Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-30-2021, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In terms of the suggestion in post number 18, Speedmaster does not offer a D port head like his exh is set up for.

While on the subject of those 3 tube headers the op is running , I don’t think I would spend any money on porting aftermarket heads unless I was shortly going to step up to 4 tube headers!

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 03-30-2021, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there an issue fitting 4 tube headers into '65s? I thought I heard that there was.

Old 03-30-2021, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,sent you a PM.Tom

Old 03-30-2021, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that a dome piston I see in there?

Unless you either have iron heads laying around, and don't mind spending some coin at a machine shop going through them, or you're a numbers guy, then I lean much more towards aluminum heads.

I wouldn't squabble over KRE or Edlebrock personally, but if I had to choose I'd probably lean on Edelbrock. I do like the fact that they helicoil the bolt holes.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 03-30-2021, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

4 tube headers are never easy on any D port Pontiac, but sometimes heating and bending up a long box wrench works wonders and saves your knuckles and the F word from blasting from your mouth every 20 seconds!

Old 03-30-2021, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
In terms of the suggestion in post number 18, Speedmaster does not offer a D port head like his exh is set up for.

While on the subject of those 3 tube headers the op is running , I don’t think I would spend any money on porting aftermarket heads unless I was shortly going to step up to 4 tube headers!
Good catch - go to SMH's and round-4tube's. lol.

Old 03-30-2021, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
If they're in Iowa that is a good place to deal with. I gave up after three clicks on their Website and not finding and address.
Nevada Iowa, right at the bottom of the page.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOLou View Post
Good catch - go to SMH's and round-4tube's. lol.
This is something to think about. If you want to think about changing to a 4 tube header, it opens up even further options for heads.

Old 03-30-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorta surprised knowone else noticed the odd cc’s the mechanic said the 96s heads were? I didn’t do the math, but it would take a lot off the head surface to get the d port 96cc head to 72cc.. I have a set of 96s that are 87cc and been milled .050”. The more you mill the less you gain, I am thinking .150” milling to get to 72 cc. That wouldn’t even seal a head gasket.

Might want to ask again about the intake port also, to get the intake port on an 96 d port to hold 215cc’s you would need to cut clear through the pushrod port and run a offset roller lifter and shaft rockers???? Not to mention hitting water jackets. Something isn’t right???

Lol. If the heads are as described...how much is shipping to Nebraska!

Nice sets of ported D ports are around that are WAY cheaper the an aluminum set. Call one of the head porters like SD performance or one of the other fellas on here and see what they have laying around. Or get some kre D port coming.

Unless of course your 96s are 1968 RA 2s! Which sounds like to me closer matches to the cc’ chamber numbers? Would be crazy not to get them fixed if that is the case. Three tube headers Obviously a d port though.

Last edited by Jay S; 03-30-2021 at 10:45 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 03-30-2021, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I upgraded to KRE 290 heads years ago. Best thing I ever did to the car, by FAR.

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude
Old 03-31-2021, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

The valves in Kauffman heads are placed in the heads, just like factory heads. Round port Edelbrock are not, I don’t know about the “D” port Edelbocks, though. Speaking of lining up with the piston valve reliefs.

If you do decide on Kauffman heads, I’d buy them from SD Performance, get the exact to version you want. Shipping from them would not be that bad. They are an awesome Pontiac vendor!

You might look for a part number on your piston tops, to be able to find out what the volume of your domes are, for accuracy.

The 3 tube headers do give up some horses, but nothing extreme. If you headers and exhaust system are in good shape, I’dLeave them....for now.

A set of 6X-8’s might be a great thing for this engine, there’s got to be a build able set somewhere close, they are one of the most common Pontiac heads ever made, And no one wants them.

Some of the stuff your mechanic said, don’t set too well with me....

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...

Last edited by 77 TRASHCAN; 03-31-2021 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm with Jay S and 77Trashcan - those numbers don't make sense. The port volume is way too big and the chamber volume is way too small. You sure they're not '68 #16s? Those would be round port exhaust though...

Old 03-31-2021, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I missed those details about the heads in that one post so let's nail down some facts about D port iron heads.

1) 5 sets out of 8 sets of 1971 casting number 96 heads that have passed thru my hands over the years that have been totally stock, they ( all 5 ) have CCed out on the high side of 98 CCs of chamber volume with stock valves.

This means you would need to mill .156" off of the deck to get them down to 72 CCs which can not be done and still have a head that would hold 16 psi of water pressure, no less holding a head gasket in place to contain cylinder pressure!!

2) your stated Intake port volume of 215 CCs ( 39% increase over stock) can not be achieved either!
It would take extensive and very costly welding repairs to do that.
At 192 CCs of volume if the heads where ported right to maximize flow, you would have grinded thru all 4 port walls in the runner and or valve bowl, period!

Get your cracked disassembled heads back from the shop and do this test out for us if you would?

See if the one of the exh valves will drop down into the intake bowl , all the way down so that it is sitting on top of the valve guide.

If so then you have the start of a heavily ported head.

Please report back with your findings! If

Last edited by steve25; 03-31-2021 at 06:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2021, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
The valves in Kauffman heads are placed in the heads, just like factory heads. Round port Edelbrock are not, I don’t know about the “D” port Edelbocks, though. Speaking of lining up with the piston valve reliefs.

If you do decide on Kauffman heads, I’d buy them from SD Performance, get the exact to version you want. Shipping from them would not be that bad. They are an awesome Pontiac vendor!

You might look for a part number on your piston tops, to be able to find out what the volume of your domes are, for accuracy.

The 3 tube headers do give up some horses, but nothing extreme. If you headers and exhaust system are in good shape, I’dLeave them....for now.

A set of 6X-8’s might be a great thing for this engine, there’s got to be a build able set somewhere close, they are one of the most common Pontiac heads ever made, And no one wants them.

Some of the stuff your mechanic said, don’t set too well with me....
Totally agree on getting KRE's from SD, treated me very well with info.

Yeah that machanic said a few things that caused

Best of luck with this Chris.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 03-31-2021, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I'm with Jay S and 77Trashcan - those numbers don't make sense. The port volume is way too big and the chamber volume is way too small. You sure they're not '68 #16s? Those would be round port exhaust though...
68 #16's are D port heads, I agree though that the current engine builder is offering some major inconsistencies and the OP may need to find new builder.

Edit - Best of luck Chris, you'll get it figured out, plenty of help roun here.

Frank

Last edited by 4zpeed; 03-31-2021 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

RA II heads you say?
68 1/2 RAII heads are Round port exh and there is no such thing as a 3 tube header like the op is currently running for those heads.

The Following User Says Thank You to steve25 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2021, 05:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4zpeed View Post
68 #16's are D port heads, I agree though that the current engine builder is offering some major inconsistencies and the OP may need to find new builder.

Edit - Best of luck Chris, you'll get it figured out, plenty of help roun here.

Frank
Yeah, that was a major typo. He has #96 heads, which in '68 were round ports. That's what I was referring to but somehow managed to type '16'. Only thing that could explain that chamber volume, but the port volume and headers still don't make sense.

Old 03-31-2021, 06:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Well, let's assume that the mechanic actually measured the CC's correctly and accurately delivered that information. Wouldn't a head milled that far and ported that large by a pretty good indicator of why both of the heads cracked?

On the 3 tube header deal, I get the feeling that the OP really just wants to get this thing back on the road and not spend massive amounts doing it. The 3 tube header will give up some power to a proper 4 tube, but at the end of the day he's probably going to make more power with this deal than he had before, and he's already stated he's just looking to get about the same amount of power back.

No real need I don't think to get rid of those, especially because they do tend to fit and install easier on a D-port than a true 4 tube design.

I like a a mild ported KRE-D with a change to 1.65 rockers on his current cam and a port matched performer rpm. That's just my opinion and how I'd probably do it anyway.

The only issue right now with getting a KRE head, (direct or third party) is that it's spring, everyone is in upgrade and maintenance mode and it may take longer to get than the edelbrock D port.

Old 03-31-2021, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
If they're in Iowa that is a good place to deal with. I gave up after three clicks on their Website and not finding and address.
While their website is indeed comically outdated, poorly designed, and contains typos, the address you couldn't find is listed at the bottom of all pages within their website.

1700 West "F" Avenue, Nevada, IA 50201

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 03-31-2021, 07:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLMounce View Post
Well, let's assume that the mechanic actually measured the CC's correctly and accurately delivered that information. Wouldn't a head milled that far and ported that large by a pretty good indicator of why both of the heads cracked?
If we assume that is true we would have to also assume the intake was milled also in order to fit properly, correct?