Old 07-14-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
It's either been replaced with a '70-71, or has been altered via vinyl repair guy, or has a $100 shell type cover, or has one of several different company's vacuum molded replacement dashes.
It's not a cap, and it looks to be quite old. Oh well.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
It's not a cap, and it looks to be quite old. Oh well.
Makes sense with you being up north and there having been a higher supply of used soft dash asm's for many years. It's a good possibility, the black pebble grain dash bezel came with the '70-71 style dash. Both of them could have easily came out of a '70 Tempest/ '70 T-37, or '71 T-37. When one peels a woodgrain viny appliqué off a bezel, there is usually residue of the previous adhesive to deal with, not that easy to get off. Btw, someone has added the GTO emblems on the custom trim level doorpanels. originally those emblems were used with the standard '72 door panels, instead of the standard '72 doorpanels LeMans emblems.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Makes sense with you being up north and there having been a higher supply of used soft dash asm's for many years. It's a good possibility, the black pebble grain dash bezel came with the '70-71 style dash. Both of them could have easily came out of a '70 Tempest/ '70 T-37, or '71 T-37. When one peels a woodgrain viny appliqué off a bezel, there is usually residue of the previous adhesive to deal with, not that easy to get off.
Actually, this car was in Oklahoma up until 2007. The paintjob was done in 2007 when it was brought to NY. The guy I bought it from only had it 1 year and he told me he peeled the woodgrain off the dash last summer (There is still some glue residue) as it was falling down. So likely the incorrect rear spoiler, the dash, and the wrong console were put in the car 8 years ago when it was "restored". It also looks like someone tried to put in a new headliner and failed, as it is falling down, and is missing some parts in the rear corners of the package tray. They also didn't put the shoulder harness clips back on.

I did an autocheck.com report on the VIN and this car has been driven ~4800 miles since 1988.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it originally a white car, if so I believe I was aquainted the owner in Oklahoma up till the mid 00's, his name was Stan. Stan sold the '72 I'm thinking of to a fellow from east side of the state, believe Muskogee.

Old 07-14-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Was it originally a white car, if so I believe I was aquainted the owner in Oklahoma up till the mid 00's, his name was Stan. Stan sold the '72 I'm thinking of to a fellow from east side of the state, believe Muskogee.
Quazel gold.

Here is the PHS docs: http://i.imgur.com/GwK9KL8.jpg

Old 07-14-2015, 03:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thx for the putting up the PHS. The Car is equipped the exact same way, and the timeline fits. I just remember Stan's '72 being painted white through the 90's- mid 00's, had early heads, and an Ivory bucket seat interior. Stan showed up at my home once in the late 90's , and I had the original blue doorpanels out of my '71 Judge on a work table in the garage, had been working on the cardboard lwr backing board. Stan started going after me to sell him one of the swirled door panel emblems off the '71 door panel and I didn't want to do it, but in a moment of being out of my mind, ended up relinquishing, he had a few years before in a cash bind, named the price and I met him up the interstate to buy a '71-72 455 HO breather and top plate, as his car didn't come with it.

Last edited by 'ol Pinion head; 07-14-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-14-2015, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a original owner car...

http://oneownercollectorcar.com/inde...to-bill-nawrot

Has nice documentation and is on here quite often. YNOBIL

Old 07-14-2015, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
k..i believe the white console thing..ive just seen them both ways
I wouldn't lie to ya buddy - wouldn't even try.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 07-14-2015, 06:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i know..we goot....

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 07-14-2015, 07:00 PM

So, from the factory, were the colored consoles painted or were they colored plastic? What about the vinyl on the console door? I ordered a new console door and liner today. I'm not concerned about getting the interior back to specification, so I am fine with a black console for now.

I guess my next concern is the steering wheel. It has a really bulky covering over the grip, and I want to remove it but what is underneath is pretty nasty foam. What did this sport steering wheel look like new, was it leather wrapped, vinyl wrapped or just molded foam rubber?

Old 07-16-2015, 05:51 AM

I looked at my console more closely, it is just black plastic, no grain pattern molded in. Was this originally covered with white vinyl?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

White vinyl and you're missing box insert too. It is plastic with felt inside. I think just dashes will do in vinyl too. They seem better these days?

Old 07-16-2015, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge273 View Post
White vinyl and you're missing box insert too. It is plastic with felt inside. I think just dashes will be vinyl them too.
I've dealt with Just Dashes before, they did my 66 Chevelle dash pad. Though they had to do it twice because the first time they messed it up...

Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Corrected my typing. Not sure what happened between typing and not enough coffee...

They seem to be better lately but, still pricey.

Personally, I would find a nice original and dye it with SEM white.

I did my whole interior in my old 72. As OPH stated the hard plastic pieces yellow over time.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
They seem to be better lately but, still pricey.
They are VERY pricey yes. It's been a looong time since I painted vinyl. I did some of that on my fathers boat seats way back when, the results were not what I'd be hoping for on this car. Maybe these days the products are much better? SEM is the best quality?

My Chevelle project: https://imgur.com/a/v2PHi#0
Old 07-16-2015, 10:34 AM

What trim piece would go here? http://i.imgur.com/0CyvXEc.jpg

Old 07-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car. Very interesting thread on the Chevelle site also. Congrats on the purchase. I'm a member over there also by the way...

Old 07-16-2015, 08:53 PM

Ok, so I fixed the backup lights, the issue was someone must have plugged it into the switch blind, as one of the spade connectors was bent and on the outside of the connector, I straightened that out, plugged it back in and now have backup lights, nice easy fix.

Next I loosened up the Pypes exhaust downpipe on the passenger side, and was able to move the downpipe over enough to get the vacuum modulator hose on so it is about 1/4" away from the exhaust, so that is good to go.

I was about to take the car out for my first test run, and checked the oil level. It was about 2-3 quarts over the full mark. I noted the part number on the dipstick as 400714. All my Googling shows that is for a 1968 400-455. Would that be the same dipstick for a 72 400 Pontiac engine? The oil looks brand new, but I supposed I should drain it and do an oil change. A 72 Pontiac 400 takes 6 quarts with the oil filter?

Last edited by etd66ss; 07-16-2015 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I do believe there were four steering wheels available in '72. the standard, deluxe, sport, and formula. some one correct me if I'm wrong, please.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72 standard steering wheel.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	402982   Click image for larger version

Name:	72 delux steering wheel.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	402983   Click image for larger version

Name:	72 sport steering wheel.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	402984   Click image for larger version

Name:	72 formula steering wheel.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	67.5 KB
ID:	402985  

Old 07-17-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Meaney View Post
I do believe there were four steering wheels available in '72. the standard, deluxe, sport, and formula. some one correct me if I'm wrong, please.
From the research I have done, the only ones that were factory options were the standard and sport. It seems many liked to put the formula wheel on GTO's. I've read the 3 spoke never came on any 72's. However, I'm getting all my information from some random articles and forum posts on the internet...