Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-11-2018, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Go get -em Jack. World's most exotic Pontiac. Mickey Thompson would love that engine.

Old 08-11-2018, 09:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Lookin' good Jack. Keep after it. I love daring to be different projects like this.

Agree with Mike... M/T would like it. Probably Smokey too!

Old 08-22-2018, 03:08 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

All set to fire up, and air/fuel monitor system is on its way to me.
With all this down time, I've been pecking away at little things that I've wanted to improve on- change all gauge fittings for dyno compatibility, integrating all tanks (fuel, oil, water) with the engine setup to avoid dyno cell connections, etc. Today I finished an "incremental" adjustment deal for the blower belt idler. The idler is the clamp-to-snout style, which is difficult to make small repeatable adjustments to. I'm still dependent on the clamp to locate the arm when running, but ran a strut which positions the arm (via threaded adjustment) while the clamp is being re-tightened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	idler_adjust.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	491165  

... or has a Pontiac born the same year as Jim Wangers? (1926}
Old 08-22-2018, 06:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck Jack!

Old 08-22-2018, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck,
Do you have a dyno date?

Old 08-23-2018, 01:53 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I need some test-running before I schedule a dyno session.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Warn the wife n neighbors n fire it up! Good luck Jack!

Old 08-24-2018, 02:03 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Amazing how help comes from unexpected sources. On a british bike forum, a member from Switzerland pointed out to me that the air/fuel ratio data really needs throttle position simultaneously logged! Now that I've thanked him, I can look at adding a TPS.

Old 08-24-2018, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
Amazing how help comes from unexpected sources. On a british bike forum, a member from Switzerland pointed out to me that the air/fuel ratio data really needs throttle position simultaneously logged! Now that I've thanked him, I can look at adding a TPS.

Jack,

In land speed racing, is part throttle operation important? If it isn't, it seems like worrying about A/F ratio at part throttle is an unnecessary complication. I bring this up even though my knowledge of land speed racing is almost non-existent. I just know that in drag-racing (except maybe finish line bracket racing), part throttle operation isn't a big factor.

Jim

****'63 Tempest, 475" IAII, Wenzler Super Chief heads, converted to blown alcohol, Birdcatcher, Littlefield 10-71 high helix. Best pass to date: 7.67 @ 181.59 (1/4 mi.), 4.95 @ 143.67 (1/8 mi.), 1.18 (60 ft)

7.75 @ 178 pass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iez3...ature=youtu.be

First seven second pass(7.98): https://wwwoutube.com/watch?v=DK17...ature=youtu.be

Thanks to Paul Carter @ Koerner Racing Engines

Old 08-25-2018, 02:08 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Jim- you're right that part-throttle running isn't terribly important. In pulling it was of no importance. For LSR there will be some consideration for part-throttle, assuming I could be traction limited on some surfaces.

But the reason I need TPS logging now is for test running the new engine configuration. Just seeing air/fuel ratios without knowing the corresponding throttle positions would not be very meaningful. Also for the next dyno session, I'm hoping to initially do some part throttle runs to have data to inspect prior to using full throttle (and of course to discover leaks, etc. prior to full throttle running).

Simply running the engine no-load to build heat was an issue on the dyno. Lack of good air/fuel data caused me to run it very fat to be on the safe side. But the oil became so diluted with alcohol that I had to change oil (9 quarts) before running it under load.

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 08-25-2018 at 02:23 AM.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jack, wouldn't it be enough to see your afr's compared to your rpm graph?

Old 08-26-2018, 02:42 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
... wouldn't it be enough to see your afr's compared to your rpm graph?...
Yes, once it makes a full-throttle dyno sweep. But I need to know more about the air/fuel numbers before I commit to a full-throttle run.

Old 09-23-2018, 09:49 PM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Slow progress with the data logging (so what else is new?). With professional IT help (my son) I finally saw a real-time display today of the two sensors I added (hurray!) and four EGTs. I still need to confirm functioning of air/fuel ratios, RPM, and boost pressure prior to running the engine.

Old 10-08-2018, 12:35 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

A good test run! No leaks (fuel/oil/coolant) nor other issues. Air/fuel ratios were all somewhat fat, as planned. Great throttle response- log showed 6,400 RPM on half-throttle "jabs". The only data not logged was boost pressure (software? hardware?) but gauge showed about 10 PSI, so blower drive is at least in the ballpark. Data log will help improve port nozzle balance.

Next.. schedule a dyno session.

Old 10-08-2018, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That's GREAT news. Really happy for you. Need to have camera set-up on tri-pod for dyno day. Lots of interest in this project from many NON-PONTIAC , engine friends of mine. John Kasse, Barry Rabotnick, Darin Morgan, Bruce Parsons, Colin Myers, James Halderman, and others are all in the loop and hope for your success. This engine is a cutting edge adaptation no matter what platform it is based on. GO GET EM !!!

Old 10-10-2018, 03:05 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Showed the test-run air/fuel numbers to the dyno guys, so we could discuss initial jetting for the dyno. Scheduled for 10/26/18 (and 27th if necessary).

Old 10-10-2018, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good luck!!

Old 11-01-2018, 12:30 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

The laptop showed "SD card error" so no logs of air/fuel ratios, but we were able to use live air/fuel ratio displays. With that and EGTs we were able to get port nozzles balanced pretty well on all four cylinders. I don't yet have copies of the dyno logs, so can't comment about resulting numbers. Got in quite a lot of run time (would you believe 13 gallons of methanol?). After three days of thrashing, I thought maybe the engine would come home undamaged. But today cylinder #3 died with leakage at the head gasket (probably not merely the gasket at fault). So..... it's got to come all apart.... again....

Old 11-01-2018, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
The laptop showed "SD card error" so no logs of air/fuel ratios, but we were able to use live air/fuel ratio displays. With that and EGTs we were able to get port nozzles balanced pretty well on all four cylinders. I don't yet have copies of the dyno logs, so can't comment about resulting numbers. Got in quite a lot of run time (would you believe 13 gallons of methanol?). After three days of thrashing, I thought maybe the engine would come home undamaged. But today cylinder #3 died with leakage at the head gasket (probably not merely the gasket at fault). So..... it's got to come all apart.... again....
Wow Jack you are truly an innovator that has awesome machinist skills. I respect all the hard work you have put into this project and can't wait to see it run on the flats. Keep at it you are so close.

Robert

Old 11-01-2018, 10:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Was getting a bit concerned when I didn't hear anything for 2-3 days. If your going back to the dyno anytime soon, you must get a decent working laptop with software new enough to get your numbers. That kind of dumb stuff is so frustrating. Sounds like with 13 gallons run through, you made 7-8 pulls? Looking forward to seeing some data on the runs. Valve train and cam drive/blower drive was fine? RPM ranges for the pulls? My off the top guess is you pinched a ring land. So common when working out initial tune-ups at this level. Glad to hear you were able to make some pulls and get closer on the tune-up and see where you are power wise. Keep the faith, you are inching closer every time.