Old 01-15-2010, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks John, good info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CATBIRD View Post
Larry.....That body tag is correct for 59 and 60 cars. Notice that all assembly plants have a corresponding body plant. There are two additional body plants, Lansing and Euclid. I know that every 59 and 60 convertible I am familiar with has a "LA" body tag. That's why I thought that Euclid might have been where station wagon bodies were assembled.
The CL (Cleveland) FB plant was used up through 1958 to build station wagon bodies. It appears that plant quit making Pontiac bodies after 1958. It appears the Euclid plant first produced Pontiac bodies in 1959 or 1960 and I don't know what body types they made, perhaps station wagon build moved there. Although the plants are within 5 miles of each other, they are not the same plant. The CL plant has been leveled.

I've been doing some research on the FB and Pontiac assembly plants, see www.PontiacSafari.com/PlantCodes but have very little info on 1959-60.

Quote:
If I'm not mistaken, Kansas City Mo. was a Chevrolet assembly plant, and Kansas City Kansas was a BOP plant.
Looks like you are correct on that, from what I can find. It appears I had it incorrect.

Quote:
In 1965, I had the privilege of touring the Linden, N.J. plant. We were not allowed into the section where the bodies were welded together, but the line where they were leading and grinding the seams, had several bare steel convertible bodies hanging there also. That line continued upstairs to be painted, where they wouldn't let us go either. Did not see a single station wagon that entire day. I can't say with any certainty how it was done in other years or plants, but I can confirm that convertibles were painted there then. Don't know if the bare bodies were assembled there or shipped in.
Interesting. Is it correct that the Linden plant was Buick/Olds/Pontiac? There seems to be very little info on FB plants and Pontiac assembly plants. The recent articles in Smoke Signals by a guy that worked in the Pontiac MI assembly plant was interesting and gave some insight into how things were done -- but no help on understanding Fisher Body building of Pontiac bodies.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:28 AM

Larry.....Linden for sure was BOP. I have also seen Buicks and Oldsmobiles from Wilmington, Framingham, and Kansas City. Not 100% sure about the others. I doubt that Pontiac plant produced anything but Pontiacs. As I mentioned in the previous post, I can only confirm that all the 1965 bodies at Linden were painted there. I'm sorry to have hi-jacked this thread with this virtual cesspool of knowledge! Perhaps we should start a new thread just about old factory history and the related topics. I for one have a ton of questions about this stuff......John

Old 01-16-2010, 01:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, we have wandered off topic -- again. I created a new thread with continuation of our discussion here.