THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-04-2021, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I try never to get trapped in my own world .. like the NYC reporter who on hearing Nixon won the election said " How did Nixon win? I don't know a single person that voted for him"

We are now the exception to the rule on this forum. We actually like cars and driving and consider driving an actual activity we have to participate in .... we are the minority. Someday we'll look around and everyone will in their electro-pods and we'll say ... "How did this happen, I don't know anyone that would buy one of those"
This is very true. I love technology and want to learn about it, experience it and even try to understand it. That said, I have no interest in owning it. I can see many benefits to these systems, including safety. I would take Autopilot or Super Cruise any day over the majority of morons driving on the roads today, texting, watching videos, talking on the phone, reading a book, putting on makeup or any one of the other distractions they are involved with. But as other have stated, I love to drive and enjoy being in control of my machine.
But I can see the benefit of completely autonomous vehicles. Think of the mobility handicapped or even blind people could gain with these cars. It could really open up the world to them. Get in, program where you want to go on a braille keypad and push the go button. It lets you know when you arrive at your destination.

Old 12-04-2021, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

I'm glad that I am the age I am. It sounds like it will be at least 20 years before self driving cars are the norm. If things go as planed I will be 92 and the kids will be wondering how to get me to surrender my license. I will just buy a self driving car (or convert one of my classic cars) and continue my life.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 12-04-2021, 11:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just a matter of time.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 12-05-2021, 01:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The "infrastructure" bill trying to make it's way through congress right now includes a mandatory requirement for auto makers to incorporate a "kill switch" in all vehicles that monitors driver performance for impairment of any kind and will shut down the vehicle.

Not sure how it would be implemented, but it is there.

Old 12-05-2021, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

People who don't know how to drive always wish someone else will drive.

People who do know how to drive always want to drive for themselves.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 12-05-2021, 01:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Being a huge GMC guy, that commercial is painful to watch. I change the channel every time it comes on, not just because it's absolutely stupid, but because I get second hand embarrassment from it. lol

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 12:56 PM

I think that commercial is better then the tailgate one they had. A bunch of people carrying their tailgates to a mountain top. Ford has been kicking your tail in truck sales and you are going to win customers back by showing how great the tailgate is??????????
I would love a self driving car and think it would be great for long trips. All these yahoos that have moved into CO lately make driving frustrating and dangerous. The yahoos will cross two lanes of traffic to make their exit or they will dart in and out of traffic just to get one or two car lengths ahead.

Old 12-06-2021, 02:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I think that commercial is better then the tailgate one they had. A bunch of people carrying their tailgates to a mountain top. Ford has been kicking your tail in truck sales and you are going to win customers back by showing how great the tailgate is??????????
I would love a self driving car and think it would be great for long trips. All these yahoos that have moved into CO lately make driving frustrating and dangerous. The yahoos will cross two lanes of traffic to make their exit or they will dart in and out of traffic just to get one or two car lengths ahead.
Not to be “that guy” but you hi light exactly why it’s a BAD idea.
Ever been buzzing along with the cruise on and have it kick off because of an ass hat cutting in, only to cause havoc from your sudden brake light less deceleration? Yea I get the whole “cruise shouldn’t be used in traffic “ bit but how is that any worse than auto drive?
PLUS GM can’t even make a friggen third light gasket that doesn’t destroy your 65k investment every time you go through a carwash. How the hell would you trust a snowflake programmer??

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's

Last edited by lfdsteve; 12-06-2021 at 02:45 PM.
Old 12-06-2021, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfdsteve View Post
Not to be “that guy” but you hi light exactly why it’s a BAD idea.
Ever been buzzing along with the cruise on and have it kick off because of an ass hat cutting in, only to cause havoc from your sudden brake light less deceleration? Yea I get the whole “cruise shouldn’t be used in traffic “ bit but how is that any worse than auto drive?
PLUS GM can’t even make a friggen third light gasket that doesn’t destroy your 65k investment every time you go through a carwash. How the hell would you trust a snowflake programmer??

Don't worry, people will follow the rules and use the technology as intended and our software engineers are the best in the world.

https://youtu.be/_47utWAoupo

Old 12-06-2021, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Fundamentally ...people that don't want to be driving ... shouldn't be driving. They should take a train, or bus, or plane. That's kinda what those things are for.

You probably don't want someone that doesn't want to be a doctor ... you know, being a doctor

Old 12-06-2021, 05:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Fundamentally ...people that don't want to be driving ... shouldn't be driving. They should take a train, or bus, or plane. That's kinda what those things are for.

You probably don't want someone that doesn't want to be a doctor ... you know, being a doctor
That said, to be fair, they need to hire and pay fair wages to anyone that wants to be a doctor, whether or not they actually become doctors. It’s a millennial thing but off topic

236 244@ .050 108 LSA .511 lift, duration 289,297 @.oo6
Edelbrock Aluminum 87cc round port heads Larger valves ,ported polished and cut
Powerjection3,T2 manifold, Try-y’s
Flowcooler water pump.
71 formula with TKO600,hydraulic clutch 3.42 posi and 26 inch tire.
17x9 YO Honeycombs with Nitto 555's
Old 12-08-2021, 01:44 PM

Working in the tech support field for that last 20 years - why I own a 50 year old Pontiac.......

Old 12-08-2021, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Strange that no manufacturer has gone the simple route. No way around an ECU of course ( I don't think) to hit emission requirements. Something like my old straight six Maverick ... it had NOTHING. Basically the only luxury was a heater. No power anything, no automatic anything (cept the trans), the thing was bullet proof and super reliable, and if it did break, usually cost about $30 to fix. Course you'd have to add air bags.

But no one would buy a car like this ... so it's not really the manufacturers fault, it's us.

Old 12-13-2021, 06:49 PM

Quote:

Short of an asteroid hitting the planet the entire population will be state sponsored mindless drones in fifty years, whoever wrote the movie Idiocracy should have won the Noble Peace Prize for fortune telling.
It was Mike Judge, wasn't it? The guy who wrote Beavis and Butthead. I say all the time, you only have to watch the first 5 minutes of Idiocracy to see what is wrong with the country today.

I rememer reading a story in Car Craft, or Hot Rod magazine 40 years ago, 1980 or 81 I think..... it said that the car companies in the future will seal the hoods so we cant work on the cars. The end of the shadetree mechanic. People were outraged, like the whole "from my cold dead hand" crap. But, if you think about it,.. they did just that with new cars, but they did it with electronics. Ya gotta have the diagnostics equipment.

Old 12-14-2021, 12:13 PM

People have been talking about the demise of car performance for years. The introduction of unleaded gas, catalytic convertors and fuel injection all were predicted to spell the doom of the performance car industry. Cars have only gotten faster, better handling, better gas mileage and more creature comforts. There is just a few car companies that offer technology of hands free driving so gas vehicles are not doomed just yet. Electric cars were first invented in the 1900's and gas vehicles have survived till now.
So the real people who love to drive cars are you driving on bias ply tires, drum brakes no brake booster, manual choke, hand crank start, hand signals, manual transmission, strong arm steering and gas fueled boiler for heating. Now that is what I call driving no modern amenities. What is with all these new fangled gadgets

Old 12-14-2021, 07:38 PM
Senior Chief

That old Maverick would never pass the crash standards or emission standards now. Old technology was simpler but it did not work as well. I think people forget how bad the cars back then, brand new, actually drove. They hesitated and stumbled and stalled, were hard starting and ran on. I love the old cars for their style but I love the new performance technology. I can do without some of the "safety" technology though.

Old 12-14-2021, 08:47 PM

Has anyone seen the Nissan commercial with the "curve" feature? Unbelievable. Technology to help me navigate a slight curve in the road. No thanks. Not yet, anyway.