Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Yanoski
I am not condemning the craftmenship of the work or KRE but.... what part of a Pontiac is that????? It would be hard to convince other brand race people that that is a real Pontiac! The heads look like a SB Chevy splayed valve head! If KRE did not make it, would it be allowed to run in the Q -16?

When is it not a Pontiac anymore?

When is a Chevy no longer a Chevy? Or a Ford a Ford? Pontiacs have been in last place for a long time and I am glad to see they have comeout with that design. Chevys and Fords both run larger bore spacing than factory specs as well as Hemispherical heads. Does that mean there no longer Chevys and Fords. Its Hi time someone cameout with a head like that. They just might put Pontiac back on the map. I'm not a fan of KRE but they seemed to have built a better mousetrap. Even though its not a proven piece I think they deserve credit for their efforts.

Old 08-15-2007, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, wait until the mouse trap has been tested before saying "better". So far all of their mouse traps blow up after a pass or two, never being able to repeat performance on the same day, or same weekend.

They're still retaining the factory bore spacing and 4 fasteners per cylinder head torque arrangement, so it's more Pontiac than those wider bore spacing Chevrolet blocks are they run in Pro Stock.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Senior Chief

it is true that all super fast chevys do nothave stock 23 degree valve angles ect ect, so in essence they are not chevys- but, i was not there but just by the pics- sadly nothing resembles a pontiac engine there

Old 08-15-2007, 03:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx421
it is true that all super fast chevys do nothave stock 23 degree valve angles ect ect, so in essence they are not chevys- but, i was not there but just by the pics- sadly nothing resembles a pontiac engine there
Bah! You guys just aren't used to seeing a large blower with a custom intake on a Pontiac. Granted, the heads and valve covers look "non-Pontiac" but that block is still a Pontiac.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess that the new splayed valve heads really won't resemble a Pontiac, they look more like a Ford. The good thing is I guess you can run at Ford and Pontiac races, 2 for 1. Really though, if GM had continued manufacturing the Stratostreak engine, do you think that the heads would remain the same after 1978 til now? I kinda believe that they would have changed with the advancements in technology. Is the 1978 GP still the same as the 2007? It continued to be produced without a production interruption, and bears little resembalance to the 1978 model. Kinda like the GTO woulda changed had it been continued without interruption. Might look like the 2004-2006 GTO s do now...

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sirrotica,I would like to think that if the GTOs production was not interrupted it would
look nothing like that ugly,choped off half worn out bar of soap car they are calling a gto.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Second Hand Baker
Well, wait until the mouse trap has been tested before saying "better". So far all of their mouse traps blow up after a pass or two, never being able to repeat performance on the same day, or same weekend.
And some can't even make it down the track!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Probably wouldnt be impossible to put 6 bolts around the cylinders. Nothing wrong with change. Wonder what the Pontiac world would have become had M/T been able to get Pontiac to build production Hemi heads like his? The Pontiac purists howled copycat back then too!

Old 08-15-2007, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well the GTO looks surprisingly similar to a GP now so I don't think it would be all that different. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and I've had many more compliments on my late model GTO than detractors, but I'm not gonna get into the styling of the car.BTW I've owned 3, 65 GTO s a 67 a 69 a 70 Judge and a 73 GTO,the 65 model being my favorite. The 73 and 74 GTO owners should be happy because until the 2004 debuted they were told that their GTO s were the worst looking. I'd like a new 65 GTO with a Stratostreak Tri Power engine with fuel injection, but I'm quite sure that GM isn't going to build one. I need a car to drive reguarly that has A/C runs strong handles well and gets an average of 21 MPG, this car does all that and quite well. I'm not a candidate for a Honda and I do like to keep my stable GM.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 08-15-2007, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Roach
And some can't even make it down the track!
That's right, because some men know their limitations.

A conversation between a potential customer and a vendor:

vendor: "How many engines have you built?"

pc: "None."

vendor: "How many have you blown up?"

pc: "Less than you, apparently."

Old 08-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"looks like a short deck in the pics?"

Get your glasses recalibrated JC. The bare block is a normal height 10.243" block, (per Bill M).

If you looked at the Pontiac Mag from years ago (like 1970 vintage) that showed the 427 HEMI headed aluminum engine, then you could easily see the connection to Bill M's block. Bill's block does not have the extra long bolts that go into the main caps like that engine did.

Most of the Ford modular engine was a semi-knock of of the Pontiac 427 engine according to my old boss who was the "Daddy of the Ford Modular Engine".

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

devil in the details. now you tell us some specifics....... all we have to look at are some pics. the tall valley reinforcment ribs make it look short to me. did the old 427 pontiac have this feature?

how about the heads, anything pontiyackers might want to know?

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds

Last edited by J.C.you; 08-16-2007 at 07:31 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:20 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Yeah, billet heads are "eye candy". But... why are you guys excited about one-off pieces, when the Roland Racing CV-1 heads will soon be "on the shelf" at a very reasonable price?

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 08-16-2007 at 03:40 AM.
Old 08-16-2007, 03:40 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught
... the 427 HEMI headed aluminum engine, then you could easily see the connection to Bill M's block...
You'll have to tell me what the "connection" is. I view a picture of the Pontiac OHC 427 every day on my garage wall, and don't see any connection to this block, other than they're both very rigid bank-to-bank. But that's for two totally different reasons- this block's valley is well reinforced, and the OHC's block doesn't have a "lifter valley" to weaken it.

Old 08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:

"You'll have to tell me what the "connection" is. I view a picture of the Pontiac OHC 427 every day on my garage wall, and don't see any connection to this block, other than they're both very rigid bank-to-bank. But that's for two totally different reasons- this block's valley is well reinforced, and the OHC's block doesn't have a "lifter valley" to weaken it."

1) One of a kind engines
2) Out of the box thinking (nothing traditional Pontiac)
3) Unique valvetrains vs stud mounted valvetrains.
4) Unique Intake Manifolds
5) Unique Heads
6) Unique Valve Covers
7) Special Block Configuration
8) Spread Exhaust Ports
9) Port Fuel Injection
10) Front Mounted Distributor

There are more things but I am tired of typing.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You guys know a race Pontiac can only have factory D port heads and an 041 cam and doesn't need anything more. No thinking out of the box now.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs