Old 11-01-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Buddy of mine sold about 4 months ago a W72 TATA with 1900 miles,absolutely mint, for 38.5k

1968 442-gone but not forgotten
"Oh,you can think about it,.....but don't do it!"
Sheriff Bufford T.Justice
Old 11-01-2011, 10:41 PM

another point of reference, regarding values for 1979 TATA, L78, W72, WS6, low mileage original survivors....! Sure, many can argue the '79' Y84, W72, WS6 TAs has lower production #s (i.e. approx. 1,200). Well, 1,817 '79' TATA, W72 is still considered low production. No way of confirming (and I asked Jim Mattison) exact #s of high quality, original surviors still exist.

Either way, both are very low production car's, hence their desirability with Pontiac enthusiasts.

Mine is for SALE....$34k OBO. She is a no less than $30k car, all day long. Of course, the old adage, "only worth what someone is willing to pay."

Tom

Old 11-02-2011, 08:59 AM

4 months ago, the value of unmolested, low mileage, survivor, W72, WS6 TAs were different than value's today. IMO, the value's (due to the whims of the economy) have pulled back a bit. That said, $28-35k (dependent on model, equipment, condition, documentation, mileage) is the current norm. Of course, we are in off-season mode, so that adds to the slow movement of these car's. Again, IMO.

By the way, I cannot stress enough, the value associated with unmolested, original, low mileage survivors, with proper documentation. I place a slightly higher value to these car's, than frame-on or frame-off restored car's. As the old saying goes, "only original once".....!

Old 11-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennellTA View Post
4 months ago, the value of unmolested, low mileage, survivor, W72, WS6 TAs were different than value's today. IMO, the value's (due to the whims of the economy) have pulled back a bit. That said, $28-35k (dependent on model, equipment, condition, documentation, mileage) is the current norm. Of course, we are in off-season mode, so that adds to the slow movement of these car's. Again, IMO.

By the way, I cannot stress enough, the value associated with unmolested, original, low mileage survivors, with proper documentation. I place a slightly higher value to these car's, than frame-on or frame-off restored car's. As the old saying goes, "only original once".....!
...........I completely agree withyour statement on unmolested low mile survivor TA's,especially the 77-79 W72's,..........now the 70-73 bad boys are a whole nother ball of wax,or should I say,.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Old 11-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennellTA View Post
Of course, the old adage, "only worth what someone is willing to pay."
That's exactly where I come down on this. If nobody wants it then it can't be worth anywhere near the prices that people are thinking that is should be worth.

I've still got the car and don't need to dump it at a rock-bottom price so it just sits parked in the garage most of the time. It'll be going up on jackstands for the winter soon. At least I'll be forced to get out and drive it once more to fill up the tank with fresh gas & fuel stabilizer.

Scott

Old 11-03-2011, 12:23 PM

Scott,

IMO...molested, altered, modified TATAs will most likely be looked at differently than original, survivor, unmolested TATAs. Hence, the price points will differ.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
That's exactly where I come down on this. If nobody wants it then it can't be worth anywhere near the prices that people are thinking that is should be worth.

I've still got the car and don't need to dump it at a rock-bottom price so it just sits parked in the garage most of the time. It'll be going up on jackstands for the winter soon. At least I'll be forced to get out and drive it once more to fill up the tank with fresh gas & fuel stabilizer.

Scott

Pontiac 400 engine, Hurst 4-speed
PHS documentation, (2) Build-sheets
Old 11-12-2011, 11:44 AM

Somebody was asking for interior pics so I uploaded some to my Flickr account.

Old 11-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom[/QUOTE]

Just an opinion,but I have been told not store these cars on jack stands,not good for the subframe...yes the issue of tire rot and flat spots..........leave on ground with carpet remnents under tires,I have a piece the size of the car on my garage concrete floor,never had a problem and did it for years,JMHO.

Old 11-12-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father&Son73T/A View Post

Just an opinion,but I have been told not store these cars on jack stands,not good for the subframe...yes the issue of tire rot and flat spots..........leave on ground with carpet remnents under tires,I have a piece the size of the car on my garage concrete floor,never had a problem and did it for years,JMHO.

Thanks for the tip. Certainly makes putting it away for the winter and getting ready for spring much easier

Old 11-26-2011, 12:25 AM

Larry, Still smokin rubber with your old 455 HO.,,,,, Lookin for a auto a/c car,,,,might trade the 79T/A 4sp. Later Wayne

Old 12-08-2011, 10:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I kinda think these are a little funny as collector cars. I've got one - a 400/4speed TATA. Not as nice as yours.

They didn't make many of these - but they were expensive and a significant percentage of the ones that were made were protected and put away. Hence, they are low production, but really not super rare. I think this hurts the price. Just, MHO.

Old 02-28-2012, 02:45 PM

In case anyone might be looking, the car is still available.

Old 02-29-2012, 08:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the economy has something to do with it as well as price
sometimes i often ask myself are these cars really worth their price???? especially when you don't know the person or about the car, it's a gamble, at least in my eyes

let's face it... these new cars now as just simply awesome when you think about it
i LOVE the older cars, but man if you don't have connections now-a-days for things like paint, engines, trans, etc... it's expensive
add into that the possiblity if you lost your job

me... when i see these cars i'm in love with them, but for the $$ when it comes down to it, things like a C6 vette start hitting that price range

however, keep in mind... there are ALOT of people out there with $$
also season's play a part too
remember its still winter, the spring time bug hasn't hit

looks like a nice car though
kindda hard to not want to molest it which we know devalues the car

Old 02-29-2012, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
me... when i see these cars i'm in love with them, but for the $$ when it comes down to it, things like a C6 vette start hitting that price range
If you see a C6 Vette for $20k please let me know

Old 02-29-2012, 01:59 PM

Scott,

Haven't you had this car at the Nats a time or two?

Thought I remembered some people I know saying they had seen the car in person, and it's "as described."

Good luck with the sale.

Mark

Old 02-29-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumarkhood View Post
Scott,

Haven't you had this car at the Nats a time or two?

Thought I remembered some people I know saying they had seen the car in person, and it's "as described."

Good luck with the sale.

Mark
Nope, wasn't me. I haven't had the pleasure of attending.

Old 02-29-2012, 05:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Your gonna sell your W72 TATA for a Bic lighter?

Old 03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
If you see a C6 Vette for $20k please let me know
keep your eye
they are now in the upper 20s, know some that paid low 20's as well
as soon as the C7's come out, the 6's will start their tanking process even more, especially LS2 ones

i like my wife's 05 alot, which has tempted me to getting one, but i need one with gears, not an auto

not to mention, they are SUPER easy to work on and such an abundant aftermarket too

i still love my 79
but getting great quality parts is getting harder and harder to find
all these OEM restoration parts are junk (in my opinion especially compared to original oem)

i came so close to buying a museum 79 10th car last year, but glad we get her vette instead

Old 04-08-2012, 09:42 AM

TATA is still available if anyone's interested.