Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 11-29-2003, 11:44 AM
Suspended

May i ask why weld up ther flanges to the headers??
would it not be easier to remove without doing this??
i am currantly going to install a 3'inch system on my 67 gto, and can,t see welding anything up!! Second question, my 3inch crossover does not have a plate welded in the center of the crossover??? why is this done?? Third question?? anybody make 3 inch exhaust pipes for my 67 gto?? Im talking bolt on here!! my 2-1/2 inch system from Performance yrs. is not what i expected !! Pipes seem to turn into frame rails for some reason!! heard alot of guys complaining about this!!

Old 11-29-2003, 04:18 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67cruiser:
May i ask why weld up ther flanges to the headers??
would it not be easier to remove without doing this??
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Welding all connections is better for long term connections and makes it easier to uninstall if necessary. Mike has it set so if he wants to drop the X pipe, it all comes down as one piece with the removal of nuts and bolts. Once you U clamp and exhaust, the pipe becomes egg shaped and It is almost impossible to take apart.

---------------------------
Fool around, Get hurt, don't come crying to me.

Old 11-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Administrator

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 67cruiser:
Second question, my 3inch crossover does not have a plate welded in the center of the crossover??? why is this done?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The plates are for extra strength. Behind the plate is where the X is welded. That is an area subject to rust and stress flexing. The plates eliminate that. Pypes and Dr. Gas use this plate. Most others don't to cut costs.

Old 11-29-2003, 04:33 PM
Administrator

Third question?? anybody make 3 inch exhaust pipes for my 67 gto?? Im talking bolt on here!! my 2-1/2 inch system from Performance yrs. is not what i expected !! Pipes seem to turn into frame rails for some reason!! heard alot of guys complaining about this!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cruiser, The only issue on our tailpipes is with 70-71 GTO owners w/chrome tips. I have read every post on this exhaust forum and there is not any complaints about these tailpipes in either 2.5 or 3" that hasn't been resolved by proper installation proceedures. We have also personally tested both 2.5 and 3" on a 67 with no problems. It is critical on any tailpipes you purchase that the mufflers be positioned in an 'exact' spot AFTER the tailpipes are positioned. Many try to install a system from the front on back. You have to start at each end and work your way to the mufflers. With a good X pipe you can modify its width to get the mufflers in the proper location.

Anyway, if you had trouble with the 2.5" you will surely have trouble with the 3" using the same installation proceedures. If you have any pics you can post in a new topic or e-mail to me, I can help isolate the fit issues.

Old 11-29-2003, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK. here's the best sound I could engineer given my limited resources LOL....

If you think you might listen to it more than once please do a right click and save as to keep my ISP off my back.

Thanks - Mike

330kb

mp3 sound file