Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 08-02-2021, 09:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Just out of curiosity what manifolds flow better than the oversized long branch Rare manifolds with the bigger than stock collector?

I mean I have headers, so I agree with just getting headers, but I thought that large collector Long Branch replicas from rare reigned supreme in the stock type category.
We never did much testing with the long branch. My friend tried the Ram Air restorations long branch on his mid eleven second Firebird and put the headers back on after a short while.

Just to be clear Ram Air Restorations makes an excellent product and we are fortunate to have them. I've been buying their product since his father was selling them out of Texas. I would explore other options if it meant waiting months to get a back ordered part. There are other folks that have brought parts to market also.

Old 08-02-2021, 11:02 PM

FWIW......I got 625 HP thru a pair of the 3" outlet super long branch round port manifolds right out of the box.

Last edited by JSuchma; 08-02-2021 at 11:53 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSuchma For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

While we're off the subject...
Who wants to bet that the Edelbrock EFI Super Victor for the Dominator is actually out of production and soon to be discontinued?
They discontinued the Victor Dominator flange and I highly doubt they're selling more EFI Dominator flange Victors than they did non-EFI Dominator Victors.
My bet is they are selling off their last run of EFI Super Victors and that product is done.

220" Rear Engine Pontiac Powered Dragster
https://www.facebook.com/PontiacSpeedShop/
https://www.facebook.com/GoatZillaRacing/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/RebuildExcitement/
https://www.facebook.com/Call1844RacersRV/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/INJUNWARS/
Old 08-03-2021, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatZillaRacing View Post
While we're off the subject...
Who wants to bet that the Edelbrock EFI Super Victor for the Dominator is actually out of production and soon to be discontinued?
They discontinued the Victor Dominator flange and I highly doubt they're selling more EFI Dominator flange Victors than they did non-EFI Dominator Victors.
My bet is they are selling off their last run of EFI Super Victors and that product is done.
I'm not sure on that but atleast we'll have the Speedmaster single four with the seven different size intake ports.

Maybe SM will copy the Victors for us.

Old 08-03-2021, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Did RARE fix the 3" molds? I knew they were at the end of their life.

I ordered the “RM-4OS” 2.45” outlet for ‘68-‘72 A body. I didn’t see anything about 3” on their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 08-03-2021, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
I ordered the “RM-4OS” 2.45” outlet for ‘68-‘72 A body. I didn’t see anything about 3” on their site.

Their offerings seem slimmed down a lot when I just looked at their site yesterday. Im operating from memory here, but I believe they used to offer more Long Branch manifolds including a set with 3" ends.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
The Following User Says Thank You to RocktimusPryme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSuchma View Post
FWIW......I got 625 HP thru a pair of the 3" outlet super long branch round port manifolds right out of the box.
Can you share information about the combination? And a part #? A, B, or F body?

Old 08-03-2021, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
Give me a few days to dig out all the paperwork, as I built this motor over 10 years ago. BTW......it's a LARGE CID motor with E-heads and a mild solid roller.

Last edited by JSuchma; 08-03-2021 at 06:11 PM.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
I can't install my newly aquired engine with the round port E-heads into our '67 LeMans. Not until the RA round port cast iron manifolds are available. Who knows when that will be. Bummer.
66sprint is looking for the special manifolds (round-port) they did a run of that were redesigned for better fitment on 64-67 A-Body. They were drop-ins on 66-67 and minimal alteration on 64-65.
aka redesigned 68-72 A / 70-81 F round-ports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68WarDog View Post
JSuchma must have been one of the few lucky ones to get the EarlyBird/Fullsize LongBranch RoundPorts with 3" outlets.
afaik there aren't ANY round-port long branch manifolds available from any source currently - and have not been for a number of past years.
Seem to be a fair number of people hollering for them lately though

Old 08-03-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Todd, there were 3-4 pairs of unused repro long branch round port manifolds on eBay in the late winter early Soring. Each pair were listed for a few hundred more in price to what many of us would fathom a guess of the price that Paul will eventually rerelease his std outlet longbranches. At least one pair sold, and to a PY member. Only ones on eBay now are originals & priced to the MOON.

Agree, the Super long branch roundpirts were a very limited deal, would be interesting as to how many originally sold. Trying to remember if Paul also offered these in aluminum(?)

Old 08-03-2021, 08:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

mgarblik and Scott Roberts were a couple of the PY'ers hollering for them.
Plenty others, i just remember those 2 for sure.
Believe Dick Bonske needed a pair for his daughters 68 Bird

I hope they at least had a chance at those sets you saw (3" repops)
Anyone who needed them and passed them over - made a booboo .
and too , money is expensive

A nice original set of 68's hit ebay a while back for 1500
Got snapped up and re-appeared later for 3k or +

oh i forgot
Edelbrock heads are out of stock
my fault for making the trainwreck even worse.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 09:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, Edelbrock heads are out of stock. I haven't checked lately, but does this also apply to KRE's, especially the D-ports?

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 08-03-2021, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
OK, Edelbrock heads are out of stock. I haven't checked lately, but does this also apply to KRE's, especially the D-ports?
Edelbrock D-Port heads should be back in stock, at least complete heads in a couple weeks. Got that from a reliable source at Norwalk. Complete heads first, then bare heads. Round port, I didn't hear anything. KRE had D-Port heads on the shelf. That was from Kauffman themselves at Norwalk.

I personally gave up on getting round port ram air long branch iron manifolds. I had waited several years, not nearly as long as others, and changed course and bought D-port ones. Had to wait 4 months for them. I am in my mid 60's and want to enjoy some seat time before I am too old to drive. I also wasn't willing to pay more for exhaust manifolds than a set of complete aluminum heads by going the E-bay route. Compromises were made. I only need 500-550 HP. I can do that with D-ports with a smart cam choice and a little effort on the heads.

The Following User Says Thank You to mgarblik For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This ^. I agree with you MIke. I'm in my early 70's and time is ffying by. Want to get my GTO done so I can enjoy some seat time. Lke you I don't need more power than you do.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 08-04-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Give me a few days to dig out all the paperwork, as I built this motor over 10 years ago. BTW......it's a LARGE CID motor with E-heads and a mild solid roller.
I was finally able to dig out the envelope of paperwork on the motor last night.
First off let me say, I know that I could have made these numbers with a stock block and ported stock heads but my intensions were to bulid a high torque, pump gas street motor and be able to build up from there.

Here is the list of parts that went into the 535 build:

IA block, 4.35 bore
Crower billit crank, 4.5 stroke
E-heads, 69.8 cc 2.15 in / 1.77 ex valves. pushrod tubes installed on intake ports. ported as far as they would go. Sorry, could not find the flow sheet on them.
Comp solid roller, dur. at .050 in.254/ex.262 on 112. valve lift in.583/ex.585.
Diamond pistons. comp ratio 9.5-10. Can't seem to find the exact number on the build sheet.
67-69 F-body super long branch manifolds, SLB-2 with 3" outlets and exhaust system bought from Paul at the Pontiac Southern Nationals in 2003. My notes show that he was out of stock, but had 200 sets coming in so I had to wait for them to be shipped.

We dynoed with two intake setups: Ported Victor dominator and 1050 and a home gutted factory cast iron Q-jet intake and a home brew Q-jet.

The Victor had the plenum blended and was port matched to the heads. 1050 was done by DaVinci here in Houston.
I also wanted to try out a factory cast iron intake and quadrajet carb for that stock look that I was going for as well. I completely gutted the intake in the plenum except for 1" of the divider at the bottom.The runners were opened up extensively by hand. We ended up drilling some access holes in the runners. The quadrajet started life on a 71 Buick 455. I removed the primary booster rings and all casting flash, as well as recalibrating everything inside of it.I think it ended up flowing around 950 cfm with some help from Cliff's book. Thanks Cliff for the help and the parts.

Well the results were: Victor and Dominator, 626.6 HP at 5600 / 650.0 TRQ at 4700. Factory gutted intake and Quadzilla, 573.9 HP at 5400 / 619.7 TRQ at 4700.

The dyno date was 8/15/11 and everyone agreed that tube headers and a larger cam would really wake it up. Please give me your thoughts on this. Remember that this is a street motor and that I hate tube headers on the street!

Old 08-04-2021, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
67-69 F-body super long branch manifolds, SLB-2 with 3" outlets and exhaust system bought from Paul at the Pontiac Southern Nationals in 2003. My notes show that he was out of stock, but had 200 sets coming in so I had to wait for them to be shipped.
Did your notes (or memory) tell how much those 3" Super Manifolds cost in 2003 ?
I didn't realize he did 200 sets of those in particular.
200 more sets would be Great right now.
So many more RoundPort heads available now and so many more people buying/bought the heads , than they were back then.

At your power level in a street car, i wouldn't look for anymore power.
But you could go pretty close to the moon if you wanted to.
Congrats on a great package of supreme parts.
Probably not very many Pontiacs pushing over 600hp Natural Aspiration through cast iron manifolds. Probably not many of any brand (classic -not modern)

I think you are very lucky to have those manifolds - and obviously pushing them to their potential and making full use of them.
And show-casing their potential too .
Great Build

Old 08-04-2021, 04:11 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post

The E heads I ordered (#61529’s) are projected to be delivered to me by the end of August, not too bad of a wait.

Old 08-04-2021, 06:48 PM

Just found my 2003-1 R.A.R.E. catalog and reciept for the 3" manifolds and 3'' flanges. The manifolds were $569 for the pair and the 3" flanges were $20 each.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

10 years ago I paid a lot more than that for 3” long branch set used have only seen 1 set for sale since.

Old 08-04-2021, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
10 years ago I paid a lot more than that for 3” long branch set used have only seen 1 set for sale since.
Are yours the round port or the D-port version?