THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-27-2020, 06:04 PM
Senior Chief

mine is a model se the same as most of the thirty or so that they have on the lot for that year with the lowest being 52.000 miles. yeah for some reason they are keeping the fusion. i heard that the lincoln uses the same chassis

Old 04-27-2020, 06:47 PM
Suspended

I haven't followed Lincoln for a few years now. I know they used to use the same platform for their MKZ but don't know if they still do. Is yours a 4 or a 6 cylinder? The SE Fusion is one trim level up from base, dealers are loaded with those because they can put people in them from all walks of life and financial status. Big with sub-prime buyers because the dealers can get people funded. I would still put a Fusion up against a Camry in all aspects. Fusions are good cars.

Old 04-27-2020, 07:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the good ideas guys. I am trying to get him to just sit tight. I agree dealers just have to be hurting at some point soon. He is willing to travel to get it too. He would buy a plane ticket, fly to wherever, buy the car and bring it home. He knows what he wants though. Not like they are rare or anything. Just a GT premium in one of several colors with the equivalent of a drag pack they call the special performance package. There are plenty of them out there. On a 45K car in these economic times, he should be able to get 5-6K off sticker. There is a ton of fat in those cars. At 45K, 15K is in options that have a higher mark up. But if you have cash burning a hole in your wallet.............!

Old 04-27-2020, 07:51 PM
Senior Chief

Just finished talking to my neighbour who is a finance writer at one of the local dealerships. Last month they laid off a few of the newer salespeople and he said they normally sell 80units in April but only have 12 so far. He knows the general sales manager at one of the big Ford dealerships here. They normally do 130 units in April and have sold 10 so far.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Just finished talking to my neighbour who is a finance writer at one of the local dealerships. Last month they laid off a few of the newer salespeople and he said they normally sell 80units in April but only have 12 so far. He knows the general sales manager at one of the big Ford dealerships here. They normally do 130 units in April and have sold 10 so far.
Interesting. But yet around here the two dealers he went to want sticker or close, are not willing to even do a dealer trade for the right car, and the guy is standing there with a wad of cash that won't fit in his pocket! Go figure. I told him HE is in the drivers seat and just wait it out.

Old 04-27-2020, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

mine is the 2.5 4 cylinder. my wife has the 2018 escape eco boost and no where near the power or gas mileage as the fusion. the list on mine new was 25.000. the 2020 is 34.000

Old 04-27-2020, 09:00 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gp400 View Post
mine is the 2.5 4 cylinder. my wife has the 2018 escape eco boost and no where near the power or gas mileage as the fusion. the list on mine new was 25.000. the 2020 is 34.000
That could be the difference in dollars. Theirs are likely V6's.

Old 04-27-2020, 09:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mgarblik, if your friend is letting the dealers know up front that he's a cash buyer, that right there kills his negotiating powers.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
mgarblik, if your friend is letting the dealers know up front that he's a cash buyer, that right there kills his negotiating powers.
Not sure of his approach, I haven't been going with him. I will mention this next time we talk. I spoke to him earlier this afternoon and he said a local dealer did actually call him back and they have a car that meets his requirements. BUT it is a new 2019 leftover. $7500.00 off sticker. He is thinking about it. Being a leftover is not a big issue with him as he will keep it 10-15 years and the depreciation will be gone anyway. He will be an old guy in 15 years! It's a nice looking car, I saw it on-line. Red exterior/Black interior.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This video confirms what I learned working for car dealers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLxVyeFmod8

Old 04-27-2020, 10:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Not sure of his approach, I haven't been going with him. I will mention this next time we talk. I spoke to him earlier this afternoon and he said a local dealer did actually call him back and they have a car that meets his requirements. BUT it is a new 2019 leftover. $7500.00 off sticker. He is thinking about it. Being a leftover is not a big issue with him as he will keep it 10-15 years and the depreciation will be gone anyway. He will be an old guy in 15 years! It's a nice looking car, I saw it on-line. Red exterior/Black interior.
$7500.00 off on a leftover isn't a bad deal if he buys now.

Old 04-27-2020, 10:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always tell people not to deal down from sticker - find the invoice price and deal up from there. Argue about how much profit you’ll give them - not over the “discount” they’re giving you.

Old 04-27-2020, 11:48 PM

I live in Upstate N.Y. and the car dealers just reopened late last week. They closed in mid March, except for their service departments.They ran commercials on local TV stating you could buy over the phone or the dealers web site. Once the deal was made you could get home delivery or pick up at the dealer.
The local Chevy, BMW, Toyota dealer near my house just moved their inventory back onto the lots. You couldn't even go window shopping as all the cars were moved to fenced in lots.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

A month ago was going through the new car dealer/newer truck game with my son. After looking for near a month & calling on at near a dozen 2018 & 2019 F150 Lariat 4x4's, as well as Limited 4x4's, a few dealers were actually dealing. The reason being, as customers bought new 2020 model trucks with 0 percent/84 month financing offers, dealers caught a few such customers & didnt give as much for their late model trade in's.

Shockingly, a few dealers were actually passing the savings on, though with majority, the games were definitely being played. One thing I noticed was several what id consider really good deals appeared at the end of the month, but first day of April, those used truck deals disappeared. My son ended up in a 20K mile 2018 F150 Lariat Sport 4x4 crew cab w the big Ecoboost. 2" lift, 35's, black wheels. Just what he wanted, & we felt he got a good deal on it. Have no crystal ball on what the next 90 days are going to bring at the dealerships, effects of low oil prices will keep many locals from buying new in my area. If you listen to the silliness that is John Clay Wolfe on Sat mornings on his syndicated radio show, as a massive volume wholesaler he flat out will state how much less he's giving on late model trucks & cars as compared to 60 days ago.

Old 04-28-2020, 07:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69gp400 View Post
chief they still make the fusion and i understand its a 2015 which are still advertised on the same lot for 15.900 and i get offered 8000.00 and they wouldn"t budge on the explorer which is 15.000 more, hey i have the means so i"ll go elsewhere
They did a refresh on the styling in 2019 and are keeping the Fusion through the 2020 model year. They may continue to build some models until some time in 2021 in Mexico.

From Car & Driver back in 2019:

"A Ford spokesperson told C/D that there are still "a couple more years" left for the Fusion, meaning that production at its plant in Hermosillo, Mexico, will continue until sometime in 2021."

Old 04-28-2020, 07:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
How about $9,000 off a 2020?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...pricingDetails

It's an automatic Premium GT automatic in black. I don't know what the "drag pack" is so maybe this doesn't meet his requirements.

Old 04-28-2020, 08:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'm so ready for the black wheels fad to be over.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 04-28-2020, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
How about $9,000 off a 2020?

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...pricingDetails

It's an automatic Premium GT automatic in black. I don't know what the "drag pack" is so maybe this doesn't meet his requirements.
Thank you for finding that. I will send it on to him. That's a nice looking car at a good price. I don't think it has the "special performance package". Not sure. I called it a drag pack, my words. Ford calls it special performance package. It has allot of goodies in it and is an expensive option. Some of the items are, larger radiator, larger calipers and rotors, larger battery, extra instrumentation, 3.73:1 axle ratio with Thorsen limited slip, electronic launch control, shocked tuned for drag racing, and a bunch of other little stuff. You know if this will be his last performance car, he should get what he wants. Thanks again for the tip. I will have him check it out. A one way plane ticket from Dayton, OH to FL is only $69.00 right now.

Old 04-28-2020, 09:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dealers want you to finance through them cause they get a chunk of the interest on the loan.
They where not happy when wife and I got a personal loan at a lower rate they offered from the same credit union.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 04-28-2020, 10:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow

I bought a truck last year, and I found on couple year old used ones, that people wanted too close to new range pricing, and I think it may be due to what they owe, maybe. So like someone else said, for me, the few grand more got me new.

My take is new car buying has to slow down over next few months. There sure could be a glut of 2020's to sell still, when the 2021's come out in just 4 months. I would leverage on a 2020 in fall. Have funds lined up and go play walk away, I don't care, here's my offer you don't want to take, hardball.