Old 10-18-2016, 12:23 AM
Suspended

The Pertronix II unit is the worst unit they sell as it is a lobe centered unit, which means it has to sense the lobes on the dist cam before it will start. I used it for about 3 days & took it back . I had that unit in my 68 Bird & hated it. I got the original unit & it was in the car for 5 years until I sold it. As far as i know it's in the car working to this day. The newer unit III is suppose to be an improved unit over the I as it has a built in rev limiter but is still built just like the I unit inside , & as posted I've had my original I unit in my car for about 33 years with no problems with it ever. Also if it goes bad all you have to do is take out the unit & put in a set of uni-points in it's place & your back on the road. I use to carry a spare set of uni-points in my glove box but took them out after about 20 years of no use. I believe in them.

Old 10-18-2016, 10:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via Yahoo to AROWHED

I'm on year 11 with my Dave Ray small body HEI, with no issues. Don't know if he is still in business though.

Old 10-19-2016, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
but gm has a conversion kit
I think this is the part #
ACDELCO D3968A {#19106555}
The online pictures sure look a lot like Pertronix. I wonder?? Same plant but different package??

Old 10-19-2016, 02:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
The Pertronix II unit is the worst unit they sell as it is a lobe centered unit, which means it has to sense the lobes on the dist cam before it will start. I used it for about 3 days & took it back . I had that unit in my 68 Bird & hated it. I got the original unit & it was in the car for 5 years until I sold it. As far as i know it's in the car working to this day. The newer unit III is suppose to be an improved unit over the I as it has a built in rev limiter but is still built just like the I unit inside , & as posted I've had my original I unit in my car for about 33 years with no problems with it ever. Also if it goes bad all you have to do is take out the unit & put in a set of uni-points in it's place & your back on the road. I use to carry a spare set of uni-points in my glove box but took them out after about 20 years of no use. I believe in them.
Tried one of these in my driver. Engine never fired once prior to unit becoming toast. New points n condenser and wallah.

Old 10-19-2016, 09:32 PM
Senior Chief

I put an early Pertronix set up in my 71 Caddy (Hearse) I was 345 miles from home on my way to Hot August Nights. It was 1 AM & 2 exits away from the Virginia Street exit when the Pertronix system went south. You ever try to get a Hearse towed at 1 AM? I had it towed to a Kragen parking lot left it there over night and installed points again the next morning and it's been fine ever since. I'll keep my points. My 62 Catalina came with points 54 years ago and you better believe they still work fine today. Not the same ones of course.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1971*Cadillac*Hearse & Boat 02.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	438998   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqJ,!p4E8WizKUz!BPPdziM0ZQ--60_3.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	438999   Click image for larger version

Name:	$(KGrHqRHJBoE8fG12UzUBPPd)8LSgg--60_3.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	439000   Click image for larger version

Name:	62 Catlina 03.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	439001   Click image for larger version

Name:	62 Catlina 07.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	439002  

Old 10-20-2016, 12:36 AM
Suspended

I don't understand why so many have so little luck with the Pertronix units when I've had my unit in for so long & so many others have problems with them. I don't run a full 12 volts from a line of it's own & maybe thats the reason. I run mine right off the points line that has the the resistor wire built in it. Maybe thats why mine has lasted so long with no problems. Plus I have never had what some say should be a power loss running them that way either.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using an electronic conversion made by Crane. The shop that built my motor dropped it in when they put it together and I have had zero issues with it since 2008. I did decide to buy a spare a few years ago just in case, but haven't had to use it. Points are fine. No problem with them, but I do enjoy the simplicity of the electronic ignition. One lest thing to have to tweak. Car runs great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	crane.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	439007  

Old 10-20-2016, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mviker View Post
I'm using an electronic conversion made by Crane. The shop that built my motor dropped it in when they put it together and I have had zero issues with it since 2008. I did decide to buy a spare a few years ago just in case, but haven't had to use it. Points are fine. No problem with them, but I do enjoy the simplicity of the electronic ignition. One lest thing to have to tweak. Car runs great.

Very interesting. It looks even better then the Petronix system. Thanks

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made
Old 10-20-2016, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I really like my Uni-lite conversion.......it's been hassle free for at least 20+ years!

Old 10-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrat1 View Post
I really like my Uni-lite conversion.......it's been hassle free for at least 20+ years!

what is the part number of the one you installed?

1969 GTO Judge Warwick blue/blue, RAIII, 4 speed, tach/gauges, Safe T track, 3.55's, ps and radio.

1971 Torino 351c 4v GT convertible. White on white with black interior
4 speed, shaker, am/fm, ps/pdb, buckets/console, ac.
One of 26 made