Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, still planning on putting one together over the Winter. Looking at using the steel 4.5" stroke with 6.7" rods, custom pistons. Didn't see the 4.75" stroke version.

Norwalk is coming up pretty fast, just realized I haven't touched the car since the final round last year. Guess I'd better get busy!......Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-05-2007, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like the 505cid engine made some track runs yesterday. Just a few passes to get things broke in nicely. Rich reported 10.50 @ just under 130mph, not bad for 128 degree track temps and the heat and humidity off the scale. DA was reported around 3900'.....Cliff

PS: Rich, your initial warrantee is over, you are now officially on your "Arkansas" warrantee......"if you break it in half, you get both halves!"

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 08-05-2007, 11:23 PM

hey!!! i broke a 130, went 130.02 and damn was it hot out had a da of 3700-3900, we,ll get it quicker at norwalk with that ruggles-roup tune-up,i got a few things to change,need a bigger hood scoop, and hafta talk to tci about that converter, wouldnt launch worth a damn. who else runs a 130 with a 1.57 60ft?

Old 08-06-2007, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's the driver, not the converter. Maybe you're too used to the old/tired borrowed engine and scared of the new 505?

It's kinda funny about the high port heads, no where in the instructions do they tell you that the intake don't line up with the water pump anymore....and....you're gonna need to move the hood up some!........Cliff

Old 08-12-2007, 10:36 PM

new update, after finding my oil leak, that was driving us nuts up at norwalk, ran 10.40s on friday and 10.30s on sat and ran a so far best of 10.34@131.51,no real tuning done yet , was alittle busy with the oil leak that came up and fixing a broken rear brake line as i was going to the lanes 1st round sat ,the converter is pretty tight was looking for 3800-4000 , its more like 3200-3400.but its still together

Old 08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Congrats on your marriage, congrats on your brake line repair (without bending up the car or yourself, and congrats on the low 10 second times with a new engine combo.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R

PS: Rich, your initial warrantee is over, you are now officially on your "Arkansas" warrantee......"if you break it in half, you get both halves!"

MR-1 block.

Now that's Funny.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MR-1 Block.JPG
Views:	192
Size:	212.6 KB
ID:	101326  

Last edited by PONTIAC DUDE; 08-13-2007 at 10:55 AM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:31 AM

So! Is that a straight main block, and did you perform any test on it?

Old 08-13-2007, 12:13 PM

str8 mains, and no didnt preform any test,s but alot of reputable people looked that block over and it isnt a soft one, hey ken, i need to talk to you about a customer service problem a local guy from pa came to me at norwalk on sunday.let me know the best way or time to talk to you on that.its not on your end so far, i told the guy i,ve talked to you a few times and bought a dudescoop off of you and i hadnt heard you were a assh@$# so lets see if we can get this guy on track

Old 08-13-2007, 12:16 PM

thanks Tom, im still kinda waiting for the weekend to settle in, i planned the surprise wedding. didnt plan on the oil leak or that brake line,we got back to the pits and people were coming by congratulating us and im under the damn car up to my eyeballs in brake fluid.. some honeymoon,. and thanks deb and cliff for getting her drunk afterwards!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 12:37 PM

[QUOTE=ONEFASTLEMANS]str8 mains, and no didnt preform any test,s but alot of reputable people looked that block over and it isnt a soft one

Having done no tests, how can you make that statement? And if you somehow determined " it isn't an soft one" are you implying that some are soft. Is the softness in someway an issue on other blocks or is softness even an issue one should check when building an engine? Looking at my post, I didn't ask about the softness of your block.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Boost Engineer

Nucklehead, Please do a search on the site before you make your comments. This is old news that several of the block were measured by professional inspection houses, ask Steve Coombs) and the blocks had a low Brinel reading. The same blocks also had thread pulling issues with a loss of gasket sealing on some blocks and some blocks were cast improperly and had failed main webs. All of this is right on the site for your inspection.

Most race teams do a Brinel check of the blocks they get and the factory routinely checks their blocks for hardness and has a spec for it in their requirements to the foundry.

Brinel testing will help you determine the clamping load that the block can handle between the different "joints" in the block but you still need a good foundry to cast the blocks, (ask Dick Duclow about that deal) and a good basic design.

Splayed caps will give you a certain strength based on the location where they tie into the block structure vs the straight 4 bolt main blocks but the location is only one part of the puzzle. A IA-1 or IA-2 block is much stronger than a factory modded splayed cap deal as the overall block is stronger in several places (by design). That being said, a factory "hard" block with splayed caps supported over 1600 hp for three years. The IA blocks are stronger.
John Welters IA-1 block (very hard ask anyone) has held over 2000+ hp for several years in both the Butlers car and John's firebird.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-13-2007, 06:08 PM

I would like to hear from Cliff, as it seems he built the engine. Is this a new block or is it a second (one of the returned blocks).

Old 08-13-2007, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"I would like to hear from Cliff, as it seems he built the engine. Is this a new block or is it a second (one of the returned blocks)."

As mentioned on the other thread. We were told our block was from the new foundry, and there are no casting marks to indicate otherwise. We did not do any sort of hardness testing. The three center main caps are straight, not splayed.

There seems to be quite a bit of speculation and contraversy about the blocks KRE had issues with. I really don't know how many blocks were recalled/replaced, and doubt if anyone else does either?

Since we waited so long for our block, and other parts, we felt confident that we were recieving the latest/best parts available. I saw no need to test the material of the block, or the crankshaft for that matter. Besides, I figured Rich will find any "weak" spots, I don't know anyone on the planet who runs there stuff any harder than he does!.....Cliff

Old 08-14-2007, 09:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much HP is the 505 putting out.750 sound kind of low for a 505 with 13-1 and High Ports.I would like to build a pump gas 505 that makes 700+ HP.
but you would think this motor would make 800+ no problem.

Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We don't know the exact power output, the engine was not dyno'd. We could probably get the race weight from Rich, and someone could run the numbers to give us some idea as to the power output?.......Cliff

Old 08-15-2007, 07:23 PM

3185 wo 3450 with driver

Old 08-15-2007, 07:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Onefast, were you at Norwalk? If so I'm sorry I missed you. The car sounds very nice and I'm sure you'll be happy once all the tuning and testing is done.

Old 08-15-2007, 08:30 PM

Rich... if you or anyone else from that area are coming to our race on Aug 28, please remind me to give you guys some coupons from Pittsburg Raceway Park. Jim (sorry for the hijack )

Old 08-16-2007, 01:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg
Onefast, were you at Norwalk? If so I'm sorry I missed you. The car sounds very nice and I'm sure you'll be happy once all the tuning and testing is done.
Yeah, he was the one that got married.

ET/MPH is about right for an "out of the box" set.