Old 05-24-2010, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good luck with the carb. A good QJet runs very nicely on our cars. I replaced an Edelbrock with a QJet on and otherwise stockish 400 and it was a big improvement; both performance AND economy improved noticeably.

As for the Ram Air stuff, here's some pics. Entire setup is repop, fits quite well. Scoops needed minor trimming to fit my hood (RA hood, no trimming), the lower pan needed some massage to clear the accelerator pump arm on the QJet.

Intake is a Performer RPM, about 1.5" higher than the stock intake, trimmed the foam a little and tweaked some.

This is all on a '70,

HTH,

Stu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	146.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	207291   Click image for larger version

Name:	150.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	207292  

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 05-28-2010, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was an article in the last few years about dyno tests on intakes and it was surprising how the 68-71 standard iron 4 bbl intake did. It outperformed the aftermarket units and the factory aluminum unit from the round port engines.

The only caveat is that this is for more or less stock street engines, different situation with highly modified engines.

1969 LeMans (2dr & 4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 LeMans Safari wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 ht & Judge ht)
1969 Cat (3 Cvt’s & 2dr ht)
1969 Ventura wagon 2 seat
1969 Exec 4dr post
1969 Bonnie Cvt & 2 wagons
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr ht & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix 2 SJ’s
1969 2+2 2dr ht (Canadian)
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM

Was doing some searching and dug up this old thread. Evil Stu had mentioned running an Rpm intake on a "70" and got it to work trimming the foam and doing some "tweaking". I am installing same setup on a 69 Gto "rpm intake / Holley and aftermarket Ram Air setup from Warpath "nice kit". Looks like top of air filter lid is hitting on ram air pan has anyone had to do some mods to upper pan to gain clearance. Shorter filter is not an option using 2in already.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:59 PM

Thread resurrection...

Stu/Dwgto - how much clearance do you have front and back above your air cleaner with the RPM intake? I'm pondering trying this with a KRE Northwind... more clearance at the back & less at the front;
http://www.tinindianperformance.com/...-measurements/

Old 04-24-2017, 05:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Simon,

I guess the answer is, just enough. I did need to go from a largish aftermarket wingnut on the carb stud (the one in the pic) to a small stock one because the big one touched the bottom of the Ram Air pan. Air cleaner lid does not touch. Close spot is the fron center of the air cleaner lid (pretty much where the sticker is but a little closer to the center stud), back has lots of clearance.

1970 GTO, 455+.034", 0 deck, Wiseco's, Eagle rods, 60919, Rhoads, E-Heads, 1.65 Scorpions, RPM, Custom Qjet by Cliff, Doug's 1 7/8", THM 400, Gear Vendors OD, 3.55s.........Her name is Blandorf; after a girl I knew once, 'cause she's just Bitchin, always.
Old 04-24-2017, 06:03 PM

Thank Stu, I had not expected that. I guess the air cleaner lid has quite a dome to it.
Is there any chance you could do the scrunched up aluminium foil ball thing to check clearance at the front edge of the air cleaner please?
Would probably need a flatter lid with the Northwind.