Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Objectively: as for me Aluminum heads are developmental.
Iron heads are reliable.

I'd like to see the "best developmental head" be revealed, then cast in iron, then availed in JEGS or Summit as affordable.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
"if your going to run your mouth you must be willing to take a hit."

Seen PLENTY of that on this board, although it's calmed down some in recent months.

I've been attacked at just about every level, in most cases from the "armchair" crowd, where most of there experience is "Googled" up, or comes from pissing around with one single application, and they make so many changes on any given day, they really don't know what works or doesn't work. I've got a pretty thick skin, most of it bothers me not in the least, and don't get my panties all wadded up with most of that crap, expecially when I sit back and look at where the comments are coming from.

In any case, we are judged by our actions, not our words. I stick mostly to the "street" oriented stuff, much larger customer base, and more money to make there. We have PLENTY of customers who are full time racers, in just about every class of racing out there, but it's a very small percentage of what we do here, and I would literally starve to death if all my efforts were spent in that area.

It's still interesting and informative to surf around in the "Race" section. I think some "smack" talk is appropriate, and motivating. We have moderators to decide when it's gone too far, or getting out of control.....FWIW.....Cliff
Sometimes peoples positive comments on a product is perceived by some as an attack on what they have or are doing! We cannot control peoples perceptions and later be accused as an instigator because of how they perceived it..

Your street builds have always been impressive to me, after all I am a street car guy that was forced into racing just to prove a point. Plan to make the transition back to street after I'm done!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Iron heads are reliable.

I'd like to see the "best developmental head" be revealed, then cast in iron, then availed in JEGS or Summit as affordable.
Ask Jim Sammons about that, he will tell you the lowdown on what it takes to bring a product to market.

Old 01-04-2012, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"Your street builds have always been impressive to me, after all I am a street car guy that was forced into racing just to prove a point."

Thanks. Been an avid racer for decades myself....I just have a LOT more fun with a "daily driver" that I have to slow down to stay roll bar legal with.

Nothing funner that I know of that pitting beside some guy with a gutted out Camaro or Chevelle with every part he could afford from the high performance parts catalogs, including a big hole cut in his hood to fit two 4bbls, and we're running faster than he is with full exhaust, quiet mufflers, no bars of any king, and stock Ralley wheels and trim rings! The icing on the cake is when they wonder over and see the q-jet sitting on the stock intake......priceless!......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Nothing funner that I know of that pitting beside some guy with a gutted out Camaro or Chevelle with every part he could afford from the high performance parts catalogs, including a big hole cut in his hood to fit two 4bbls, and we're running faster than he is with full exhaust, quiet mufflers, no bars of any king, and stock Ralley wheels and trim rings! The icing on the cake is when they wonder over and see the q-jet sitting on the stock intake......priceless!......Cliff
Amen to that, brother!

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 01-04-2012, 12:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
...Nothing funner that I know of that pitting beside some guy with a gutted out Camaro or Chevelle with every part he could afford from the high performance parts catalogs, including a big hole cut in his hood to fit two 4bbls, and we're running faster than he is with full exhaust, quiet mufflers, no bars of any king, and stock Ralley wheels...icing on the cake is when they...see the q-jet sitting on the stock intake......priceless!......Cliff
Not funny to me; It's a sad indication of more OCCUPY zombies.

Old 01-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: Pontiac Heaven in the Arizona desert & above the White mountains in the cool country of eastern Az

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Iron heads are reliable.

Alum heads have so many advantages for most any applilcation, even a stocker. They are repaired much easier than an iron head. I would not pay much for any iron head unless it was for a restoration. It was the main reason why I avoided V stuff. Of course, now you can get them in alum too which is really a good thing.

Do not know how many Ram Air IV and '71 455HO heads I have seen cracked and they are not easy to fix. '72 455HO fair better because of their larger cooling areas and tend to crack much less.

Hosting-
23rd annual Pontiac Heaven weekend- Phoenix pending due to covid
Pontiac Heaven Museum in process
Phil 2:11
Old 01-05-2012, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Barcak View Post
Alum heads have so many advantages........ iron head...how many...seen cracked...
Cracked iron due to 2-piece valve is moot these days.

Us cold-weather folks do concern for valve seats that rattle loose, head gaskets that wear out, sparkplug threads that strip/cross easily when we tighten til it gives & back-off that 1/4turn. Things like that.

Old 01-05-2012, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bet that anyone making a good aluminum head, then casting the same head in cast iron, would not be saving you much money. The additional cost of aluminum is not that much, it's all the developement, the trial and error, the casting costs, the advertising and then the maker has to rightfully make a profit or, why do it. I wonder if any of the Pontiac head manufacturers out there could give us cost difference if they offered a aluminum head and an identical cast iron head. Be it would not be that much. I could be wrong but that is just my opinion. I also agree totally woth Steve. The aluminum has so many advantages over the cast iron. As long as they are designed as an aluminum product form the inception. Mark L