was free in those days. I don't mind paying, but I would like to pay only for what I want--not two hundred channel "packages".

Jim

Yeah we would have Speed, Spike, History, Discovery, Smithsonian, local channels, Comedy Central, SyFy, maybe a couple of foreign channels that speak English because they have some entertaining stuff on, and maybe a few other channels. Probably keep it under 20 or so, compared to the hundreds on there.

Old 04-03-2012, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

Do any of the Roku models work like a Micca?...allow you to play movies from a USB harddrive?

And for those that ditched cable, how do you get high speed internet at home? Cost?

Old 04-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Senior Chief

I just picked up a Roku2 XS at the local BJ's....seems like a decent deal, 89.99 with an HDMI cable and 2 months free HuluPLUS subscription. It also came with Angry Birds, but I really dont care about that one.

just watched an episode of "American Dragster" and now my daughter is watching "the little rascals"

Quote:
Do any of the Roku models work like a Micca?...allow you to play movies from a USB harddrive?
.............AROWHED, this version I just picked up, the XS has a USB port for playing your media thru the Roku, it can play from a flash drive or a HDD,
BUT it only supports certain file types....below is a link with more info.
http://support.roku.com/entries/2029...hannel-support

Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I'm doing the 14 free days of PlayOn...may just pony up the 50 for lifetime, not bad especially if they add to it
Hey just got the lifetime subscription to Playon they are running a special for $99 lifetime sub comes with a Roku2, not a bad deal for that price http://www.playon.tv/bundle/buy/

370 Posts and holding...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith h View Post
Hey just got the lifetime subscription to Playon they are running a special for $99 lifetime sub comes with a Roku2, not a bad deal for that price http://www.playon.tv/bundle/buy/
Whose lifetime---yours or Playon's??

Jim