Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 02-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Slowbird,
Just because a belt has not been used to turn a camshaft does not mean that it does not a have long and prove history in industrial use where it may have handled must great loads.

Stan
Ok, I give their new belt is more proven and its better/stronger than BOP's belt which hasnt had a failure.

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Ok, I give their new belt is more proven and its better/stronger than BOP's belt which hasnt had a failure.
Atta boy...theres no use. They think it and its as good as gold...even better.

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
BEING STUPID WORKS THE SAME WAY! The rest of us suffer.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Slowbird,
Please note that nowhere did I say that there were any problems with the BOP's belt or another part of that system.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 02-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Not without him or GG buying a custom tall deck BOP belt drive set-up from Wade between now and Norwalk.

Tom V.
Think we have had this discussion before.

1) Wade (BOP) and Wade's Engineer (Mark) report that the BOP Belt Drive system has been extremely reliable. As mentioned, there are quite a few BOP systems out there in use currently. To say that a unproven Belt Drive set-up is better is premature.

2) Anyone can copy anything. The deal is if you copy Gates belt design material or tooth profile hobbed into the drive and driven gear, Gates and their lawyers will get very angry with you. Jesel and BOP have an agreement with Gates regarding their Belt Drive systems.

3) Belts for Industrial equipment DO have very high load capabilities. Most Industrial belts though ARE NOT designed for HIGH RPM use. High RPM meaning 7000+ rpm.
If you want to win a race you had better be spinning the engine 7000+ rpm to have a chance of winning.

4) So you need to find a 1" belt that is the right length, the right tooth profile, and the right material to survive in a racing application, not an industrial rpm application.
Good Luck and I hope you get it figured out and installed by Norwalk.

5)
a) If the New Belt Drive uses a 1" wide belt of the same material as the BOP design, then it is a copy because Jesel and BOP are the only ones with that agreement with Gates.

b) If the New Belt Drive uses the same tooth count for the drive and driven gears then it is a copy.

c) If the New Belt Drive uses the same tooth profile as the BOP then it is a copy.

So the point is, ANYONE can COPY anything. Saying that the COPY is better than the Original (without ANY track time to back it up) sounds like a certain head deal gone bad from an over-enthusiastic group from the peanut gallery.

Just saying.

Tom V.

ps I was told that Wade hurt his back and might be out of commission for a while.
Prayers to Wade and his family.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-10-2014, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Since we are on the subject... Are belt drives worth any measurable horsepower or is the benefit more or less reduced valvetrain harmonics?

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Holley Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/
Old 02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by R 70 Judge View Post
Since we are on the subject... Are belt drives worth any measurable horsepower or is the benefit more or less reduced valvetrain harmonics?
People like Grumpy Jenkins felt there was which is why he ran a Nylon Gear set-up in his Pro Stock Vega years ago. Grumpy did stuff for a reason.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Vaught For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 05:13 PM
Boost Engineer

Again, I really hope they get the engine/car together so that Jack, Jeff, Mike, and the rest of the ECM guys can skull drag their stuff down the track at Norwalk this August.

Tom V.

Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
No dig, just wanting info.
So who else is currently running this different manufacture belt system to be proven stronger and better?
Is it available to the public?

Old 02-10-2014, 05:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Measurable? Only Jenkins would have known the answer to that deal.

Reduced Valvetrain harmonics? Would be high on my list as a possible reason.

Tom V.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Ease of advancing/retarding the cam is a big plus to me. Good hp gains can be found there that most never see because of the work involved to do it normally.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 06:32 PM
Suspended

Quote:

Reduced Valvetrain harmonics? Would be high on my list as a possible reason.

Tom V.
That would be the main benefit in my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scott Roberts For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1st off... Its NOT a 1" belt! Its a wider stronger belt used on certain non Pontiac applications... It may be different length than a BOP spec'd belt.

It may or may not be available for production or for those needing a replacement for their tall deck.

Dont know if their are production plans for standard deck with similar width belt.

This one is for the IA tall deck Bill is putting together.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Again, I really hope they get the engine/car together so that Jack, Jeff, Mike, and the rest of the ECM guys can skull drag their stuff down the track at Norwalk this August.

Tom V.
My junk is coming along nicely. Gaby should have everything by early March then a week to assemble then dyno.

King Kinslers ride is going to be a little hotter come this year also. If he makes it to Norwalk he will be hard to beat for a lot of people.

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
The Following User Says Thank You to LiL Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 07:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by twooldgoats View Post
He didn't say that. You need to improve your reading skills. That comment of yours is what starts stuff up here. And, no, I don't have a dog in this fight. I use Wade's belt drive and it performs flawlessly.

Jim
Not everyone can put up such a helpful and courteous post like you have here, if he needs to work on his reading skills you most certainly should put in the same amount of time working on your people skills!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Think we have had this discussion before.

1) Wade (BOP) and Wade's Engineer (Mark) report that the BOP Belt Drive system has been extremely reliable. As mentioned, there are quite a few BOP systems out there in use currently. To say that a unproven Belt Drive set-up is better is premature.

2) Anyone can copy anything. The deal is if you copy Gates belt design material or tooth profile hobbed into the drive and driven gear, Gates and their lawyers will get very angry with you. Jesel and BOP have an agreement with Gates regarding their Belt Drive systems.

3) Belts for Industrial equipment DO have very high load capabilities. Most Industrial belts though ARE NOT designed for HIGH RPM use. High RPM meaning 7000+ rpm.
If you want to win a race you had better be spinning the engine 7000+ rpm to have a chance of winning.

4) So you need to find a 1" belt that is the right length, the right tooth profile, and the right material to survive in a racing application, not an industrial rpm application.
Good Luck and I hope you get it figured out and installed by Norwalk.

5)
a) If the New Belt Drive uses a 1" wide belt of the same material as the BOP design, then it is a copy because Jesel and BOP are the only ones with that agreement with Gates.

b) If the New Belt Drive uses the same tooth count for the drive and driven gears then it is a copy.

c) If the New Belt Drive uses the same tooth profile as the BOP then it is a copy.

So the point is, ANYONE can COPY anything. Saying that the COPY is better than the Original (without ANY track time to back it up) sounds like a certain head deal gone bad from an over-enthusiastic group from the peanut gallery.

Just saying.

Tom V.

ps I was told that Wade hurt his back and might be out of commission for a while.
Prayers to Wade and his family.
i've been looking at Gates Belt & Hub data for a desing at work : Not sure why there are all kinds of warnings for belts running faster than 5000 rpm with 50 HP.

Harmonic reduction: i really like the Rattler theory for converting harmonic Accelerations (combustion) into power for use on the Compression strokes. excellent for any constant RPM or near constant RPM like a high stall converter car. Not sure if Rattler is excellent for a 3-speed Stickcar that has to wind-out RPM for accelleration.

Last edited by Half-Inch Stud; 02-10-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Boost Engineer

Well EVERYONE should be happy that Bill has his belt drive deal all figured out!

Sounded like he still was not going to show up though. We can only hope he does.

It sounds like King Kinsler and Jack should be ready. Brian with his stuff might be the only show with a chance. Unless Brian (Slowbird) makes a trip too. Would love to see his car run. Tom V.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
i've been looking at Gates Belt & Hub data for a desing at work : Not sure why there are all kinds of warnings for belts running faster than 5000 rpm with 50 HP.

Harmonic reduction: i really like the Rattler theory. converts harmonic Accelerations into power for the compression strokes.
Well, HIS, you have something there for sure. "warnings for belts running faster than 5000 rpm with 50 HP" Someone can make a statement and it will not mean much. Read it out of the EXPERTS book and it takes a brave man to buck those odds. But what do I know. PS The Belt that Jesel and BOP use is the best in the game from Gates, according to BOP.

Tom V.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll Be in assembly by the 1st week of march...dyno, then hopefully testing when the tracks open...

Being dead, it is not hard on you. You don't even know you're dead. It is hard on everyone else that is not dead.
The Following User Says Thank You to mike leech For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Well, HIS, you have something there for sure. "warnings for belts running faster than 5000 rpm with 50 HP" Someone can make a statement and it will not mean much. Read it out of the EXPERTS book and it takes a brave man to buck those odds. But what do I know. PS The Belt that Jesel and BOP use is the best in the game from Gates, according to BOP.

Tom V.
Yes tom, but better/best is such a subjective term for some. If its really liked its the same as better. Or so it seems.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Barton View Post
Not everyone can put up such a helpful and courteous post like you have here, if he needs to work on his reading skills you most certainly should put in the same amount of time working on your people skills!
......he said sarcastically.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines