Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2010, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprdave4264 View Post
Dear Jerry and Greg:
I apologize for offending your sensibilities for not using the 'proper procedure.' After rechecking the catalog, I have to inform you that nowhere does it say 'go online and PM the owner.' Don't get me wrong, I do appreciate that they provide the opportunity to share feedback (no matter the resolution of my situation), but I don't think that your posts were relevant - I did attempt to resolve the issue privately before posting.
Well, I for one was never even nearly offended, sensibilities or otherwise...I was simply making an attempt to clarify what I THINK Jerry was saying.
I'll take your response as a "butt out" command though, which I am now doing.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am probably biased because I have bought from PY, I hang out on their forums and I have partaken of their hospitality at Norwalk. Sometimes things go awry. Reading how problems have happened and been resolved in the past leads me to think PY handles these situations with class. That said I also know what it is like dealing with customers. Sometimes, no matter what you do, you can't satisfy them.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
Well, I for one was never even nearly offended, sensibilities or otherwise...I was simply making an attempt to clarify what I THINK Jerry was saying.
I'll take your response as a "butt out" command though, which I am now doing.
Exactly why I didn't reply. After dealing with customers for over 30 years, it seems that this customer may be one of those that just can't be pleased.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Regardless of specifics here, I would like to share my observations from having been the manager of Returns Management for $2.5 Billion dollar catalog company, 2nd in size only to JCPenney's operation in 2002. Starting in the 1950s, we saw the beginning of returns for credit as a marketing/differentiation tool. Not long after, this became the de facto expectation of customers and, along with that came some shenanigans on the part of both companies and customers. Those instances aside, I can tell you that the vast majority of customers DO follow the rules and intent in returns. As mentioned, Shipping the goods back from retail customer to merchant changes responsibilities and it becomes incumbent upon the shipper to ensure that the goods are received in salable condition or, in the case of damaged goods received from Mfr by customer, that the goods arrive in no worse condition than received.

Chris ships products from catalog orders, online or printed. In the mix, there are many areas where an error or misfortune can occur. Having overseen an operation that was initially taking in $367 Million in returns each year (dropped to $92 Million within 3 years), I have literally "seen it all" when it comes to returns. The approach he takes to satisfy customers and support the hobby would run many of you into the ground. I believe, like all business owners, that Chris wants satisfied customer outcomes for long-term business relationships. The notion that "the customer is always right", however, is not always the case.

Remember these tips going forward:
  1. Treat goods received as if they belonged to a close family friend - take extra care to return them in the same condition in which you received them
  2. Communicate clearly the concern, taking pictures or citing other evidence to support your claims
  3. Insure your return merchandise for full value to protect against damage
  4. Lastly, treat people with respect and they will work with you and give you benefit of the doubt in many instances as it is in their best interest

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 10-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris, before saying Blocker's gave some "bad advice" perhaps you should give them a call. Shop phone is 501-796-2556 and ask for Bryan. Tell him Critter sent you. I suspect we have an issue with either the wrong part being ordered or shipped. Blocker's didn't order the parts. All they knew was that they were not the right part. Just saying.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:48 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
Chris, before saying Blocker's gave some "bad advice" perhaps you should give them a call. Shop phone is 501-796-2556 and ask for Bryan. Tell him Critter sent you. I suspect we have an issue with either the wrong part being ordered or shipped. Blocker's didn't order the parts. All they knew was that they were not the right part. Just saying.
Good point, but as per Dave's description of the situation, he asked for a nice trim ring to fit his 15 x 7" wheel. We sent him correct trim rings for that application. The trim rings were still in the box (clearly labeled) when returned to Dave so I would have thought there should be some type of communication between the shop and Dave other than....'the trim rings don't fit'. The box is clearly labeled as 15 x 8 which should have been an immediate 'red flag' to the shop. It just so happens that these 15 x 8 trim rings fit 15 x 7 rally II wheels very nicely and we list them as such in both our catalog and online. I didn't mean to throw the shop under the bus, but there appears to be a clear miscommunication of some sort because Dave was convinced our trim rings were incorrect.

Old 10-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Default I accept.

I accept the terms of the refund offer. The explanation provided was also helpful and appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Exactly why I didn't reply. After dealing with customers for over 30 years, it seems that this customer may be one of those that just can't be pleased.

Jerry, I couldn't let this one slide. You are wrong AGAIN. I don't understand why some folks have the need to jump into someone else's business with their unsolicited, half-baked opinions. In my thread, I just stated my side of the story. This forum provides the ability for both sides to be heard. No value is added by random comments from non-participants unless your goal is to sound like a self important JA.

Old 10-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to stir the pot, but when posting about it here, gon'a get lots of responces.
Especially if not resolved yet.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-06-2010, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

[QUOTE=sprdave4264;4117472]I accept the terms of the refund offer. The explanation provided was also helpful and appreciated.

Jerry, I couldn't let this one slide. You are wrong AGAIN. I don't understand why some folks have the need to jump into someone else's business with their unsolicited, half-baked opinions. In my thread, I just stated my side of the story. This forum provides the ability for both sides to be heard. No value is added by random comments from non-participants unless your goal is to sound like a self important JA.[/QUOTE

I may be wrong; but I'm glad you got your problem resolved to your liking. But as I posted, this could have been accomplished WITHOUT coming on here and bashing the company without speaking with Chris beforehand. All you had to do was do a 'search' and you could have gotten all the information you needed.

Old 10-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Default true, but...

as it states in the rules at the top of the forum "If you are NOT the topic starter, please do NOT participate in the topic."

Old 10-06-2010, 08:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
as it states in the rules at the top of the forum "If you are NOT the topic starter, please do NOT participate in the topic."
Uh, those may be the rules BUT common sense and the way the REAL world works is that some of these other guys who have been on this board longer than you & much more involved, deserve the RESPECT with their opinions.

This is how THIS board operates. People put their comments on this board and get RESPONSES.

I think you owe an apology to these guys for trying to help you out.

Don
USMC Retired

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears

Last edited by SD421; 10-06-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:31 PM

Default enough already

Don, please report to the nearest VA hospital. Apparently the plate in your head is too small. Seriously, give it a rest. The forum worked as it was designed to and the issue is resolved. I am not sure why you and others still need to involve yourselves, but it seems pathological. Not sure what your hang up is about the real world, but I do live in it. I probably work more in one week than most people do in 2 or 3. In my world, I deal with problems head on and get results. If you and others want to be sheep, be my guest, but that isn't how things get done.

Old 10-07-2010, 12:45 AM
Administrator

Dave, Some of the long time members tend to get a little defensive for PY because they know we are long time car guys just like you and although we make mistakes, they know that we are and have always been as fair as reasonably possible. Thing is, you don't necessarily have to share that same respect. We'll have to earn it over time. A lot of times it's just miscommunication and this forum is here to improve the communication with our customers. As you say, the issue is resolved. No harm done on our side. I hope this situation helps gain your confidence.

Old 10-07-2010, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

sprdave4264
pm sent

Old 10-07-2010, 10:05 AM

Default Need to check my own plate.

"Don, please report to the nearest VA hospital. Apparently the plate in your head is too small."

Just wanted to apologize for going over the top on this one - it seemed amusing to me at the time but it is not my proudest moment when I look at it in the light of day. I do want to clarify one other point - I ordered the wrong part, obviously. That is not Blockers fault or PY's. Having said that, I think the return process could have gone smoother, to say the least. Water under the bridge, what is done is done and I am glad we could come to a resolution.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:59 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Glad it worked out for your sprdave. Good luck on the rest of the project.

Old 10-07-2010, 04:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Your right.
Never read instructions before....

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
"Don, please report to the nearest VA hospital. Apparently the plate in your head is too small."

Just wanted to apologize for going over the top on this one - it seemed amusing to me at the time but it is not my proudest moment when I look at it in the light of day. I do want to clarify one other point - I ordered the wrong part, obviously. That is not Blockers fault or PY's. Having said that, I think the return process could have gone smoother, to say the least. Water under the bridge, what is done is done and I am glad we could come to a resolution.
Good post!

Old 10-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Now that I too have looked at the rules for this Forum I owe sprdave4264 an apology. I shouldn't have posted anything. My apologies.

Don

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears
Old 10-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Suspended

stupidity is painful...you are the thinker, don...carry on..

Closed Thread