Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-28-2003, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you need a lot of tuning.

Does the car hook then spin,or just spin on launch?

If the shocks are bottoming the springs are too weak.
Most cases the shocks will top out,unloading the suspension.

You say;
"we never limit front end travel, we use cheap napa stock front shocks.....works for us....We don't want a car that jumps up before going forward then bounce back down, we try to get it to lift and carry and come down slow, plus we need control on top end with the way the wind is out here and some of these old tracks are nothing but old air "

That's the reason to limit front travel to keep the car from bouncing when coming down,and the front usually stays low at speed for stabilty.

I would lower the bars 1 hole,limit the front end travel to about 3",stiffen the rear shocks some.

Also try short shifting 1st to 2nd gear change.As soon as the car comes up,shift.

johnta1
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
www.wallaceracing.com

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-28-2003, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

I would put the ladder bar front mounts in their highest setting and then stiffen up the rear shocks rebound setting.
Are you doing a long enough burnout? My car was very inconsistent until I started doing long 1-2-3 burnouts. Also make sure your crew are pulling you right out of the water before you burnout, it's amazing how many racers burnout in a puddle.

Old 10-28-2003, 01:57 PM

Joe, You indicated you were looking for "a quick fix!" Most street cars run a 1.5 degree Pinion angle, however as the H.P. increases, so should your pinion angle to a point. I know this is a Big can of worms with all the o-pinions in this area. My experience has been, not many agree with how the measurements should be taken to begin with, much less a datum point common among racers. For "a quick fix" increasing your pinion angle to approx double, at 3 degrees, will offer you the quick fix you are looking for, try it and see! Success to you, MRDAN7

Old 10-28-2003, 03:15 PM

Joe, make sure that there isn't any binding in your rear suspension and check your front cross brace for the ladder bars to make sure it isn't flexing excessively.

Old 10-28-2003, 05:42 PM

First off I'd like to Thank you all for you idea's! Johnla1.We don't have a front-end problem,it'll carry the wheels and set them down without bouncing just before the shif to second.We have already moved the ladder-bars to every available hole and tried every shock setting~ the problem is in the first 20' in the back of the car~ it hooks-wades the slick up then unloads and spins! Taff: We tried all your reconmmendations too! MRDAN7:We'll have to try more pinion angle like you said! Leland: We have strenghtened the cross-over bar and checked for bindind too! Ray: We tried the zip lock thing last nite, not bottom'm! We have a pad where we can practice. We are going to the track this saturday and we'll try the zip-lock again there to make sure! We think it's the tires. 3000 lbs with 53% on the rear~ we mite need stiff wall tires! We run tubes in the tires too~ M/T doesn't make stiff wall in 13"x31" tires that i can find and any bigger just won't fit on the car~~~ like i said: the car hooks for about 2' then the tire unwraps and the back of the car starts to slow bounce'n~~ we looked at the tape one frame at a time and we are get'n wheel to fender seperation and rise all through low gear!! Lost: when we had the old motor- about 128 hp less we could run 10.80's all day and run rite on the dial, OH WELL! Thank

Old 10-28-2003, 06:30 PM

Good news~ Talked to a chassis guy just a minute ago:The first thing he said after we told him what the car was doing~ PINION ANGLE <1.5 degrees is not enough> go 3 to 4 degrees-- He believes the rear-end was going over center and pull'n the tires with it! He also said to go up to 170 springs from the 150's then we wouldn't have to run the shocks so tight so we could get down some of them bumpy old airport strips we have run on..We'll try most of these things this weekend!

Old 11-03-2003, 09:01 AM

Guy's! Again Thank You for all the great recommendations. We had tried most of them before ~ so the only one that i was to stubborn to change was the pinion angle and after hearning from some of you that keep saying "PINION ANGLE" I thought I had better give it a try. We changed the adjustment from 1.5 degrees to 4.0 degrees ~ Set the preload to 0 on the ladder-bars with the driver in place and had to readjust the tracklocater then recheck every thing again. I still had my doubts about this. UPDATE: Went to an 1/8 track saturday ~ Car did just what it should ~ Hook & Go ~ no bouceing ~ At the hit the whole car just lifted and left with both front tires off the ground about a foot and a half for about 40' then it set down and ran like it should ~ We made 6 runs all straight ~ all 6 runs were in the 1.38's for the 60' ~ the best being a 1.3805 and the worst being 1.3885 ~ We ran 6.36 et 5 times and 6.35 once ~ Thats 2 time trials ~ 1 in each lane and we went 4 rounds ~ We cut a .509 lite and ran 6.3600 on a 6.35 dial and lost by .0003 seconds! Thats racing! We are pretty happy about things now. THANK YOU ALL ~ I knew if we could kick this around most of you would see what we were doing wrong!