Old 08-07-2012, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefpontiac66 View Post
Sorry, as an after thought, I wasn't trying to take anything away from the car for sale. Just thought those two cars might give an indication as to what this car might bring when she is done.
Also a couple rag top 2+2's in Hemmings this month but are auto trans.
1 is a very nice, all orig 2 owner & sounds like a survivor car @ 15K, the other a full resto at 34K.
I think the market is soft for these big cars in any condition.

Old 08-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketer View Post
Well i think you are right! It will be interesting to see how these cars do,kinda give me an idea of what its worth,and demand for the big car. It is an interesting car,maybe I will build it for a auction ,who knows. There sure is alot of chrome and stainless on this beast. Can't imagine there is a nicer body out there .
As far as original to car motor, I haven't done date codes but it does have WH block .
Heads may be wrong as they are 670's,any one know if they made any 66's with 670's, guess anything is possible. Also still has long branch exhaust manifolds. How about the 421 emblem on radiator support??? Never seen that before.

Here are a few more pics and the original build sheet,also have the protecto plate.

Talk soon Rocketer
If I'm not mistaken, the WH code was for the 356HP / 4 speed motor. The sheet lists the L69 Tri Power Motor which I think would have been the HO, 376 HP motor (WJ code for 4 speed). The 670 heads are definitely not correct as a far as I know; would have been on 67 400/428's I think. Interesting that the big exhaust manifolds are on it becuase I dont beleive they were on the 356 HP motors unless they were on the 4 speed cars (?). As previsously noted, you will need to get casting number and date off the back of the block. A very intersting, unusal and rare car noentheless

Old 08-07-2012, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

356 hp had regular manifolds even on stick cars. 356hp and 376 car should have 093 heads

Old 08-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmoreilly View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the WH code was for the 356HP / 4 speed motor. The sheet lists the L69 Tri Power Motor which I think would have been the HO, 376 HP motor (WJ code for 4 speed). The 670 heads are definitely not correct as a far as I know; would have been on 67 400/428's I think. Interesting that the big exhaust manifolds are on it becuase I dont beleive they were on the 356 HP motors unless they were on the 4 speed cars (?). As previsously noted, you will need to get casting number and date off the back of the block. A very intersting, unusal and rare car noentheless
I think I might have been wrong with my L69 statement. I think L69 may indicate that it was a tri power motor with no other significnace beyond that. In that case, a WH 356HP motor would have been correct to this car, but teh 670 heads and long branch manifolds were not

Old 08-08-2012, 08:39 AM
Senior Chief

Default 66 pontiac

get p.h.s. and stop guessing! that will tell you everything you need to know! that would be the only way i would buy a pontiac car!!

Old 08-08-2012, 12:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred jernejec View Post
get p.h.s. and stop guessing! that will tell you everything you need to know! that would be the only way i would buy a pontiac car!!
That's interesting, I thought this board was for talking and exchanging thoughts / ideas which may involve "guessing" from time to time . That said, your comment is very much appreciated. Your command of the obvious is nothing short of overwhelming.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm sure this car has been PHS'd by more than a few guys, maybe one of them can clear the air or maybe the owner can clarify the engine option.

With GM, original engine is a big deal. i guess because it's easily figured out if true or false on a given car. With a rare car it does affect the value a fair amount in my opinion.

But the car still is one of the coolest things I have seen for sale this summer. I have three apart right now and promised no more projects until all others are done.....Otherwise I'd find a way....

Old 08-08-2012, 03:24 PM
Senior Chief

Well you can see that the valve covers are for late model('67 & up),that matches the '67 year heads, I bet the block is a 428...How many freeze plugs on the side of block?..if it has 3 you know that it's not a '66 block

Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

has hei too

Old 08-08-2012, 09:31 PM
Senior Chief

Default 66 pontiac

sorry for stating the obvious but if i was going to lay down 20k for a car that phs would be a deciding factor for me! i have owned a few of these big cars over the years four speed ragtops, bonnevilles and catalina 2 plus 2s so i do have some knowledge about these cars! some of members of this forum are quite knowledgeable and i learn alot then there are some that are not. sorry again for my very obvious statement!

Old 08-08-2012, 11:08 PM

Smile 66 factory 421 tri-power 4spd a/c convertible!!

Hi guys
Well at least we have something to talk about!!! It is a very unique car indeed!!Yes ,if you restore it the way I would you may have more than you can sell it for in your local newspaper,on the auction market ,who knows.

Maybe we will know more after the auction this weekend,although I have only seen pics of those cars,no docs so who knows how legit they are and after all they have new paint so what were they like before resto???? At least this one is solid and you can know what you will be starting with.

Well, you've all said the heads are wrong, I have never seen 670's on 66 cars either so they are probably wrong,I think the block is correct, I wish the car was in my back yard but it is 1/2 hour away,and very dirty,no, I am not going back over to look at the date codes,and block cast number. Next time I go over to look at this, I will have a deposit in hand ,and I will be towing it out of there to put it on a transport to send to the new buyer or if the cars this weekend show strong,maybe I will restore it.

Although I have suppiled the original build sheet ,I would like to give you the vin so if anyone is truley interested in this car,you should run the PHS yourself that way there can be no failure on my part. If I am buying a rare pontiac I always run the vin for me ,to know for sure it is as advertised. You can not be to careful,and we are so fortunante to have this option .
So here is the viv for all to see,let me know what you find.
2 -pontiac 62- bonniville 67 -convert 6 - year X -plant -kansas 177271

Hope this helps guys have fun with it .Have enjoyed the thread ,thanks for all the input,wish I had more to add!!

Old 08-09-2012, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You're gong to have to get the date codes on the block to sell it here. Otherwise you're wasting time. The guys here are too knowledgeable to go for your word esp when a lot of incorrect parts are already identified. WIth so few posts to this site you probably don't understand this, just trying to help your sale.

From what you told us and the pics provided it seems more like a late 80's "put together" car with a lot of stuff added and changed typical of that era. Then, these cars weren't very valuable and the correctness was not important to most buyers.

You may be suprised by the first guy that crawls inside the engine bay and tells you what you really have. From there the value plummets. To get a high dollar big car EVERYTHING needs to be correct and original.

For instance if it proves to be an original 389 4bbl auto car by phs, it's just a parts car worth about $4000. If original tripower with wrong engine, maybe $6000 provided it wasn't converted to stick as well. Sorry to remove the rose from your glasses but that's reality. Good luck with your sale and if it's not an original tripower 4 speed car, be careful advertising it as such...Guys get sued over stuff like that. You be careful too.

Last edited by Keith Vrabec; 08-09-2012 at 12:51 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:30 AM

Default 66 factory 4spd 421 tri-power factory a/c

If you are interested(which I doubt you are ) like I said , you now have the vin,run it.
I guess you are calling me a lier( when I posted the original build sheet) you must not believe it. It says 421 tri power 4spd air right on it or maybe you can't read.Be careful calling people a lier .
I enjoyed talking with most of you .
Rocketer

Old 08-09-2012, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You already told me enough about the car to confirm my intentions. Ifit's not worth the trip to prove what it is, it's not worth the same 1/2 hour trip to check it out. BTDT too many times. I don't recall accusing you of anything. You posted the pics that tell the story. So the car has the build sheet, what about the engine?

What's a lier?

Old 08-09-2012, 04:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

what do you believe the '65 will go for (from Russo and Steele) assuming non-original engine for now?

I have sent to them for information on it ...

I want a big car convertible and would love to see what it's going for and then I can look at this one here ... both nice cars!

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 08-09-2012, 08:49 AM
Suspended

I've been watching these cars for years and '62-'66 Bonnevilles, 2+2s, etc. no matter how nice or how equipped rarely go for more than $35K. Joe Evans dealt in '65/'66 2+2s for several years and got out of them because there was no money to be made in them. He sold a very very nice '66 2+2 coupe about two years ago for low 20s I think it was; the reddish maroon color, parchment interior, #s matching 421 tripower engine, 4 speed, posi car. I thought about buying it but had no room and while I like looking at them they are just a smidgen too big for my taste.

But as others have said that is a very neat car the way it is equipped and if someone who is really into them wanted to do a neat car that would be the one. Also as several have said it would cost a fortune to get it done so it had better be a car you are really into and plan to keep.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just wanted to check, i know per the rules, we should not be discussing the price, what we think of the car for sale, our opinions on your price and such per the rules of the for sale section unless it is ok with the person that posted the for sale item.

Are you ok with our discussion?

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 08-09-2012, 10:19 AM

Smile 66 bonniville factory 4spd 421 tri-power cvt

Hi Kieth
I'm pretty sure a lier is the same thing as a ifit's. Thanks for all your help it has really been great info,you've told me so much I didn't know. How many cars did you say you are working on and still aren't finished??

Any way I really don't know what these cars are worth but ,it will be fun to see these cars go through the auction.

Rocketer

Old 08-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My friend owns the '65 Bonneville. He askings almost 3x what your asking for your '66. Lets find out what he gets. I kinda hope he gets it. It helps us all for resale! Get the PHS. and all the info. Scott

Old 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM
Senior Chief

just recently sold my 65 2 plus 2 vert in spring mecum. did 50k. i really expected a bit more for it. cars were really falling short of reserves set. cal. auction might prove to be a little better. i should have taken it to florida mecum!! fred